Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Would anyone mind if FFP was just scrapped? Can't see it would affect fans really.

If it stops clubs like Portsmouth shafting small businesses then it's worth it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't know about 3 months, but surely it is possible to offer proof of FFP compliance before the season ends.

I imagine all will be very willing to provide this if not doing so means an assumption of FFP failure and a points deduction.

There needs to be more of a can-do attitude from the league in sorting out points deductions in the current season.

The idea of FFP details being available almost immediately throughout a season was discussed by the FL but rejected by the clubs, I believe.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This scenario just about sums up football in this country - absolutely no joined-up thinking, and all about the wild west "every man for himself" attitude. So as a direct consequence of the Premier League and the Football League not bothering to talk to each other, QPR are going to be booted into the Conference when they eventually get relegated and that prick running them has long since got bored of his little football team? It's scandalous.

There were probably many ways this could have been prevented. A choice of rules:

Immediate relegation if you do not pay the fines for breaching FFP rules
OR
Immediate relegation if you are found guilty of breaching FFP rules in the first place
OR
A football-wide insistence that relegation clauses are written into all contracts

etc.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
What I don't get is why the penalty goes to charity rather than the other Championship clubs, especially the ones who missed out on promotion because of the overspending club. I know the PL vetoed this but it just makes so much sense.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How long does FFP come into consideration ie if QPHaHa avoided relegation this season and next would that put them beyond the controls of FFP and the FL rules?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What I don't get is why the penalty goes to charity rather than the other Championship clubs, especially the ones who missed out on promotion because of the overspending club. I know the PL vetoed this but it just makes so much sense.

I do not understand or agree with that as surely the benficiaries should be those who have lost out by the rules being broken.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Well if they refuse to pay up, it looks much worse on the offending club by holding back lots of money for good causes. Though it should really be a 50-50 split between charity and clubs who have passed FFP.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Should Mansfield have the same spending power as Leeds or should Crawley have the same spending power as us by artificially stopping the bigger clubs from spending what they generate for themselves.........

What they generate for themselves - that is the crux of the matter. Leeds have much bigger crowds than Mansfield, so will have more money to spend - that always was the way, the reason why the Boltons, Blackburns and Prestons were big clubs - thousands and tjhousands of mill-workers forking out their sixpences every Saturday. The problem now is clubs spending more than they earn, either through just losing money anyway and going into liquidation, or by being taken over by mega-rich foreign owners who can make TB look like a pauper.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Comes down to player power. If every player had a relegation clause on their outstanding contract bringing their salary down then no need for parachute payments. Needs all chairmen to agree this as mandatory, and simultaneously implement and issue would disappear. Unfortunately players would all go overseas unless it was FIFA stipulated across the board and the chance of Blatter doing anything useful is less than zero.....

Yep, I'd quite happily live with that for a few seasons. Might even see a few more English youngsters getting a chance in the Prem.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How long does FFP come into consideration ie if QPHaHa avoided relegation this season and next would that put them beyond the controls of FFP and the FL rules?

It's not a case of how long it runs for. QPR will probably be subject to a 35-40m fine that will be payable sometime next year. If they then refuse to pay it, the FL could ban them from returning to the Championship, League 1 or League 2 indefinitely if they wanted (or until they pay the fine + interest).

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Lets just hope in 10 years time clubs like Mansfield still exist ,
the way its going the very rules set out to aid lesser funded clubs will be the very death of them , i may well be talking out my arse but i do not like the way football is going at the moment and FFP as it is will not stop that direction imo .

Surely by limiting what clubs can lose in a season without penalty, it means they have to reduce costs to try to balance the books. This should help reduce player wages because clubs can't afford to pay as much as before (and comments have already been made in the last transfer window about player wage demands dropping)

Hopefully this will give some power back to clubs and away from players and their agents (reversing some of the Bosman ruling effects on wages) and help to ensure that clubs are around for the long haul rather than living for the moment and gambling everything on instant success or bankruptcy.

By doing nothing, wages would continue to spiral and losses would continue to be run up at an alarming rate in the hope of surviving in their current division / promotion (depending on who you were and which league you were in) meaning more would face administration and the threat of extinction rather then less compared with FFP.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yup, here we go: I wonder if this can be used by the FL to re-negotiate the fines to charity thing with the PL?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/09/manchester-city-ffp-fine-shared-out-champions-league

Manchester City’s huge fine for breaching Uefa’s financial fair play rules is to be shared out around the other clubs in the Champions League.
City were fined £50m for the FFP breaches but will only have to pay around £20m if they comply with the break-even rules in future seasons.
The first tranche of payments from City, Paris Saint-Germain and Zenit St Petersburg will total £20m and will be split among the Champions League and Europa League clubs who did comply with the rules last season.
A similar sum will be distributed to clubs who comply with the FFP rules in this season’s European competitions.
The European Clubs’ Association chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said Uefa had agreed the fines should go to the other clubs.
He told a news conference in Geneva: “It was an agreement between Uefa and the clubs that it was money belonging to the clubs.”
The clubs will have a chance to argue any changes to FFP rules at a meeting with Uefa on 13 October.
The Uefa president Michel Platini said in his speech to the ECA: “The framework for financial fair play must be dynamic, it must evolve constantly, which is why I have convened an important round table on the subject with your representatives at Uefa headquarters on 13 October.
“We will see whether any imperfections can be ironed out and whether there is room to further improve the system.”

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Lets just hope in 10 years time clubs like Mansfield still exist ,
the way its going the very rules set out to aid lesser funded clubs will be the very death of them , i may well be talking out my arse but i do not like the way football is going at the moment and FFP as it is will not stop that direction imo .

And have Mansfield survived the last 30 years when their income has still be considerably lower than a large number of other clubs?

Why can't the onus be on the clubs to PROVE they have complied with FFP on the 1st of May, or even within 1 month of the January window closing.

No provision of proof of passing FFP would mean automatic FAIL ???

When are we likely to see some news on the punishment for clubs that have ignored/sought to circumvent FFP?

:facepalm:

It beggars belief some of the comments from people who can't grasp the basis concepts of FFP (whether they agree with it or not) or, for that matter, basic accounting, such as having an accounting year.

Have any of those asking questions actually bothered to do a search for other threads! Not sure I have seen one question that hasn't been asked a dozen times before!!!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
How long will it be before we start to hear about the revival of proposals for a Premier League 2.

If the League really were to refuse QPR re-entry into the League then I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to get the required number of votes from the current PL clubs for its introduction. This was last discussed about 5 years ago with a proposal for a 36 club Premier League split into two divisions with just a single club promotion and relegation from what remained of the Football League.

A refusal to accept a relegated club back into the League could well be the catalyst to make the PL an even more dominant footballing position in England. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here