Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex Attendance Thread

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes - Simples - in many cases you sell advertising to a company based on a footfall or audience numbers - if you don't hit the numbers you can't charge the top rate. So TV advertising, perimeter advertising, even branded lounges and events can take a hit.

Its a bit like the Brighton Pier - they can't charge the rents for the franchises if they don't get the numbers on the pier.

Thought you would know this BH?

Was totally unaware of this, thanks for sharing

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
What advertising revenue, the pitchside signs?

Please!!

Could be, I get the digital pitchside things for sky TV games cup etc , perhaps even the goals on the league TV thing but for matchday audiences it's a lot of money don't you think?

But I was thinking about sponsor lounges like the heineken one I'm sure someone said at Arsenal those lounges are sold on numbers so suspect our are too

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Was totally unaware of this, thanks for sharing

Apologies, but please don't believe that the difference of 1000-2000 attendance has any material impact on the clubs advertising revenue.

It can't be true unless the Commercial activities have been taken over by people with absolutely no idea at all

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Interesting,
we have the catchment area, the support, spending power, have created a market. We don't have, the perception of stability, one ambition, the results. The club are really fortunate in that they have the model and everything ready, the only thing we don't have is the team, still. Wins = full stadiums at the Amex, its about the football stupid.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Could be, I get the digital pitchside things for sky TV games cup etc , perhaps even the goals on the league TV thing but for matchday audiences it's a lot of money don't you think?

But I was thinking about sponsor lounges like the heineken one I'm sure someone said at Arsenal those lounges are sold on numbers so suspect our are too

Sky (and others) will pay a flat rate to broadcast a game and it has nothing to do with numbers in the ground

Same as lounges ... they are pre paid. There's no discounts for how many show up elsewhere in the ground

If none of that is accurate then the world has gone mad and BHA need to employ me as their CD

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
So no Albion football for a while - so let's have a look at our attendances.

Interesting that of the three league sides that we have met at The Amex so far, all were visitors last year.

Team: Attendance 2014/2015 Attendance 2013/2014 Difference

Sheff W. 26,993 25,725 +1,263
Bolton. 24,435 26,455 -2,020
Charlton. 26,189 28,770. -2,581

Average down 1,111 per game .................... Ouch!

Season ticket sales are down 7% this year which explains attendance drops. Looks like walk up/ tickets sold to non ST holders are holding up given time of year etc

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
85% of the attending punters not being able to spend as much on food and drink as they would like, due to the ineptitude of the catering operation, probably hits the club much harder in terms of revenue.

85% !!!

If it was 85% . Which it isn't.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Apologies, but please don't believe that the difference of 1000-2000 attendance has any material impact on the clubs advertising revenue.

It can't be true unless the Commercial activities have been taken over by people with absolutely no idea at all

It doesn't on a day to day basis but it does on a season - you are taking it out of context - Modern advertising is based on numbers - if you can't understand that you wouldn't be very good at your job.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It doesn't on a day to day basis but it does on a season - you are taking it out of context - Modern advertising is based on numbers - if you can't understand that you wouldn't be very good at your job.

Ha Ha ... you obviously know more about advertising than me then.

Need to change my job

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

OK so we have established so far on what could lose the club money.......

Lack of bums on seats
STHs not turning up
Overpriced catering

Any more evidence

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Ha Ha ... you obviously know more about advertising than me then.

Need to change my job

I probably do mate - 35 years from small poster sites on Motorways to working with a few of the big tobacco companies in London in the eighties - airports and duty free in the nineties and now with digital.

We used to get £30k - £40k each from two or three sites in Greek St just to have a logo on a newsagent shop and then six months later the site would go to a competitor and get paid for that too.

Its all about eyeballs - one way or another.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Opening fixtures last 2 seasons...League games only at the Amex.
Does not include 2011-12 as the capacity was smaller.
Opening home league August fixtures in order as they actually happened.

T=Tuesday,F=Friday,S=Saturday

2012-13

T-V Cardiff 25,517 included 784 away fans
S-V Barnsley 24,594 included 297 away fans
F-V Sheffield Wednesday 26,594 included 1,682 away fans

Last season

2013-2014
S-V Derby 26,238 included 1,046 away fans
S-V Burnley 26,007 included 607 away fans
S-V Millwall 26,804 included 1,788 away fans

Therefore the average Actual for this season and the following 2 seasons for the first 3 games are as follows..

2012-13

2013-13

2014-15

Source....for the above The official *Seagull* Programme's

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I probably do mate - 35 years from small poster sites on Motorways to working with a few of the big tobacco companies in London in the eighties - airports and duty free in the nineties and now with digital.

We used to get £30k - £40k each from two or three sites in Greek St just to have a logo on a newsagent shop and then six months later the site would go to a competitor and get paid for that too.

Its all about eyeballs - one way or another.

Well done you ... I can probably trump you but I won't bother here

Your suggestion that matchday attendances are somehow linked to advertising revenue (other than an estimate when the contract is agreed) is absurd in the extreme.

Your Greek St example has no relevance whatsoever

But what do I know ???

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
A good comparison, first three games this season v last. Also, one of the three matches in both, being a local side visiting. 700 per game, say average spend of £35 a head, inc food etc = £24,500 per match or £563,500 loss of revenue over a season. Not insignificant?

Be interesting to see if it lasts all year or not. Yes 700 is a difference. 26k though as an average is still pretty good. I don t know how it will pan out but i expect the AMEX to look a lot fuller from September onwards

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a NSC sample. Signed picky.

Any particular reason why that sample should not be representative of the attendance as a whole? It's a bigger better survey than the club could ever be arsed to undertake. They ignore it at their peril, and they'll still be happy to blame loss of revenue on non-attendees, despite the fact that those non-attendees have already paid for their seats and even if they did attend, 85% wouldn't have been able to spend as much as they would have liked on food and drink.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
OK so we have established so far on what could lose the club money.......

Lack of bums on seats
STHs not turning up
Overpriced catering

Any more evidence

Isn't all that dwarfed by players wages and agents fees? those relate more to losses than match day revenue?

Part of the problem is that fans think because the ground is full match day we must be making money - Obviously the more match day revenue the higher the wages we can pay to players but having a million supporters worldwide buying mugs and calendars shirts and TV deals is easier and generates a lot more money for wages.

Much as I hate the thought the club would be much more profitable if rented Withdean had 4k match day they had 100k worldwide watching it online at £10 a pop - thats what the joke about ffp is - the big clubs might get 40-60k every home game but its the 200k they have financially behind them at every home and away game that allows £60M to be spent on a player.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Pedantics of early season attendances aside, if they play the type of football we had on Saturday I am hopeful that they will all crawl back out of the woodwork and get the income coming in again.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Any particular reason why that sample should not be representative of the attendance as a whole? It's a bigger better survey than the club could ever be arsed to undertake. They ignore it at their peril, and they'll still be happy to blame loss of revenue on non-attendees, despite the fact that those non-attendees have already paid for their seats and even if they did attend, 85% wouldn't have been able to spend as much as they would have liked on food and drink.

Sample isn't weighted for age, salary, demographic, is self selecting and questions are leading.

It's a fun poll and I agree that there's potential to get fans to spend more which this illustrates. That's useful research but 85% would. ? Nope.
Didn't mean to suggest it's not helpful as part of this debate :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here