Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now the travellers are in Withdean Park!

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Simply set fire to their 'homes' at night when they are sleeping as they are trespassing.
Either that or move in with some tow trucks which always sends them running. I have found this is the best deterrent in my previous experience as pikey enforcer up north.

so killing people is fair game to you then :wanker:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Exactly. What if Richard Carpenter were to be reading it - how would he feel?

Genuine question, are you saying Richard Carpenter is a traveller?

When he played for BHA I read he lived on a travellers site and looked after it as a sort of caretaker, there was no mention of him being an actual traveller, I have never heard anyone else say he is one.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
What point are you attempting to make ? Travellers who invade OUR parks and leave a mess are unwelcome as well as tourists who leave rubbish behind. We the local tax payer pay to have their crap cleaned up after they have left.

In general tourists don't steal from local businesses or intimidate and threaten locals.

I think you need to be careful how you use the word general, as I am sure most travelers, as annoying as you may find them, dont do any of these 3 things I think its more that you find them an annoyance.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
But in the context of this thread, people have only used certain words in a pejorative context. Nobody has been criticised on this thread for a reference to a meat -based dish popular with northerners. Similarly, you can refer to the Queen all you like, it's not going to upset anyone. If you called someone a "mincing ****ing queen", on the other hand, quite rightly, somebody might get annoyed.

I really can't be doing with all this "PC gone mad" stuff, which in reality, barely exists outside the imagination of the tabloid press.
Your'e right with the statement that nobody has been been criticised for using the word F a g g o t as regards the dish,my point is that if you look back on the post you can see that I was making play on the word with the real meaning of the word as a dish.
If PC barely exist outside the Tabloid press,how come when you write the word in a post it is starred out on here.
That aside Edna,I understand the Mods have to walk the line...(There's a song in there somewhere) with regards advertisers,but really,some people have to man up and accept the language as it is.
I wish you a goodnight hope your moderator job gets easier...no offence meant.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think you need to be careful how you use the word general, as I am sure most travelers, as annoying as you may find them, dont do any of these 3 things I think its more that you find them an annoyance.

What world do you live in?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

It's EXACTLY what happened in Hangleton the other week just round the corner from me. Then add the tonnes of rubbish and human excrement they left behind and you'll see why they are not welcome.

The corner shop and the Offie lost lots of stock, a young lady watched as they stole her young cat off the street ( when challenged they threatened to hit her and the police did nothing when it was reported ), when locals approached them and asked them to leave the lovely travellers threatened to set their dogs on the locals. Ask our two local councillors how they were threatened when they turned up.

I suggest you stop talking out your backside about something you clearly know nothing about.

And no, I don't need to be careful, as all I've posted are facts.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What's that got to do with your argument?

Did you think that 'voting out the Greens' will change how evicting them is achieved? The council has to operate within the law, which is exactly what it does - whoever is in charge.

Its about a tougher stance so that they move to more friendly areas so that the council do not have to start any legal process.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Somewhat pathetic response, this is a public message board so if anything posted by a member of the board is wrong or could lead to potential legal action the owner accountable, hence why we have moderators.

Have a read of this:

"Pikey comes from the word pike, meaning toll road. Nothing else. Nothing derogatory. It is simply a short hand to describe a person who lives on the road. It’s just a bit quicker to say, quite wrongly, ‘pikey’, instead of ‘person from the traveller community who lives on the road’, which is why you tend to get a lot people saying it, particularly when they are telling jokes. It’s not an insult, it’s a form of short hand."

Not sure exactly who would take legal action in an instance like this, but anyway it proves once again that the world really has gone mad.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Have a read of this:

"Pikey comes from the word pike, meaning toll road. Nothing else. Nothing derogatory. It is simply a short hand to describe a person who lives on the road. It’s just a bit quicker to say, quite wrongly, ‘pikey’, instead of ‘person from the traveller community who lives on the road’, which is why you tend to get a lot people saying it, particularly when they are telling jokes. It’s not an insult, it’s a form of short hand."

Not sure exactly who would take legal action in an instance like this, but anyway it proves once again that the world really has gone mad.

I like to call them " do as you likeys" :whistle:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
We kicked them out of 3 sites in Eastbourne last weekend, wouldnt be surprised if its the same lot. Police and Council moved them on......and then the Council had to pay a fair bit to clear up their mess.

Enjoy :wave:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Its a bit odd that all the nasty hurtfull words have been moderated out , then you scroll down and see the tags for the thread :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Have a read of this:

It doesn't matter where the term derived from. Every word or term derives from somewhere and something. It is used as a derogatory term to cover the travelling community and has been deemed hateful.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Have a read of this:

There are plenty of offensive words that come a short hand but have clearly become offensive. The shortened version of Pakistani has, for example, become a term that is frequently used in a derogatory sense, while the N word is just another way of saying black, but once again is clearly offensive. The origins of a word do not denote it's current usage, or any offence that may be taken from it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Have a read of this:

Have a read of this:

"A gardener is thought to have made legal history after being convicted of racially aggravated harassment for using the word ‘pikey’."

http://metro.co.uk/2007/12/13/pikey-is-now-a-race-hate-word-583752/

The man concerned assaulted a bouncer and abused a manageress. The "racially aggravated" part of the conviction was for use of "pikey". The case was heard in 2007; 7 years ago. There are other convictions out there - try googling?

Whether you like it or not, "pikey" has been determined by various Courts throughout England and Wales as having an illegal racial element.

It is for this reason that it's not allowed on NSC. As Edna says, feel free to post it on your own website/FB page.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Have a read of this:

"A gardener is thought to have made legal history after being convicted of racially aggravated harassment for using the word ‘pikey’."

http://metro.co.uk/2007/12/13/pikey-is-now-a-race-hate-word-583752/

The man concerned assaulted a bouncer and abused a manageress. The "racially aggravated" part of the conviction was for use of "pikey". The case was heard in 2007; 7 years ago. There are other convictions out there - try googling?

Whether you like it or not, "pikey" has been determined by various Courts throughout England and Wales as having an illegal racial element.

It is for this reason that it's not allowed on NSC. As Edna says, feel free to post it on your own website/FB page.

I gather from this I cannot call anyone Darky which is a shame because he was my Dads best mate. They went through the War together, I grew up with his sons.
He wasn’t Black, just a bit, you know, dark coloured. I never even thought about it at the time.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I gather from this I cannot call anyone Darky which is a shame because he was my Dads best mate. They went through the War together, I grew up with his sons.
He wasn’t Black, just a bit, you know, dark coloured. I never even thought about it at the time.

If you truly cannot see the difference between calling a specific person you know for sure will not be offended by the epithet "Darky" and calling all people of dark coloured skin "Darky" intending it to be taken as a term of abuse, I give up.

But, that's not the case, is it? You can tell the difference, as I'm sure you don't call out to a dark skinned supermarket shelf stacker "Oi, Darky. I'm talking to you, you Darky filth, where's the butter?"

Why then, do you post such utter tripe on here?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Yes can see that and understand you have to keep googleAds sweet,as I said before,the peculiarilties of the English language,it's just annoying that you cannot use a word that has two meanings and people immediately jump to the conclusion that you mean the 'bad' version of the word...
Slowly,but surely the PC brigade are taking over...God save the 'Queen'....oops...shouldn't say that on a Brighton board should I....JOKING.

Like when I wrote an email to a friend's work stating that Brighton had "snatched" defeat from the jaws of victory one weekend and the swear filter decided that it was in 1950s America and was going to block it !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here