Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ice bucket challenge

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Yeah it gets a bit dull seeing them all over the internet but not half as tedious as listening to people moaning about it. I had a couple of nominations late in the day which have made me decide to do some fund raising which I probably wouldn't have. The good probably outweighs the bad.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I did get nominated, but I didn't do it on the grounds that I prefer any charity donations I make to be my own business. I can't abide the idea of forced charity. To each their own though, if other people choose to do it that's their business.

Aside from that side of things, I refuse to have videos or photos of me posted on the Internet.

Spot on sir.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I simply cannot see a negative in this whole scenario, it has helped raise millions for a charity that otherwise would raise thousands, how can anyone say that 15 seconds of fun on Fb has any negative affect on the ice-ee or the viewers? It is entirely voluntary.

I tend to believe that most of those being all sniffy about it are probably not the sort to donate to any worthy cause other than themselves anyway.....or just consider themselves 'too cool for school'

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I simply cannot see a negative in this whole scenario, it has helped raise millions for a charity that otherwise would raise thousands, how can anyone say that 15 seconds of fun on Fb has any negative affect on the ice-ee or the viewers? It is entirely voluntary.

I tend to believe that most of those being all sniffy about it are probably not the sort to donate to any worthy cause other than themselves anyway.....or just consider themselves 'too cool for school'

Well, I can only speak for myself, but having raised plenty of money over the years (including for the REMF) doing cycle rides, walks, swims etc. I felt by the time I was challenged and the public awareness had been achieved for the cause, I wasn't actually raising anything by tipping a bucket over my head. So I made a donation and that was that. It was all lot a fun at the start, but perhaps all those embracing having a bucket tipped over them, might also do a marathon, or ride 100+ miles or some other significant challenge that requires some dedication, training and sacrificing some time and raise a decent sum for a cause. Just a thought.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Aside from that side of things, I refuse to have videos or photos of me posted on the Internet.

Interesting ideology Frutos and one that I share, but how can you possibly police it when you are out socially because there's usually someone with their phone out, either taking a photo of you all sitting round a pub table, restaurant table etc.?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Interesting ideology Frutos and one that I share, but how can you possibly police it when you are out socially because there's usually someone with their phone out, either taking a photo of you all sitting round a pub table, restaurant table etc.?
I simply stay out of the way. Also thankfully my friends know and are considerate to my views on this one, so it generally isn't an issue.

To the best of my knowledge, I feature in one group photo online and that from an angle that I am unrecognisable. I've hated having my photo taken since childhood and will quite happily duck out of family/wedding photos etc...if at all possible.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I heard it was £3 if you did it, £10 if you didn't, but I agree you're meant to donate either way.

Yeah I think the higher figures were when it started with celebrities, but I think just do it to spread awareness and donate whatever you feel comfortable with.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Only like 20% goes into research

Most directors are on over 150k a year

Sorry for the late reply. At MNDA, there is one employee on £90-£99k and 4 on £60-£70k, no one on £150k.
62% of money raised goes on research or care and support.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Our whole shoot did it (half on Saturday, half the week before), under the farmers tractor bucket full of stupidly cold water. Never ending torrent!

All a good laugh and over £500 went to Yorkshire Air Ambulance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here