Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] London football clubs. Biggest and smallest

Jan 1, 2014
The double used to be considered winning the FA cup and league in the same year. Has that changed now?

and no, Chelsea haven't achieved what Spurs have achieved in Englisg football, winning the 2 biggest cups in the same season.

Which they did in 2010...
You have a shocking case argument, If you take you anti Chelsea specs off and actually knew what you were talking about you'll see historically they were on a par with Spurs before the Roman era and were only close to financial hardship because Matt Harding died in a crash. Chelsea hold record attendance, first English side to win a European cup all before the money would you believe.
But the last 15 years there is no contest, have a gander on facebook and you'll see they have 30m more fans than Spurs, now even discounting plastics that is a ****ing huge number, and more than Arsenal. And they wipe the floor on both of them with trophies in modern times.
They have also won more Champions League titles than Arsenal and Tottenham combined I believe.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Chelsea were not the first English side to win a European cup. Didn't Spurs win the European cup winners cup in 1962/63 Manchester United European Cup all before Chelsea's ECWC replay win

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
On channel 4 there is a programmer about pilots in remote destinations. There is a remote tribe I'm Papua new guinea and a few of them were wearing Chelsea shirts. Plastics

These shirts are invariably donated to charity clothing appeals and end up all over the world in impoverished countries.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Bet it wasn't 15 years ago

To be fair, as long as I've been here there's always been a Chelsea presence in the town but it has certainly increased in the past decade to make them the leading club here.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I was at The Connaught by gate 16 in Beckton, The Ordanance in Canning town market and for a short while at The Ruskin in East Ham. Plus a couple in Mile End. That was when I was a relief manager for Trumans in the late 60s.

I work in E14, The Ordanance closed a couple of years back. Looked a complete sh*t hole for a few years leading up to closure. Although i'm sure it would have been an interesting boozer to have a drink in back in the 70s or 80s.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
To be fair, as long as I've been here there's always been a Chelsea presence in the town but it has certainly increased in the past decade to make them the leading club here.

Having grown up in the home counties I can confirm Chelsea have drawn a lot of support from there long before the Abromvich era, i'm sure there are many more 'plastics' but i'd argue it's Arsenal who have benefitted most from grabbing new fans from the southern home counties.

For me it's partly the decades of exodus from working class areas of Chelsea's fan base to nearby boroughs and partly the fact that it's very easy to travel to chelsea's ground for people outside of London often without the need for using the overground.
There's a Chelsea pub near where I used to live in east croydon (that had been a chelsea pub for decades) the landlord told me you could finish your pint there at 2pm and easily get to the match with time to spare via a single train from east croydon.
Also If you use Clapham junction as a hub, Chelsea's ground is very well connected to west brompton for a huge number of people, i'd hazard a guess at millions.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Interesting debate, My take-

Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs
West Ham
Charlton
Palace
QPR
Fulham
Millwall
Brentford
Orient
Wimbledon
Dagenham

I think now Chelsea have over taken Spurs, Spurs still have big support all over London but really need to get the new ground sorted and to win a couple of cups to get back above Chelsea. Palace, Charlton and QPR. Not much in it really, Whilst I would have no problem saying Charlton have been bigger than Palace over the years I don't think I could say the same about QPR. Close though. Fulham had a great run in the premiership on Harrods money but I can see them slipping away now. Millwall will always be Millwall attracting the same dickheads. Brentford and Orient and two great clubs who I have always liked.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs
West Ham
Charlton
Palace
QPR
Fulham
Millwall
Brentford
Orient
Wimbledon
Dagenham

I think now Chelsea have over taken Spurs, Spurs still have big support all over London but really need to get the new ground sorted and to win a couple of cups to get back above Chelsea. Palace, Charlton and QPR. Not much in it really, Whilst I would have no problem saying Charlton have been bigger than Palace over the years I don't think I could say the same about QPR. Close though. Fulham had a great run in the premiership on Harrods money but I can see them slipping away now. Millwall will always be Millwall attracting the same dickheads. Brentford and Orient and two great clubs who I have always liked.

Out of interest by what criteria do you place Palace above QPR and Fulham?

I agree its relatively close but both have more top flight seasons with qpr having a cup win. It's also unfair to compare attendances because of Palace's relative isolation and huge catchment area, Fulham for instance have been in financial meltdown in recent times and had their support threatened by neighbours Chelsea.

Like I say it's close but i'd argue if you polled other fans, most would place Palace below both IMO.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012

I agree its relatively close but both have more top flight seasons with qpr having a cup win. It's also unfair to compare attendances because of Palace's relative isolation and huge catchment area, Fulham for instance have been in financial meltdown in recent times and had their support threatened by neighbours Chelsea.

Like I say it's close but i'd argue if you polled other fans, most would place Palace below both IMO.

I would place us below Fulham but above Charlton. Then again its all subjective, someone really needs to sort out a formula as these could be argued about for years to come.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs
West Ham
Charlton
Palace
QPR
Fulham
Millwall
Brentford
Orient
Wimbledon
Dagenham

Yes! I agree with that man.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011

Yep easy to argue a few different options. I suppose I was just looking at it from my own perspective. I have been going around 35 years and for the first 25 years Fulham were never really up to much. QPR have never consistently had bigger crowds than Palace or Charlton. Another thing that I could add is that Charlton and Fulham and to a lesser extent QPR do have very average away followings. Someone anorak really does need to make up a formula for this kind of thing. Don't think these guys got it quite right -http://www.bigclubornot.co.uk/index.html

None of the Middle '4' have any chance of doing a Chelsea and catching up West Ham IMO.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Chelsea, West Ham and Spurs all got relegated and spent 10 years in the Championship then at the end of those 10 years Spurs would have the biggest attendances, West Ham second and Chelsea third.

Spurs and West Ham have entrenched support in their geographical areas and filtering up northwards towards Stevenage for Spurs, eastwards out to Essex for West Ham. I fancy these fans would still make the effort to watch their side in a lower division. West London is more fragmented with Fulham, Brentford, QPR on the scene, and you wonder how much core support Chelsea really have compared with Spurs and Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here