Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark e smith and the fall play brighton in september

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

dictionarypudding

Aug 29, 2014
The Ex are simply unmissable :)

In other news, the Concorde seem to expect this to sell out over the weekend, so tickets must be bought now, fall fans

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Seen them a few times and it's always surreal. The Old Market fire alarm and his solo thingy at the West Hill Community Centre come to mind. The later involved him walking into the kitchenette behind the stage, and sitting down, whilst he continued to sing.

[MENTION=587]Pevenseagull[/MENTION] was at the Old Market fire alarm gig...he was the one who got up on stage and kissed Mark E Smith. What MES and the rest of us didn't know was that Pevenseagull also had a fresh sea bass in his coat pocket at the time. I think I stage dived at that gig too. My recollection is a little blurry.

Did anyone else apart from Tom Hark Preston Park and me go to the Q&A at the old law court near the Prince Regent swimming pool that MES did a few years ago? Hilarious stuff especially MES's evident loathing for all things Brighton.

And how come MES always gets really, really fit girlfriends? It's his looks and the way he wears that leather blouson, isn't it?

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Actually, the Concorde 2 gig way back was possibly my favourite ever Fall gig. I think it was about in 2002 and it was the very first time I saw British Sea Power who were supporting. Ever since then it seems to be that German(?) video DJ who does the excruciatingly long mash-ups with Elvis and Dusty Springfield(?)

I remember one abortive occasion at the original Concorde (now by Burger King on the seafront) where MES was supposed to be doing a DJ set at a club night called "That Stupid Club". It was an open mic, spoken word event for transgenders, cross-dressers and lezzers. Half the club that night were Fall fans, the other half were there to listen to bad poems. I remember one poor girl getting up on stage wrapped in her duvet and telling us that 5 out of 6 people with ME were lesbians and didn't have a voice. Cue lots of drunk Fall fans shouting "Who said that?"

Mark E never turned up, or if he did it was for the last 20 minutes.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Bumping the thread six times urging folk to 'get their tickets quick' didn't give it away?! :jester:

To be fair, that's normally the preserve of an undersold gig.

I'd imagine Fall gigs are pretty hard to promote as it goes, especially at a venue the size of the Concorde. The band themselves have no social media presence and act like they expect it to sell itself. They tour regularly so if you miss one it's no real biggie.

Last time I saw them at the Concorde it was probably 2/3 full so if DP has sold this one out, they've done a smashing job.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
To be fair, that's normally the preserve of an undersold gig.

I'd imagine Fall gigs are pretty hard to promote as it goes, especially at a venue the size of the Concorde. The band themselves have no social media presence and act like they expect it to sell itself. They tour regularly so if you miss one it's no real biggie.

Last time I saw them at the Concorde it was probably 2/3 full so if DP has sold this one out, they've done a smashing job.

Pretty sure their last local appearance at The Old Market sold out so hopefully this one will too.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Really looking forward to this one. I want the full Fall experience - MES hiding behind speaker stacks, forgetting lyrics, twiddling knobs and dials mid-song, berating a band member, treating the audience with contempt. All to a backing track of powerhouse rockabilly/Mancunian krautrock/noise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here