Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ince v SWINDON or van Basten v RUSSIA ?

Who's goal is even betterer ?

• You utter DILBERT Easy, the Dutch Master's makes Ince's look like a tap-in

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • Actually, I make you right. That Ince strike is cuffing GRAVY

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Dr Who was a bit disappointing wasn't it.

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was almost LAUGHED out of the WSU on Saturday when I suggested that the Rohan Ince strike vs Swindon was BETTER than the much-lauded (and rightly so) 1988 van Basten strike v Russia.

Both showed exceptional technique, and I accept that the DIP on MvB's made it a bit special. But Ince was MUCH further out, so for me, putting all blue-and-white shaded glasses aside, I honestly think Ince's strike was BETTER. As the old adage goes, if it had been scored by someone really good, we'd never see the end of it.

So I present the evidence to NSC. Which one is BESTEST ? Poll to follow

[yt]ARA133i5Oc8[/yt]

[yt]Zq3NHUcIIqQ[/yt]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not even close. MvB's effort wins. Which in no way takes anything away from Incey wincey spider's effort.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Both wonderful strikes but Van Basten's was at an awkward angle so for that he gets my vote.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'd have laughed you out of the East Lower on Saturday - but when you see the ground covered by Ince who starts the move on the edge of his own area, you may indeed have a point.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And I'll tell you what...Ince's is not that dissimilar to this GOAL OF THE SEASON 1973-74 from Alan Mullary (from a cross by Barry Lloyd)

[yt]pD7sPuz-hnI[/yt]

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I love Ince's goal, especially when you consider he started the move. MVB's was a good strike but the move was nothing special. I vote Ince.

Ps could it pip Lord Garry Nelson for the all time greatest Albion goal?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You can't talk about Ince's goal without talking about the whole MOVE - just as important as the strike itself. Was like the sort of flowing move that's much easier to do in FIFA than real life.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The fact Ince was involved from the start is a very valid point.

Also, the cross which MvB scored from kind of hung in the air forever, so he had about 6 minutes to set himself for it. Corlunga's cross wasn't such a lofted hanger, and it was coming directly across Ince as he made up ground to get on the end of it, far more difficult.

Yup, on reflection I still stand by my assertion, Ince's was better. And I'd only had 2 Kronies when I opened the argument.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You can't talk about Ince's goal without talking about the whole MOVE - just as important as the strike itself. Was like the sort of flowing move that's much easier to do in FIFA than real life.

Well, er, yes you can actually. It's quite simple. If he'd put that in row z, you wouldn't have been gushing at that move at all. Great lung busting run, sure, but professional footballers frequently do this. They rarely pick out the top corner with a first time volley from 30 yards out however.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
In this instance, I'd say Van Basten, but I bet there are many better goals than his. They just don't have the coverage or a name.

I can think of better goals scored in my school house leagues and we didn't have pristine pitches and high tech boots.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, er, yes you can actually. It's quite simple. If he'd put that in row z, you wouldn't have been gushing at that move at all. Great lung busting run, sure, but professional footballers frequently do this. They rarely pick out the top corner with a first time volley from 30 yards out however.

But it DID go in, thus the move is part of it.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I always remember this from the World Cup 78 Arie Haans goal my jaw just dropped as an impressionable 10 year old .
Still love watching it today.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We're talking incredible VOLLEYS here people, not run-of-the-mill 35-yarders. Some herbert from Wycombe or Port Vale pops one of those in every other week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here