Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace 'Holmesdale Fanatics' protest against Sky Sports

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
MOST if the palace on here have expressed how embarrassing they are now etc... Fact. You're on here an awful lot & popping up on a lot of Albion threads aren't you? Pipe down :thumbsup:

All of the Palace posters have admitted this is embarrassing. None have said they are tragic, supporting your team vocally is good, the displays they try and out are good for even though the castles/cock one was funny. As for the popping up blah blah, so what? Am I harming you? Carry on supporting Man U.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Is this the same palace whose fans didnt turn up for Championship never mind lower league football? The same palace who struggled to find 10,000 to 14000 palace fans to walk through the door for say Barnsley at home but when its Spurs, well they scrape together 25000 (ok half of em are probably spurs but yknow). If it wasnt for Rupert Murdoch, Sky and the "premier league" then palace wouldnt even have a half decent crowd. Its not like they have a solid support that will support them in the lower leagues like Brighton or Pompey or Derby or Leeds. If they did then they might have point but they really are protesting against their own support.

Is this the same poster who says the same thing over and over again?
Is this the same poster who admits to not going to watch Brighton anyway but goes and watches Chelsea?
Is this the same poster who most admit is a bit of a plastic himself, come on you blues ERM I meant seagulls

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Perhaps a more pertinent point is that our glorious FA led the breakaway and sucked up to sky. Does anyone seriously believe we would have such a gulf in income between the top and second tier if one organisation was running it. Blame SKY if you want but all they have done is massively increased coverage of our national game, alongside the millions pumped in. If the clubs choose to spend that money on ridiculous salaries rather than reduced ticket prices, then we are all the mugs for paying our SKY TV sub's and going to games. Doubt Amex prices are much cheaper than most prem clubs. £32 for Charlton in Saturday I paid. Happy to for my club but really ? How would you have felt about paying that a few years ago ?

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
Maybe the HF need to look at themselves inwardly and decide what they want to be, I seem to recall being told many times on here they are a non aggressive/violent group, but last night they gave the impression of anything but.
I believe their main ethos is to be 'anti-establishment' and to 'push boundaries' (almost like the antithesis of Chris Tavare).

However, whilst I understand the lure of that kind of pseudo anarchist stuff to youngsters looking for some collective identity etc., the further down this route you go, the more antagonism you're going to both encounter, and create. I love their enthusiasm and passion in getting behind the team, but am turned off by the flip side which is the 'politics'. It's so easy to protest and want to tear things down, but do these 6th form politics ever stand up upon closer examination? What are the solutions? Are theirs a minority view? If so, what right do they have to want to 'save' the game from Sky? Sky clearly pleases its millions of customers. And attendances are up throughout the leagues, suggesting that the non-armchair fans are also far from distraught.

Too easy to vent at 'Sky', when the problems, if they do exist at all, encompass so many different factors. Sky knows what it wants, and provides the money required to get it. The FA, PL, and Football League decide what the rights to broadcast their sport are worth, and the way that money can be used to benefit their members, or otherwise. Whatever the distribution of wealth that's decided upon, the clubs then in turn decide upon how they wish to spend it. A rather complex set of affairs that encompasses other countries' players and governing bodies and numerous socio-economic factors. A Sky bashing banner somehow doesn't seem fitting enough to strike out at the 'evils' of modern football.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Just about sums up everything that is wrong with money and football.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/02/radamel-falcao-joins-manchester-united-loan

190K a week obviously before tax. He is still coming out with over 100k a week, it's disgusting.
How many years would you need to work to get what he does in a week.

Monaco pay the other half so they are paying his tax, which is 50% of his wage and he is taking home 190k a week. It is just crazy that these players get all this money,.

Tom cleverly did not move in this transfer window because he wasn't getting enough money. Just mad.

Last edited:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think its too easy to blame Sky for ruining football, to me its like blaming the Hillsborough disaster on the lack of atmosphere most grounds get today. Its obvious it was the beginning of where we find ourselves today, but there are so many other factors that also contributed that their effect has been hugely diluted in the grand scheme of things.

Sky is putting billions of pounds into football, not telling football how to spend billions of pounds.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I believe their main ethos is to be 'anti-establishment' and to 'push boundaries' (almost like the antithesis of Chris Tavare).

However, whilst I understand the lure of that kind of pseudo anarchist stuff to youngsters looking for some collective identity etc., the further down this route you go, the more antagonism you're going to both encounter, and create. I love their enthusiasm and passion in getting behind the team, but am turned off by the flip side which is the 'politics'. It's so easy to protest and want to tear things down, but do these 6th form politics ever stand up upon closer examination? What are the solutions? Are theirs a minority view? If so, what right do they have to want to 'save' the game from Sky? Sky clearly pleases its millions of customers. And attendances are up throughout the leagues, suggesting that the non-armchair fans are also far from distraught.

Too easy to vent at 'Sky', when the problems, if they do exist at all, encompass so many different factors. Sky knows what it wants, and provides the money required to get it. The FA, PL, and Football League decide what the rights to broadcast their sport are worth, and the way that money can be used to benefit their members, or otherwise. Whatever the distribution of wealth that's decided upon, the clubs then in turn decide upon how they wish to spend it. A rather complex set of affairs that encompasses other countries' players and governing bodies and numerous socio-economic factors. A Sky bashing banner somehow doesn't seem fitting enough to strike out at the 'evils' of modern football.

