Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Like Princess Grace, Brighton can't take corners.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
In response to a moan elsewhere about there not being much Football stuff on here at the moment, I thought I would air this.

I took my wife to the Charlton match, sat high up in the West stand. She was a saints STH last year. After the match she agreed we played well and deserved to win, but noted how many corners we had, and how little we did with them. I must admit I have often thought the same, being disappointed when we so often don't even get the ball past the first man.

Is this historic, and will it change now with the still fairly recent intake of new signings, or are we no worse than anyone else in this respect, anyway.

And with regard to the headline, it harks back to the old joke: "What's the difference between Kevin Keegan and princess Grace of Monaco?" Answer: "Kevin Keegan can take corners."

Was your wife watching the game. Apart from our TWO goals we did absolutely NOTHING with our corners. SAMMI OUT.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I thought some of our corner taking has been good recently, like it's been cut straight from a Hollawood movie.

I respectfully accept my infraction in advance.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I thought they'd improved since Holla took over the role from Forster-Caskey, who seemed to be on a mission to plant every one straight on to the head of the first defender.

NSC Blog

It's good. Read it.
Jul 28, 2011
I thought they'd improved since Holla took over the role from Forster-Caskey, who seemed to be on a mission to plant every one straight on to the head of the first defender.

From the Cheltenham match report...

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?140-Albion-2-0-Cheltenham-Capital-One-Cup-Round-1

After the success of various 'themed' games over the last two seasons - Spanish Day, Fright Night, etc - the club decided to use the visit of Cheltenham to run the latest. A lot of thought clearly went into the planning, and made 'League Two Night' a great success.

From restricting the crowd to a Withdeanesque 6,500, to picking an entire team utterly devoid of creative talent, the marketing experts at the club surpassed themselves this time. Sami bought into the idea, selecting a Mickey Adams like line up, with a defender shoe-horned into centre midfield.

Cheltenham played their part, by being, frankly terrible, and their fans reminded us of how easily pleased we used to be, by enthusiastically clapping each time a defender, in ten yards of space, hoofed the ball miles into the stands.

The Albion players contributed to varying degrees. Jake Forster-Caskey's succession of Dean Cox inspired set pieces, straight onto the head of the first man, were a nice touch

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
There was a thread on here a few months ago about the fact the on the whole the English are the only fans who get excited when a corner is won which foreign fans cannot understand due to the very small percentage of goals which are scored as a result of a corner

I do know that there are fewer corners in many European club matches, especially Spain because I occasionally have a Sunday night punt on matches. To do with the fact they do not play with wingers in the same way we do I presume.

I think the reason fans crank it up when we get a corner is just really.......... well, a reason just to get the volume up.

Aug 21, 2011
We've been poor from corners for ages, at especially those poorly executed short corners which ended up not making it into the oppo box.

Exacltly this. It is so fristrating when it is played short and thens up just being played in the midfield. Surly sending the ball zipping across the box gives a better percentage of scoring.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Not end of thread. I am partly asking whether we are no better or worse than anyone else in this respect. is it just a reflection of more organised defending?

Most corners for any team result in a failure to score. We got 2 in a match against Charlton so surely that's got to be better than average

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Exacltly this. It is so fristrating when it is played short and thens up just being played in the midfield. Surly sending the ball zipping across the box gives a better percentage of scoring.

I think its showing Sami's influence that so far our corners this season are a massive improvement on recent seasons.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Exactly. Keep JFC away from corners until one of our coaches shows him where to put his non-kicking foot so that he can elevate the ball.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Was your wife watching the game. Apart from our TWO goals we did absolutely NOTHING with our corners. SAMMI OUT.

Yes, she was watching the game. Hence her ability to comment on what was going on. her view might differ from your own, but even in that game there were a number of corners which didn't get past the first man.

And she initially made the comment before we had scored either of our goals, but still maintained the position after the goals, which she enjoyed as much as I did.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sounds like you've got bigger problems to worry about!

Note the words "was" and "last year". But she also moved to the City first in 1968 at the age of 14, so I think it is understandable she has some allegiance to the City in which she works and has lived near for 46 years.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
In response to a moan elsewhere about there not being much Football stuff on here at the moment, I thought I would air this.

I took my wife to the Charlton match, sat high up in the West stand. She was a saints STH last year. After the match she agreed we played well and deserved to win, but noted how many corners we had, and how little we did with them. I must admit I have often thought the same, being disappointed when we so often don't even get the ball past the first man.

Is this historic, and will it change now with the still fairly recent intake of new signings, or are we no worse than anyone else in this respect, anyway.

And with regard to the headline, it harks back to the old joke: "What's the difference between Kevin Keegan and princess Grace of Monaco?" Answer: "Kevin Keegan can take corners."

Can you forward this to the bookies so they keep the prices the same?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
See, even that is GOOD in comparison!
But he's not in the team for his Hollawood passing.
He's sole purpose would seem to be to carry the entire team to Wembley just like a hollacopter (again).

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
... I'm not expecting us to score, it is more of a dread that the opposing team will break away and score, which seems to happen more often than it should.

I'm sure I've heard that, statistically speaking, you are actually more likely to concede from a breakaway from a corner than you are to score from said corner. Probably difficult to quantify (at what point does it stop being a 'breakaway' and just a period of attacking play) but, as you say, it does seem to happen a lot!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You're probably a lot better than us with corners, for a high scoring team we score very very few from set pieces. See the play off final, 14-1 we 'won' the corner competition....

To add, in the murky world of footballer's nicknames, 'Hollcaopter' is right up there as one of the worst, it just doesn't work on any level I can see!!

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

we have been shocking at corners for years in my view. David managed the odd decent one. Vicente's were good when he played. JFCs are woeful - might just as well give the opposition a goal kick.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well at least this has given people something to think/discuss/pontificate about for a few hours.

And I've found a lot of it really interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here