Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***PLAYER RATINGS*** vs Charlton

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Plenty of 'wait & sees' from me. When a few players gel we could be very good indeed. Think we're still one signing short, though - at least...
Stockdale - 5.5
Bruno - 7
Bennett - 6.5
Greer - 7.5
Dunk - 7 for the goals, needs to stop nodding off momentarily
Holla - 8 - very, very solid
JFC - 6
Crofts - 6 - still don't think he's fit, could be crucial when he is
Tex - 8 - class - wish we'd had him & Holla a few weeks earlier, we might be top already
Colunga - 6
CMS - 6.5 - worked hard against some horrible lumps, on his own - again

Gardner - 6 - no opinion yet
Kaz - 7 - worked hard, like to see him wider
Baldock - ?

You astound me. When did he nod off. He made one mistake the whole game and then corrected it with a tackle. That was a near a perfect display by a centre half as I have seen. Players make mistakes at any level if they didn't they are more likely to be playing at the highest level.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You astound me. When did he nod off. He made one mistake the whole game and then corrected it with a tackle. That was a near a perfect display by a centre half as I have seen. Players make mistakes at any level if they didn't they are more likely to be playing at the highest level.

The only nodding he done was as the ball hit their net, twice. 10 out of 10 for the lad

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Stockdale - 6 Clearly at fault for the first goal but nothing more he could have done with the second. Good distribution and I disagree with a lot of the other comments on this thread about his performance, and his overall performances for us so far.
Bruno - 7 Some nice touches as always, graceful in everything he did and offers an outlet down the right.
Greer - 6 Not at his commanding best today but wasn't really tested. The fact we conceded two is really unforunate today but highlights the difference between us and a lot of other teams at this level, we need several chances to score.
Dunk - 9 Just about the best centre back performance I've seen, two goals scored and countless interceptions, tackles distribution was fantastic, clearly the best player on the pitch today.
Bennett - 6 Gave the ball away quite often and his final pass was quite often misplaced or ineffective. Not his best performance, but he didn't play badly.
Holla - 8 Classy, skillful, brave, hard in the tackle and can pick a pass with either foot. Top class player, very good find but needs better players around him to get the most out of his talent.
Crofts - 4 Offered nothing. Deservedly withdrawn at half time and doesn't offer enough in this current formation - not at home at least. He'll run all day and he'll put in the shift you want of him but the midfield 3 were too negative in my opinion and there's not enough balance. Gardner adds more to the team as he can contribute more going foward creatively. Crofts will contribute goals, as we saw last season, but I don't think this system best utilises him.
Forster-Caskey - 6 Ordinary performance today but he's getting a lot of unfair criticism. Realistically he's only got Teixiera, CMS and Colunga (today) to find with forward passes and that doesn't give too much scope. He's a good player but needs to work on offering more in the final third.
Teixiera - 7 I disagree with the man of the match award, I thought he did a lot of things well but flitted in and out of the game too often for my liking and didn't effect it as much as he did against Bolton. Great player though!
Colunga - 7 About the same as Tex really, did a lot of things well but didn't really affect the game too much where it really matters. Obviously a good player and with more games, training and coaching by Sami and the lads, he'll be a useful weapon for us.
Mackail-Smith - 6 Disappointingly withdrawn at home when you're pushing on to get something from the game, and it would have been good to see what sort of understanding he could have forged with Baldock.

Subs
Gardner - 6 A cracking ball early on and then a few other neat passes, but no real impact.
LuaLua - 6 I'm done with him now. And playing him in the middle? Not for me. Exciting but rarely delivers.
Baldock - N/A Not given long enough but looked neat and tidy.

Overall, it was a good game of football and a whole lot more enjoyable than the majority of games last season! Decent cheeseburger post match too, so I have no complaints at all from my Amex experience today.

Agree with all of this and like your use of BOLD :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I shall clarify/amend it. They largely defended the first half with ease. I remember two good chances - Teixeira thwarted by a good save, and Bruno skying the ball. There may have been good balls into the box, but once there, chances were mostly snuffed out by strong disciplined defending. Hence the large number of corners - we (seemingly to me) frequently tried to take shots/cross the ball through a defender rather than make space for the shot/cross.

I agree, with the exception of Colunga, Tex and perhaps Bruno in the first half, there wasn't an awful lot in the way of clear cut chances, in the second as I have highlighted elsewhere felt worse to me, the Tex opportunity when he tried to 'square it' to Colunga.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What even the lualua quote? He delivered the cross for the equaliser

When playing in his only position, left wing. He only offers a smashed cross into the box after running past someone, or cutting inside to shoot. He's not a good enough fotballer to get involved in central positions. These current tactics don't suit him, he might fancy doing something a bit different (maybe he's also bored of seeing him come on after an hour, stand on the left wing waiting for the covering defender to come over to double up on him and then have Kaz try and run around them both before smashing it into the middle) - but he's got a lot of work to do to be good enough to offer something in that position.

I was in a bad mood when I wrote my player ratings, so maybe I was a bit harsh but I don't take back or change anything I wrote. Every squad needs someone like LuaLua who can come on and give the team a different dimension, but inevitably over the 4/5 years he's been here it's become a bit stale seeing him do the same thing all the time and I'd like to see a more technical winger come in with the ability to offer more to the team than the chaos Kaz brings - but I've got nothing against him and he did indeed put in the cross for Dunk's second, as well as playing the through ball for CMS' goal against Cheltenham.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
People scoring Crofty fairly low - thought he was ok myself. I assume carrying a knock so came off as he was better out there than JFC IMO...