Good post but I think you're reading too much into what they say they stand for. It's about exposure, to receive pats on the back for being 'real football fans'. They do what they think people expect football fans to be, it's a pastiche I can't believe much, if any, thought went into it. More a case of what will get them noticed so that people talk about them. Politics? Don't think so.

Seems to have worked with me unfortunately.....

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Utter mongs. Palace have done well to get to where they are, vocal bunch of supporters, and then you see THAT. I'd be embarrassed to be a Palace supporter right now.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
All of the Palace posters have admitted this is embarrassing. None have said they are tragic, supporting your team vocally is good, the displays they try and out are good for even though the castles/cock one was funny. As for the popping up blah blah, so what? Am I harming you? Carry on supporting Man U.

Oh - I thought your posts were familiar in terms of being thick as shit. Multiple accounts and ignoring the NSC rules tut tut. Keep supporting the kids - they may let you join in one day & have a uniform :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good post but I think you're reading too much into what they say they stand for. It's about exposure, to receive pats on the back for being 'real football fans'. They do what they think people expect football fans to be, it's a pastiche I can't believe much, if any, thought went into it. More a case of what will get them noticed so that people talk about them. Politics? Don't think so.

Seems to have worked with me unfortunately.....

Aren't you the bet welching one? There were a few who didn't get the irony in the Man U posts - I put it down to Croydon educations at the time but you're still going :lol:

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Oh - I thought your posts were familiar in terms of being thick as shit. Multiple accounts and ignoring the NSC rules tut tut. Keep supporting the kids - they may let you join in one day & have a uniform :thumbsup:

I have only ever had one account. As for the rest of the drivel, are you going to suck your thumb and throw a paddy next?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I have only ever had one account. As for the rest of the drivel, are you going to suck your thumb and throw a paddy next?

Just do one & keep your boring drivel to palace threads you prick. Thick prick.

And try get a life - or a job - you're on your rivals message board all day. Don't wanna hear from you again - bore off MY clubs' message board.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Just do one & keep your boring drivel to palace threads you prick. Thick prick.

And try get a life - or a job - you're on your rivals message board all day. Don't wanna hear from you again - bore off MY clubs' message board.

:cry:

You seem to be obsessed with prick. As for work, I'm only ever not working when I'm asleep and even then its a rarity to get through a night without at least one call.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Aren't you the bet welching one? There were a few who didn't get the irony in the Man U posts - I put it down to Croydon educations at the time but you're still going :lol:

Not me guv! I'm going to have to have a hot bath with a large quantity of bleach applied if I'm being mistaken for a Palace fan.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I agree with the sentiment, however I disagree strenuously with the execution. Forgetting it was the HF/Palace or A Prem team for a second, I read a lot of posts on here that have exactly the same point of view. Sky has ruined football to the extent that its meant the likes of Palace or Brighton will never be able to win the topflight without first getting a multibillionaire foreign owner. Sky has ruined football to the extent that one week of wages from Rooney would be able to wipe out the debts of the vast majority of the sides in the conference put together. Its wrong.

Yes we are taking the Sky money, but what do you expect a club in a competition to do? Refuse to go up?

Now as for the way the protest was handled - it was dead wrong. They deliberately went out to create an intimidatory atmosphere knowing full well that it was likely to terrify young kids/bystanders who were there. They could have made a peaceful protest that would have won far more supporters. However, whilst accepting that what they did tonight was wrong, or at least the way they went about it I can still be proud of the atmosphere they've created at Selhurst.

What instigated it do you know. Agree with your post. It just seems to have come out of the blue.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
What instigated it do you know. Agree with your post. It just seems to have come out of the blue.
HF have always made it known that they are Against Modern Football and have had several displays regarding it. Seems that the protest was done because this was the most public way to do it. And if it had been done by sneakily unfurling it behind the reporter it would have won fans and embarrassed sky but doing it like Deatheaters just makes them look like thugs. It's a shame as the message has been lost.

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
I agree with the sentiment, however I disagree strenuously with the execution. Forgetting it was the HF/Palace or A Prem team for a second, I read a lot of posts on here that have exactly the same point of view. Sky has ruined football to the extent that its meant the likes of Palace or Brighton will never be able to win the topflight without first getting a multibillionaire foreign owner. Sky has ruined football to the extent that one week of wages from Rooney would be able to wipe out the debts of the vast majority of the sides in the conference put together. Its wrong.

Yes we are taking the Sky money, but what do you expect a club in a competition to do? Refuse to go up?

Now as for the way the protest was handled - it was dead wrong. They deliberately went out to create an intimidatory atmosphere knowing full well that it was likely to terrify young kids/bystanders who were there. They could have made a peaceful protest that would have won far more supporters. However, whilst accepting that what they did tonight was wrong, or at least the way they went about it I can still be proud of the atmosphere they've created at Selhurst.

Falcao and Rooneys wages are obscene in any context. You mention that these wages could wipe out the debts of smaller clubs. How do smaller clubs let themselves get into a situation where they have to go into liquidation... twice? :rolleyes:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Brilliant protest in so much as it has harmed Crystal Palace's image and may have financial implications when it comes to screening matches.

Bravo HF.

:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here