Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
What about the FOUR outfield players who went for the ball and failed to track the guy who scored? Schoolboy defending - everyone trying to atone for the error rather than seeing the danger elsewhere. The defending was poor for both goals. Stockdale could probably have done better with both but he should not have had to if the defence had done its job.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he could and should have done better with both goals yesterday also I allways felt that at all times TK was liable to pull off a save but do not feel the same with Stockdale. How many times, if ever, was TK beaten on the near post. Why has he never been the no 1 keeper at any club? However, lets not completely write him off without giving him to settle in.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I loved the pig, Stockdale is a better keeper though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He admitted when came that he wasn't match sharp and I think he still looks a little sluggish. But he looked brilliant at times with Fulham and I'm sure as the season unfolds he will sharpen up. Sounds like he's his own worst critic but he and Anti will obviously work hard to clear the rust. Looks like he could do with one of those matches with shots and crosses from all directions to get him back in the groove.

Yes l agree, and l think the sooner those sort of games come along the better. It's still very early days for him at the Albion, but l do think that the first goal yesterday was very much his error, it seemed to take him far to long to anticipate the shot and react to it. Being such a tall guy he couldn't get down quickly enough. All l can do is give him the benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps he was unsighted.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
What is the point of the 'Stockers Dave' parody account on twitter? Unfunny, tedious and weird. Making a point to unfollow anybody who retweets it.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
So what has he done wrong to make you think he isn't a good keeper? or is it purely down to the fact that he has had very little to do in the way of making saves only because there have been so few efforts by the opposition for him to have to do anything. How many shots on target has he actually faced this season?
So far all the goals seem to be ones that any goalkeeper wouldn't have been able to do anything about, just because they went in doesn't make him poor. How about we wait until he has efforts that require a good save before people slag him off? (not necessarily you in the quoted post, but there have been some posts on here)

6 shots on target - conceeded 4 goals. should have done better with both goals yesterday. Having said that i dont think he is a bad keeper.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
So what has he done wrong to make you think he isn't a good keeper? or is it purely down to the fact that he has had very little to do in the way of making saves only because there have been so few efforts by the opposition for him to have to do anything. How many shots on target has he actually faced this season?So far all the goals seem to be ones that any goalkeeper wouldn't have been able to do anything about, just because they went in doesn't make him poor. How about we wait until he has efforts that require a good save before people slag him off? (not necessarily you in the quoted post, but there have been some posts on here)

6 shots on target 4 goals conceed apparently... not great stats but I am sure he will improve.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
What about the FOUR outfield players who went for the ball and failed to track the guy who scored? Schoolboy defending - everyone trying to atone for the error rather than seeing the danger elsewhere. The defending was poor for both goals. Stockdale could probably have done better with both but he should not have had to if the defence had done its job.
Absolutely this...before blaming the GK remember the goal scorer has to get through the defence...which Igor (credit due) did perfectly well. Charlton have hit the jackpot with him.

NSC Blog

It's good. Read it.
Jul 28, 2011
there is much more to goalkeeping than just making saves. His distribution for one has been very good so far which makes the whole teams play more effective when playing out from the back.

Agreed.

The NSC match report makes a similar assesment.

Stockdale has made a mixed impression in his early Albion career. He is tidy and organised. He looks every inch a keeper who is well coached, and has worked hard to learn his craft. Its difficult to fault him in the technical aspects of goalkeeping thus far. What we are yet to see, is evidence that he is a natural shot-stopper.

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?245-Albion-v-Charlton-Athletic-30-08-2014

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
there is much more to goalkeeping than just making saves. His distribution for one has been very good so far which makes the whole teams play more effective when playing out from the back.

Making saves is the most important thing though. If it was all about distribution, you'd be better off playing a passing midfielder in goal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Making saves is the most important thing though. If it was all about distribution, you'd be better off playing a passing midfielder in goal.

Is it though?

A really good keeper - a Manuel Neuer - will organise the back four constantly, will sweep behind them, will command his area on crosses, and will distribute the ball well. All of these things help to actually reduce the number of shots that the opposition actually manage in the first place. Actually saving shots, whilst (obviously critical) is only part of the job.

For me, the first on Saturday, is the first goal this season that Stockdale was at fault for. The Birmingham and Wednesday ones were unsaveable, the Bolton one was defelected into the top corner, and he did nothing wrong for the Charlton second.

Those suddenly claiming that TK saved EVERYTHING have short memories. He was throwing it in the net at the end of last season.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Is it though?

A really good keeper - a Manuel Neuer - will organise the back four constantly, will sweep behind them, will command his area on crosses, and will distribute the ball well. All of these things help to actually reduce the number of shots that the opposition actually manage in the first place. Actually saving shots, whilst (obviously critical) is only part of the job.

For me, the first on Saturday, is the first goal this season that Stockdale was at fault for. The Birmingham and Wednesday ones were unsaveable, the Bolton one was defelected into the top corner, and he did nothing wrong for the Charlton second.

Those suddenly claiming that TK saved EVERYTHING have short memories. He was throwing it in the net at the end of last season.

This is spot on. The ability to talk to and organise a defence, to pick up crosses before they become dangerous and the ability to distribute the ball in such a way that it alters the flows of the game (which requires a good ability to read the game) are all very important, and often overlooked, elements.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
This is spot on. The ability to talk to and organise a defence, to pick up crosses before they become dangerous and the ability to distribute the ball in such a way that it alters the flows of the game (which requires a good ability to read the game) are all very important, and often overlooked, elements.

Those attributes are vital and underpin all decent sides. A dependable keeper instills confidence within his team, whereas a dodgy keeper undermines confidence, especially among the back four.

Kuszchak was a notch or two above Ankergren and Brezovan until his form crashed late last season, epitomised by that feeble shot he let in at Forest. We then lost Upson in the play offs and this seemed to shake the confidence at the core of our defence, despite this previously being one of our strengths.

With hindsight our defence has been at its strongest over the last couple of seasons when we had rocks like Bridge, Upson and Bridcutt who rarely put a foot wrong and gave great confidence to all around them, even when the keeper was having a mare. I sense that Stockdale is now key for us and together with Holla and Dunk may become the dependable core of our side.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
TK was absolute class and it's only fickle morons who say otherwise.

Stockdale has had an inauspicious start, but it's early days. He might get better.

You're always so angry jcdenton08. It's only football and this is only an internet message forum.

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
I actually (strangely) feel more confident with him in goal than PIG but a troll through the stats so far in the games he has played in show that every "shot on target" against him has resulted in a goal.

That means he has not made one save YET

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I actually (strangely) feel more confident with him in goal than PIG but a troll through the stats so far in the games he has played in show that every "shot on target" against him has resulted in a goal.

That means he has not made one save YET
Have you seen any of the goals. Besides I can remember at least 2 saves in front of our fans at Birmingham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here