• 2000s

Votes: 69 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
*PEDANT ALERT*

Even that started emerging in the late 90s, for example MJ Cole's "Sincere" was released in '98.

Sorry. NSC makes me do things like this.

Correct... but it really was evenly split over to decades 1998/99 - 2001/02 roughly

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Well, yes there was that lot but no comparison to the dire 1700's. Just my opinion . Could be an age thing .

Don't blame it on the sunneshyne
Don't blame it on the moonlyte
Don't blame it on the goode tymes
Blame it on the Jacobites.

Sung by Michael Jacobite and the Jacobite Fyfe I believe.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Knock Three Times
Chirpy Chirpy cheep cheep
Tie a Yellow Ribbon
Viva Espana

PLEASE don't tell me that these early 70's masterpieces also hold a place in your heart :lolol:
Ha Ha Icy. But how about these:
Bo Rap by Queen was of course iconic.
Maggie May/Reason to Believe by Rodders
I Hear you Knocking by Dave Edmunds
Nutbush City Limits by Ike and Tina Turner
You ain't seen Nothing yet by Bachman Turner Overdrive
Superstition by Stevie Wonder

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Its tricky because music has the power to transport you instantly back to a time when you were happier and carefree with great memories. I can listen to a song that I hated in my youth but I can instantly remember where I was and who I was with when I first heared it and I think this can sway you to say what your favourite decade was.
Having said all that I honestly think that the 70's and early 80's was the best decade for music because I was so into soul, disco, jazz funk and lovers rock and that time was huge for those genres.
A lot of talk for and against the 70's on here yet no mention of T Rex and Ian Dury and the blockheads, two of my favourites from that decade.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm going to come out in support of the 2000's which is getting a pasting so far.

Whilst I accept it hasn't produced a 'movement' or brought much new to the party there have been some tremendous albums which far surpass the 90's in my view.

The way music is consumed and it's accessability on the net mean that it's highly unlikely one genre will completely dominate again, which is no bad thing.

For me 2000-09 is a vintage decade for albums which would include output from:-
Interpol
The Strokes
The Libertines
White Stripes
Kings of Leon
Radiohead
Bloc Party
Arcade Fire
Arctic Monkeys
Super Furry Animals
Hot Chip
LCD Soundsystem
Caribou
Bon Iver

Plus loads more I could list.

Rexchi

May 19, 2013
If 2010+ was an option, I'd go for that. Music, like culture in general, has become tedious, unoriginal, brainless garbage. Perhaps money suppresses creativity like in other modern pop cultures, however there is a chance that music is an art-form where everything has already been done and so innovation is no longer possible.

So my vote goes for 2000's - although there was some great songs in the first half of the decade, it fell victim to modernity and money as described above. All the other decades were full of originality and character.

2010+ Correct!

D

Deleted member 18477

You've messed up the poll. Should have been a 2010+. Some of the music released in the past 4 years has been crap!

I've only been around to hear 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's but 2010+ is def the worst so far anyway. The next 6 years of this decade has A LOT to do... 2000's introduced us to One direction and Justin Bieber:ffsparr:!!!!

2000's were ok, lots of bands around, some good, some not so good but it def wasn't as awful as some are saying. Plus Oasis were still around and in 2008 I saw them twice at Wembley!

Last edited by a moderator:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Whilst it is true that every decade has some cracking sounds if you seek them out, either the noughties or the eightys is the worst for the standard of the "scum that floats on the top", as another poster put it, that regularly makes it into the upper parts of the charts and gets airplay on Radio 1.

Can
Kraftwerk
Neu
Cluster
Iggy and the Stooges
New York Dolls
Tom Waits' first albums
Randy Newman
Joni Mitchell
Neil Young
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
David Ackles
Todd Rundgren
John Cale

A golden age for reggae: Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Augustus Pablo, Mighty Diamonds, Abyssinians, Toots etc ...

Yes, clearly no music at all before 1977 ... :facepalm:

#cough# greatest band ever -Sparks

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
The 00s are definitely the worst only two good bands that will be remembered coldplay and the arctik monkeys thats it 14 years worth.or have I just got old.at the end of the day good music will stand the test of time.hopefully see you in 20 years on this thread:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here