Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jermain Defoe

D

Deleted member 18477

Wellbeck's about to leave Man Utd and if he joins Arsenal or Spurs I think he'll ultimately end up on the bench.

You could be right... However if this move happens, it could be the best thing to happen to danny Welbeck. I say this because he will go straight into the team and have at least until Christmas without being on the bench as he's better than Sonogo... It's a chance to prove himself properly, playing in his favoured position rather than on the wing AND on paper Arsenal should create 15-20 chances a game. This could be his big break like when Danny Sturridge left Chelsea for Liverpool...

Although let's face it, every Arsenal fan will be depressed that Wenger didn't go for Falcao. And rightly so.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Actually feel a bit sorry for Defoe as far as England is concerned, if he had enjoyed the faith of various managers he could easily have 35 goals and 80 caps by now for the national team. Going to Toronto basically showed he had given up, despite that later outburst when the squad was announced. He knew his face didn't fit and he wouldn't be picked barring about five injuries.

Being left out for Walcott for the 2006 WC finals was ridiculous, he was as dangerous as any English forward in 2010 and even this year I'd still have rather had him than Lambert on the end of a chance.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'd still have rather had him than Lambert on the end of a chance.

Not sure you can really compare those two - with the ball on the floor, yes, I'd trust JD to pit it away, in the air I'd prefer Lambert. Not sure Defoe got his fair share of chances - having said that he changed clubs a lot so something wasn't quite right. Despite scoring so many for Spurs they seemed strangely reluctant to start him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Although let's face it, every Arsenal fan will be depressed that Wenger didn't go for Falcao. And rightly so.

Really? There'll be some but Arsenal is a well-run club that keeps a grip on wages - signing a player on £300k+ a week would bust pay structure and cause massive disaffection among other players - they'd either want to leave or look for similar pay rises. I think most Gooners recognise that

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Really? There'll be some but Arsenal is a well-run club that keeps a grip on wages - signing a player on £300k+ a week would bust pay structure and cause massive disaffection among other players - they'd either want to leave or look for similar pay rises. I think most Gooners recognise that

Aren't Monaco paying a large proportion of those wages?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here