As for Bennett - so good some bad but can see he will only get better & is a good signing!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What even the lualua quote? He delivered the cross for the equaliser

I cannot get his LuaLua quote whatsoever! Is constantly delivering - yesterday / Leeds / Cheltenham to name but 50% of our games this season hes assisted or scored in. sorry [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] but completely disagree!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I cannot get his LuaLua quote whatsoever! Is constantly delivering - yesterday / Leeds / Cheltenham to name but 50% of our games this season hes assisted or scored in. sorry [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] but completely disagree!

I'm just a bit bored of him now, it's the same thing all of the time - predictable and frustrating. I'm happy to be in the minority who feels that way though, the people around me continue to be really excited when he comes on and he has contributed a fair amount already.

In other news, does anyone agree that Forster-Caskey wouldn't be in the team if he wasn't left footed? I don't dislike him at all, I think he's neat and tidy and passes the ball well without ever really changing games in our favour and he's improving all the time - but if he was right footed I doubt he'd play such a prominent role in the team. [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] said that Crofts played better than JFC, assuming Crofts didn't have a knock, I would suggest the only reason Crofts came off instead of JFC was because he's right footed and JFC adds more natural balance.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm just a bit bored of him now, it's the same thing all of the time - predictable and frustrating. I'm happy to be in the minority who feels that way though, the people around me continue to be really excited when he comes on and he has contributed a fair amount already.

In other news, does anyone agree that Forster-Caskey wouldn't be in the team if he wasn't left footed? I don't dislike him at all, I think he's neat and tidy and passes the ball well without ever really changing games in our favour and he's improving all the time - but if he was right footed I doubt he'd play such a prominent role in the team. [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] said that Crofts played better than JFC, assuming Crofts didn't have a knock, I would suggest the only reason Crofts came off instead of JFC was because he's right footed and JFC adds more natural balance.

It's ok I'm in the minority who thought Crofts was ok! I agree Lua Lua better out wide tho - maybe that should be a plan B - bring KLL on & play him as a winger!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Switch the Holla and JFC marks and agreed. Baldock was making some excellent off the ball runs when he came on. Tex is clearly different class but maybe a tendency to showboat when he tires? Crofts does not fit in the system. A great match and all is looking very promising

I was going to say exactly the same re JFC and Holla's scores, in fact I agree with everything you've written :thumbsup:

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
stockdale 6
Bruno 7
Greer 6
dunk 9
Bennett 7
hola 7
crofts 5
JFC 7
colunga 6
tex 8
CMS 6

Gardner 6
KLL 7
baldock 5

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stockdale 5 -- should have done better with the first goal; he spends a lot of time out of his area
Bruno 6
Greer 7 -- he's having a good season
Dunk 9 -- he's quality; courtesy of him, we scored a goal from a corner :ohmy: ; will be surprised if he's playing for us next season
Bennett 6 -- very promising, and clearly a quality player, but didn't help us out for the second goal
Holla 7 -- he's also quality, but I'd like to see Toko play in his position, with him slightly more advanced
Crofts 5.5 -- good effort and pressing, but his touch might not be good enough for Hyypia
JFC 5 -- Hyypia likes him; I think we've got several better midfielders than him (Ince, Toko, Stephens, March, probably Gardener, Crofts)
Colunga 6 -- he's a livewire and I think we've done well to pick him up
Teixiera 8 (9 for first half; 7 for second, when he seemed to fade a bit and gave the ball away too much) -- a delight to watch
CMS 6 -- good effort

Subs:
Gardener 5.5 -- not quite sure what to make of him on that
LuaLua 7 -- intelligent cross
Baldock n/a

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/82...land-Championship-2014-2015-Brighton-Charlton

Yep. JFC had a passing accuracy of 90% and 6/7 accurate long balls (but no accurate corners from three).

Stockdale who also seems to be getting criticism for his distribution has 100% passing accuracy and 5/5 for long ball accuracy.

JFC was excellent, performing the role he is asked to do.
Get on the ball and give it to the likes of Tex, Colunga etc

People who have a pop at him are not recognising in my opinion what he is being asked to do.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Stockdale 3 - 2 touches. both picking ball from net

Bruno 6 - Slowed down 2nd half and hence everything had to go down other side or through middle
Greer 7 - SOLID
Dunk 9 - SOLID and 2 goals
Bennett 7 - Very impressed. Would have been an 8 is his final ball was better

Holla 7 - He is a wall

Crofts 6 - Didn't see much of ball
JFC 5 - Not his best game. Should have subbed earlier
Teixeira 8 - 1st half 9, 2nd half tired and 7

Corlunga 6 - Not much on show but when on same wavelength as Tex expect great things

CMS 6 - Barbara ran around a lot but only that sharp turn to get me excited

Subs
Gardner 6 - hardly noticed him
Lua Lua 7 - scared them, apart from comedy shot for throw in
Baldock 6 - Not sure he touched it

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I love how views change, I would be intrested to see how peoples view change depended on where they sit.

In the group of people who I know who get together after the game, WSU and

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here