Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Holla

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Surprised you don't think he should have protected the CB's more, particularly on the first. Felt he was better against Bolton.

I thought he was outstanding and the main reason that we kept winning the ball back so quickly. Don't forget that we restricted them to 1 clear cut chance and one well struck half chance (the first goal) that the keeper probably should've done better with.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I thought he was outstanding and the main reason that we kept winning the ball back so quickly. Don't forget that we restricted them to 1 clear cut chance and one well struck half chance (the first goal) that the keeper probably should've done better with.

You don't think that was because they sat back having scored then? Charlton were poor, BUT, they were very well organised and that was about all they had.

Guess we disagree about today, but agree about him being a class player.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Makes it all look very simple which is the sign of a good player. Dare I say it so early but is he to good for the Championship?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
So pleased we got him on a 3 year deal if these first few games are anything to go by.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Better than Bridcutt.

Yeah I did just say that.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Posh Spice is a slapper
She gets hot under the collar
Coz when she's shagging Beckham
She thinks of Danny Holla :)

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Think he is great and one of many standout players in the team today. Seems to do everything with ease, very tidy player.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was good to see that his judgment has improved on the 50/50s with English referees. I think his courage is his strength. We will have to accept that he may get sent off once a season though.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You don't think that was because they sat back having scored then? Charlton were poor, BUT, they were very well organised and that was about all they had.

Guess we disagree about today, but agree about him being a class player.

! That's because we made them look poor.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
! That's because we made them look poor.

No, that's because we gifted them an early goal, which enabled them to then sit back. Very organised, and difficult to break down as became more and more apparent, and further evidenced by the lack of clear chances in the second half and the fact our goals were a result of set-pieces.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No, that's because we gifted them an early goal, which enabled them to then sit back. Very organised, and difficult to break down as became more and more apparent, and further evidenced by the lack of clear chances in the second half and the fact our goals were a result of set-pieces.

"Gifted a goal" is far too harsh. Ventokele, who's currently in a rich vein of form, took advantage of an unlucky deflection, the ball could have ricocheted anywhere. You can't control everything in a 95 minute game of football.

I'm not sure what you mean by Charlton being very poor but very well organised, surely that's an oxymoron? Isn't being well organised very good and not very poor? In addition, their keeper made an excellent save to deny Teixeira an equaliser, their defence covered well to deny us opportunities, their midfield put in a major shift and their striker found the net twice away from home from the 2 chances he had. That reads like good not poor to me.

By the way, goals from set pieces are derived from attacking play not just gifted to us (and are given equal weight when determining the final score!). Our attacking play means that we will get more set piece opportunities (12 corners yesterday). Hyypia has spoken of the need for us to take advantage of set plays (in the way he did) and it's a positive that it appears Hyypia has encouraged Dunk to emulate his style of play.

For the large part of the game we were very composed and progressive; we restricted them to three chances, they were pressed back by us and if we had taken advantage of half of our opportunities we would have beaten them comfortably. They were a good side that we dominated but lacked the cutting edge to beat. Sometimes you just have to accept that you don't always get the rub of the green.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was good to see that his judgment has improved on the 50/50s with English referees. I think his courage is his strength. We will have to accept that he may get sent off once a season though.

Good point..he didnt get booked today....whereas the previous 2 he had.......prepared to put his foot in and a good passer...cracking player

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
"Gifted a goal" is far too harsh. Ventokele, who's currently in a rich vein of form, took advantage of an unlucky deflection, the ball could have ricocheted anywhere. You can't control everything in a 95 minute game of football.

I'm not sure what you mean by Charlton being very poor but very well organised, surely that's an oxymoron? Isn't being well organised very good and not very poor? In addition, their keeper made an excellent save to deny Teixeira an equaliser, their defence covered well to deny us opportunities, their midfield put in a major shift and their striker found the net twice away from home from the 2 chances he had. That reads like good not poor to me.

By the way, goals from set pieces are derived from attacking play not just gifted to us (and are given equal weight when determining the final score!). Our attacking play means that we will get more set piece opportunities (12 corners yesterday). Hyypia has spoken of the need for us to take advantage of set plays (in the way he did) and it's a positive that it appears Hyypia has encouraged Dunk to emulate his style of play.

For the large part of the game we were very composed and progressive; we restricted them to three chances, they were pressed back by us and if we had taken advantage of half of our opportunities we would have beaten them comfortably. They were a good side that we dominated but lacked the cutting edge to beat. Sometimes you just have to accept that you don't always get the rub of the green.
Very good summary well written.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

A good response.

However, Charlton were well organised, but offered little coming forward because they didn't have to having taken the lead. So, whilst yes that may because of our play, IMO it was because they didn't need to. When we started bombing forward a good team may well have picked us off, so poor.

In terms of the set plays, of course they are given equal status (bit surprised you put that), but Dunk's goals were a result of poor marking. We still failed to create that much in open play. 2 perhaps 3 good chances in the first, 1 maybe 2 in the second, and as you say by 'lacking the cutting edge' we didn't take them. Hence the need to create more.

It was encouraging, but really not as good as a number on here are suggesting. The goals we conceded were ridiculous and were lapses in concentration. Stockdale has admitted fault, but Bennett dangling a leg to clear on the first as well, and then letting their winger get a cross in when we had them double-banked with JFC can only be classed as sloppy. The forward took the chance, but it was a result of sloppy play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here