Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk and Stockdale

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I liked his distribution today and I hope he'll come good but the fact is that he hasn't made a decent save in 4 games, I hope he makes one soon as I've been disappointed with him so far. You do expect your keeper to make at least one decent save in most games, other keepers I've seen this year have all managed at least one decent save. I accept he has been well shielded by the defence and non of the goals were his fault, doesn't stop it being disappointing that he hasn't saved anything yet. With a couple of decent saves we could have had quite a few more points. Don't know about you lot but I expect our keeper to save or gain us points.

Hang on... "none of the goals were his fault" followed by "with a couple of decent saves we could have quite a few more points"? If he could do nothing about them , they would need to have been world class, not merely "decent" surely?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ridiculous to criticise Stockdale. There's no way he could have stopped any of the goals this season. Also, his distribution has been excellent and he has commanding the box well.

You are aware he has come out and apologised for the first goal today? He could've done better, saying there's no way he could've saved it is nonsense, have seen Kusz save far harder ones than that, unless we're just accepting Stockdale isn't up to Kusz's standard.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Should have saved the first one IMO and admitted exactly that himself! Sounds great in interviews - confident which is great for a keeper...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hang on... "none of the goals were his fault" followed by "with a couple of decent saves we could have quite a few more points"? If he could do nothing about them , they would need to have been world class, not merely "decent" surely?

I didn't say he could do nothing about them I said they weren't his fault, it's not the same thing. Two examples, Henderson's save from Tex, he had no right to make that save and if it had gone in everyone would have said he had "no chance". Bogdan's save last week that he tipped onto the bar from CMS, same thing.

None of the goals we have conceded were clangers by Stockdale but most were saveable...IMO.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
You are aware he has come out and apologised for the first goal today? He could've done better.

I think he's being hard on himself. I've seen the goal on SSN and it was right into the corner past a couple of defenders who left him unsighted. I could understand the criticism if he made a few bloopers that had cost us goals but as often seems to happen with our keepers, I think fans are being far too quick to get on his back.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
That's his only contribution ....oh and running round the pitch pre kick off - hugging the players. still not convinced.

Wait a minute Sergio.... At that extra time corner he signalled to SH, was it OK for him to go upfield, SH signalled yes and up he went. I reckon his presence in their area discombobulated Charlton and could have played a part in the goal.

PS Tangentially, would OG have waved him up, or GP for that matter, in the same circs?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Dunk was my MOM before the sponsors announcement was made. Plainly having a former world class centre half in charge is gonna improve him.

I love Teixeira - he reminds me of Lingard, only better. Both players when they receive the ball turn and run towards goal with the ball. Everyone is a winner with this loan. He is far to good for the second tier of English football.

I love Stockdale because he is a mentalist. When I said to mates it won't be long before he plays rush goalie, I didn't think I'd see it in August.

Sergio Garcia

Jul 30, 2011
Wait a minute Sergio.... At that extra time corner he signalled to SH, was it OK for him to go upfield, SH signalled yes and up he went. I reckon his presence in their area discombobulated Charlton and could have played a part in the goal.

PS Tangentially, would OG have waved him up, or GP for that matter, in the same circs?

Discombobulated (love it), I agree his presence helped to confuse the Charlton defence, I'm glad he did it and I am pleased Sami waved him forward. At this point in the season it's great to see such passion to get a result - but he needs to demonstrate that he is a capable of making a quality save from a goal threatening effort. I still maintain that he could have got a touch for the first goal & he was beaten at his near post for the second - I'm still not convinced.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Discombobulated (love it), I agree his presence helped to confuse the Charlton defence, I'm glad he did it and I am pleased Sami waved him forward. At this point in the season it's great to see such passion to get a result - but he needs to demonstrate that he is a capable of making a quality save from a goal threatening effort. I still maintain that he could have got a touch for the first goal & he was beaten at his near post for the second - I'm still not convinced.

Think you have a point here - definitely draws some attention as he attacks the ball, meaning KLL has more space........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvwW7D202Lw

KT17

Apr 19, 2014

I kinda agree with your sentiment, to me his ability looks a little sub-Kooshack, just thought your 'only contribution' comment a tad harsh! Cheers!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Let's talk about Lewis Dunk. What a blinding player he is!

Superb. MoM regardless of the goals - so composed on the ball and always in the right place defensively. The goals were just a bonus. I seriously think he could go a long, long way in the game.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Lewis Dunk will be in premiership within a year. Would not be entirely surprised if GP gets Sunderland to bid silly money now.

Brian Clough once said that a good keeper is worth 20 points a season. Stockdale has not shown so far that he can make THE difference (ok possibly one by going up for a corner) but has not had much chance to do so. The test for him will be when we play better teams.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
I was saying during and after the game, Stockdale hasnt really impressed me at all. Thinking about it, I dont think Ive seen him make a save!

If there have not been any shots on goal, how can he make a save ?
Both goals were from close quarters which are always the most difficult to deal with, do not know how anyone can blame Stockdale for them.
If he were as bad as some of you make out, then you would have you old favourite Ankergren replacing him. I know who I prefer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Both goals were from close quarters which are always the most difficult to deal with,.

1st goal was from outside the box wasn't it? It was definitely saveable.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm amazed that there's people that who are trying to find faults all the time with our players. Players make mistakes sometimes - he's not had any howlers so far and his distribution is a lot better than TK's was. Give him time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here