Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bye Bye First Capital Connect

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I hope they are not the same group that runs the Brighton to Portsmouth service who only run trains that stop at most stations but also do not provide toilets on their services,disgraceful in 2014.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I hope they are not the same group that runs the Brighton to Portsmouth service who only run trains that stop at most stations but also do not provide toilets on their services,disgraceful in 2014.

That's Southern, and yes it is disgraceful they have no toilets on that service.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's Southern, and yes it is disgraceful they have no toilets on that service.

Your anger is totally mis-placed, the DFT made Southern hand that rolling stock over to LOROL so probably something to do with Boris.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Your anger is totally mis-placed, the DFT made Southern hand that rolling stock over to LOROL so probably something to do with Boris.

Correction, the DFT made Southern move the 3-car 377 trains (with toilets and 1st class) onto South London suburban services and to replace these, the DFT gave them older class 313 units which were made redundant by London Overground.

The 313s are to be replaced soon, more 377s are on the way for Southern, this includes the units currently used on Thameslink services which will transfer to Southern once the new Thameslink stock arrives.

But yes, its all down to the Department for Transport at the end of the day, they havent got a clue......

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Regardless of Herr T's rubbish the German trains are just as unreliable as British trains and in places have worse timekeeping
Absolute bollocks. As much as Herr Tubthumper's pro German mantra can be a bit tiresome at times, he is absolutely SPOT ON when it comes to the trains. They are absolutely shìt here compared to Germany (and Scandinavia, France and even Italy)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
great start for the new people cancelled and delayed ffs...

Absolute joke this morning. Get to Portslade to be told our train is going via Victoria only for the on train announcer to correct this to London Bridge. Then they change their minds back to Victoria again only not stopping at Clapham Junction. Get to Victoria to be told good service on the tubes except Northern line, except it isn't, the Victoria line from Brixton is also up the swanny so the Northbound platform ends up overcrowded. This is all getting the early train FFS, waking up at 5.30am to avoid the chaos I knew was in the post. Christ knows what it was like later on.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Absolute bollocks. As much as Herr Tubthumper's pro German mantra can be a bit tiresome at times, he is absolutely SPOT ON when it comes to the trains. They are absolutely shìt here compared to Germany (and Scandinavia, France and even Italy)

Not according to recent statistics:

• Satisfaction with punctuality and reliability is greatest in the UK (73%), with France (57%), Germany (48%), Italy (42%) and Poland (36%) all scoring lower.
  • The highest rates of satisfaction for provision of information during train journeys, particularly in the event of delays, are found in the UK (70%), with France on 43% and Germany 40%.
  • Satisfaction with overall accessibility of stations for people with reduced mobility is highest in the UK (65%), France (57%) and Belgium (55%).

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Another HYSTERICAL posting, what is your experiences of French, Scandinavian and even Italian railways ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not according to recent statistics:

• Satisfaction with punctuality and reliability is greatest in the UK (73%), with France (57%), Germany (48%), Italy (42%) and Poland (36%) all scoring lower.
  • The highest rates of satisfaction for provision of information during train journeys, particularly in the event of delays, are found in the UK (70%), with France on 43% and Germany 40%.
  • Satisfaction with overall accessibility of stations for people with reduced mobility is highest in the UK (65%), France (57%) and Belgium (55%).

But "satisfaction" is relative. If, a decade ago, your trains were 99% reliable and now they are only 95% reliable then you'll be less satisfied. What this survey probably shows is that our train service is improving, if 73% is our level of satisfaction. There is clearly a lot of investment going in, hence the frequent engineering works. My issue with our trains isn't all down to our train companies, but rather it is down to 50 years of chronic underinvestment - we are playing catch up. Unfortunately, it is the commuters who are paying for everything - the rail network doesn't appear to be part of an integrated national transport policy.

I pay £3,000 a year to travel not very far (25 miles each way?). That is a lot of money, and yet it frequently falls apart during the winter months.

And anecdotally, I have never had issues on the DB network - the prices are massively lower for a start. I won't compare punctuality to be fair, as I only ever use our trains in rush hour really.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Can I just chip in and say that, although the trains themselves are great, the punctuality here in ikealand is only around 80% on long journeys.

http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/02/24/sj-punctuality-figures-reveal-need-for-investment-fritzson/

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Another HYSTERICAL posting, what is your experiences of French, Scandinavian and even Italian railways ?
I've used them all Ernest, admittedly as a tourist. The thing that stands out more than reliability is how much CHEAPER they all are than in this country.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Absolute joke this morning. Get to Portslade to be told our train is going via Victoria only for the on train announcer to correct this to London Bridge. Then they change their minds back to Victoria again only not stopping at Clapham Junction. Get to Victoria to be told good service on the tubes except Northern line, except it isn't, the Victoria line from Brixton is also up the swanny so the Northbound platform ends up overcrowded. This is all getting the early train FFS, waking up at 5.30am to avoid the chaos I knew was in the post. Christ knows what it was like later on.

It is a complete joke, I've already been late twice in 6 days. :angry:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
great start for the new people cancelled and delayed ffs...

Network Rail incompetence, signalling issues at New Cross.

Can change train companies as much as you want - you cant change the shower of sh*t that is Network Rail.

I've used them all Ernest, admittedly as a tourist. The thing that stands out more than reliability is how much CHEAPER they all are than in this country.

This difference is that other governments heavily subsidise rail fares, where as in the UK, our government want to pay as less as possible and want the passenger to take the cost. Were all in this together and all that bollocks.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Network Rail incompetence, signalling issues at New Cross.

Can change train companies as much as you want - you cant change the shower of sh*t that is Network Rail.

I guess by using the word incompetence you have the full details of what failed, why it failed, the response time and how long it took to fix to be able to pass such a judgment?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I guess by using the word incompetence you have the full details of what failed, why it failed, the response time and how long it took to fix to be able to pass such a judgment?

He won't have any evidence however be assured it is an easy whipping post to lay the blame on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He only agrees with the stats he likes , if i posted a 100% reliability stat from the railways here which I could he would say he it doesn't count.

100% :lolol:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

The fares depends on the journey and comparing like with like, but as someone who hasn't paid for a ticket in 35 years and will never , ever do so I am not in a position to comment about this and the price of tickets

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Does anyone ever find themselves reading a fairly interesting thread, only to find it turn into a long argument between people that care way too much about something of very little consequence?

For what it's worth, the FCC carriages made me want to cry when I imagined the horrors they must have seen over the years, especially to end up in the state that they did. Poor things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here