Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beheading

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
8 different entries for the prefix BE- given in the OED. The one you're asking about is as follows:

3. Forming derivative verbs with privative meaning ‘off, away,’ as in bedeal v., benim v., bereave v. A very common use of be- in Old English and Middle English, prob. originating in words like beshear v., ‘to cut all round,’ whence ‘to cut off or away’;
but no longer in living use in forming new derivatives.

c. An ancient application, no longer in living use, was to express the sense of ‘bereave of,’ as in behead v., belimb v., etc., q.v. Cf. 3, above.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
8 different entries for the prefix BE- given in the OED. The one you're asking about is as follows:

3. Forming derivative verbs with privative meaning ‘off, away,’ as in bedeal v., benim v., bereave v. A very common use of be- in Old English and Middle English, prob. originating in words like beshear v., ‘to cut all round,’ whence ‘to cut off or away’;
but no longer in living use in forming new derivatives.

c. An ancient application, no longer in living use, was to express the sense of ‘bereave of,’ as in behead v., belimb v., etc., q.v. Cf. 3, above.

Perfect. Good old OED.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
double post

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Why is it "beheading" instead of "deheading"?

Shirley, it would only be 'deheading' if you 'headed' someone in the first place.
By that I mean if people's heads were put on like bottle tops for example, they could be 'deheaded', however because the body begins with a head it can't be 're-unheaded' if that makes sense!

Maybe I'm just talking crap???

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
That's very interesting. I can't think of any other cases where be- implies off. Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough. But thanks for that.

Bequeath means offload.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You dehead roses, but they grow back.

Hideous crime. Beheading that is. This British jihadist, I really rather hope they capture him alive.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
You dehead roses, but they grow back.

Hideous crime. Beheading that is. This British jihadist, I really rather hope they capture him alive.

Is he really british the excustioner? The man in black is holding a knife so appears left handed but his gun holster is over his left shoulder so would need a right handed man to pull the gun as if he was a leftie and in a gun fight then would be cack handed and wouldn't be able to pull it out in time.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Is he really british the excustioner? The man in black is holding a knife so appears left handed but his gun holster is over his left shoulder so would need a right handed man to pull the gun as if he was a leftie and in a gun fight then would be cack handed and wouldn't be able to pull it out in time.

Too true. Smoke and mirrors. Could also have just been a VoiceOver.

Bet conspiracy theorist will soon be saying its Obama in the film.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Plenty of words begin with be- but I'm struggling to think of any other examples where it implies a taking away or a separation. Mostly they imply a positive action, such as bequeath with its concept of giving to, not taking away.

I love words and find them (and their origins) fascinating, but this one has me baffled. I'm sure there must be a linguistic expert on here who can offer some clarity.
Begone with you sir.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Does that post even make any sense?

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Too true. Smoke and mirrors. Could also have just been a VoiceOver.

Bet conspiracy theorist will soon be saying its Obama in the film.

I agree. It's made to appear that the executioner is British for recruitment purposes. The knife in left hand and gun holster doesn't make sense at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here