Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus - Do they actually employ Journalists?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
...Journalists with qualifications, or even a grasp of the English language, or at least a spellcheck facility at hand?

It's not hard, is it?

Today's headline:

'Toodler tossed from burning building.'

How can these people be allowed to keep their jobs?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Headlines are written by subs in Southampton and not the journos at Hollingbury - not that that is an excuse or taking away from the fact that their is an appalling low standards shown by some reporters on that paper.

I blame the lack of senior journos to show the juniors the way and poor checking by editors before publication.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
...Journalists with qualifications, or even a grasp of the English language, or at least a spellcheck facility at hand?

It's not hard, is it?

Today's headline:

'Toodler tossed from burning building.'

How can these people be allowed to keep their jobs?

Have you considered the fact that it may have actually been a 'toodler' that was tossed?

There's a sentence I wasn't expecting to type this morning!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Headlines are nothing to do with journalists. Another stellar threadd. :facepalm:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Headlines are written by subs in Southampton and not the journos at Hollingbury - not that that is an excuse or taking away from the fact that their is an appalling low standards shown by some reporters on that paper.

I blame the lack of senior journos to show the juniors the way and poor checking by editors before publication.

Weymouth.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A lot of the media now pay journalists on an article basis esp in the tab. nationals, keeps costs down. Its a dire time for newspapers, circ falling as is any quality

Established1982

Jul 30, 2011
Much as headlines are written by subs not journos the OPs original point remains.

The Argus, which has a massive heritage, fantastic news patch and a readership with a great deal of civic pride (and a hugely popular football team, one of the key drivers of local paper sales) is rapidly turning into a massive heap of dirge. The poor standards of the subs are not to blamed on the journos but they're indicative of a massive wider problem.

A real shame IMHO. Should be brilliant - and when it goes in a few years time there will be a big commercial hole for someone to jump into and make quite a bit of cash.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I believe that one of our Bored and Inbred posters writes for the Argus - doesn't that explain a lot?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Well if no one else is going to mention that typo then nor am I.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
A pedant writes: a sub IS a journo. Just a different type of journo. When a lot of people say "journalist" they're really talking about reporters. So there is no excuse for misspelled headings, particularly if they stay there all day.

Sussex used to have thriving local papers and the Argus was the top of the tree. But revenues have collapsed in recent years, which means you have understaffed news rooms, poorly trained journalists on low pay, and the wise old heads that used to guide the young 'uns have either been kicked out or put in separate buildings.

I got into journalism on local papers in the late 80s and it was a great time, with jobs wherever you looked, and proper training. It's all changed, and I feel sorry for the hacks that still try to make a living locally.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Much as headlines are written by subs not journos the OPs original point remains.

A real shame IMHO. Should be brilliant - and when it goes in a few years time there will be a big commercial hole for someone to jump into and make quite a bit of cash.

If only this were true. It will go in a few years time, probably initially to become a weekly free newspaper ans then will go completely. There is no money in regional press.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

The Argus, which has a massive heritage, fantastic news patch and a readership with a great deal of civic pride (and a hugely popular football team, one of the key drivers of local paper sales) is rapidly turning into a massive heap of dirge. The poor standards of the subs are not to blamed on the journos but they're indicative of a massive wider problem.

I can see a time when virtually all the "local" newspapers will only print a weekly edition or decide to be online only.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Not just the Argus, it seems!!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
If only this were true. It will go in a few years time, probably initially to become a weekly free newspaper ans then will go completely. There is no money in regional press.

There's no doubt that the conventional business model is outmoded. The sums don't add up, and people's reading habits have changed out of all recognition.

But there is definitely a role for a really good Sussex news website, and niches for local magazines like Viva Lewes. There could even be a place for something more newsy and upmarket in printed form. I hope so because as things stand we don't really scritinise local authority decision-making in the way we used to, or keep an eye on what's happening to public services. Nobody at present has the resources to do these subjects justice. I remember when the culling began, editors would claim it was because they wanted more human interest stories and less boring politics. Truth is, they could no longer afford decent reporters, or enough of them.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Not just the Argus, it seems!!

Erm. I was merely just giving a deliberate example of how vital it is for even the most carefully written prose to be checked and edited before publication. :blush:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here