Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was Enoch Powell correct?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There is a Desert Island Discs interview with Powell on the iplayer podcast archive, 1985 I think. Found it rather interesting.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
My problem with immigration isn't necessarily the immigrants themselves but that they are given benefits, housing, jobs, NHS etc as soon as they enter the country when there are many British people who have lived here all their lives unable to obtain any of that. Pensioners unable to afford heating for example - how is this allowed to happen?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My problem with immigration isn't necessarily the immigrants themselves but that they are given benefits, housing, jobs, NHS etc as soon as they enter the country when there are many British people who have lived here all their lives unable to obtain any of that. Pensioners unable to afford heating for example - how is this allowed to happen?

It was the previous labour government that delivered the very generous benefits for all model that has cost us all so much more in debt.

SOOTY

Aug 25, 2014

Listen to the words of this song we made...to the end..said by a Holby City and Full Monty actor....!x I gave the tunes proceeds 50/50 to the EDL/UAF for Community projects. They banned me from their sites for being too honest!!x The Kick Out Racism folk ain't been able to face me since I turned up like this at a talking shop meet organised by ignorant folk at me club.....in which Luther Blissett was paraded like they were 200 years ago.........pah.!x

It wos a circus.....init.

clown.jpg

......thank you all for the 'stimulation'....you do well to have such chats in these forums!x Many I frequent go all shy when real issues are discussed. Respect Webby and all....X Now i'm off to top me tan up......!x Don't wanna look like u honky's y'all chah!!!.......as they woulda said in Love Thy Neighbour.....and I love you all!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

redhill seagull 66

May 25, 2012
look out the window. is there fighting in the streets? no. he was wrong.

Not yet,only a matter of time though.From your window can you see thousands of kids being raped by muslims in rochdale,derby,rotherham and god knows how many other places?.Whilst those in power are turning a blind eye.Enoch was very right as history will show

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
look out the window. is there fighting in the streets? no. he was wrong.

Due to start anytime soon. Terrorist threat raised to severe.
No fighting at the moment but there has been plenty over the decades on the streets of Britain.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Yes, he was right. 7/7 alone proved him right.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Ahead of his time...X But would he have spotted the mass influx of 'white' folk that the UK has 'suffered' in recent years? Nobody said a word...and really still don't...about the Eastern Block influx. Big ain't they....!x I have a pallet distribution firm....Nationwide. In the past 8 years....every factory we deliver too....has been taken over by Eastern Block 'gangers' and their 'workers'....which they supply accommodation for too....and tax them accordingly. Ipso Facto....you cannot get an English breakfast today....without 'em!x They produce the everyday food for Tesco/Morrisons/Asda...blah blah. Cheap labour with iron fist rule and fags/drugs all controlled by the 'Gangers' in each factory. Did an undercover Documentary about it a couple of years ago.....not 1 media outlet dare go near it. Enoch may have been blinded by colour on occasion.....but his principle...was solid....I reckon...X Been to a Boot Sale lately???? Glasnost...X
@@
~
LUV
SHOCKING
OF
CAMBRIDGE
X

View attachment 58031

Sooty mate. Whatever it is. Keep taking it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
At the time I was appalled by Powell's racist view of things. In the forty odd years since then, problems have developed; multicultural society has become a divided society; religion and culture rather than race are the problems, I think. So possibly - just possibly - Enoch Powell was right, but for the wrong reasons.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
After his controversial "Rivers of Blood" speech, looking back on it now, was he right?

So let's cherry pick a few quotes from history and make them fit what we perceive to be an issue of today? What a complete load of bollocks. I admire Enoch Powell for his honesty (at the time) and he would be a great example to the politicians of today. But ... What EP was referring to was immigration of 'coloured' (sorry, can't think of a better descriptor) personnel but the issue today is white immigration from Eastern Europe. This quote is some 50 years old and is irrelevant in today's society.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Until immigration has an immediate effect on your personal life you wont really care either way I didn't. I had a thriving business which I started in 1998 by 2009 it was all but over due to being undercut by stupid amounts on almost every job I priced.

At one point I had ten employees earning a very good wage, sadly now the building trade in this country is ruined, most of the money earned by Eastern Europeans from building works is being sent back to their country of origin to build their own houses. I know the construction industry is only one side of the immigration problem but how many more industries are going to be suffer before anyone in power takes action?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It will be well under way by then. It is now. Over 10,000 independent studies have been conducted into climate change and they have all come to the conclusion that catastrophic climate change is occurring and it's happening a lot faster than anyone expected.

have to chuckle at that, i doubt theres 10000 independent studies on any subject, least of all this one that relies on the same small set of data being reguritated over and over again. and its not happening faster than predicted, the increase has in fact stalled since the late 90's.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
have to chuckle at that, i doubt theres 10000 independent studies on any subject, least of all this one that relies on the same small set of data being reguritated over and over again. and its not happening faster than predicted, the increase has in fact stalled since the late 90's.

Nothing you have written in that sentence is the least bit true. And there are over 12,000 studies on it. Do some research before you give it the big one yeah?

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Due to start anytime soon. Terrorist threat raised to severe.
No fighting at the moment but there has been plenty over the decades on the streets of Britain.

Already started there was a major incident in the blackwall tunnel on 31 july free palestine protesters not widely reported and shows a lot of poeple blocking the tunnel and running amock . I wish could download the incident for you but it is on you tube for all to see .....

D

Deleted member 22389

Until immigration has an immediate effect on your personal life you wont really care either way I didn't. I had a thriving business which I started in 1998 by 2009 it was all but over due to being undercut by stupid amounts on almost every job I priced.

At one point I had ten employees earning a very good wage, sadly now the building trade in this country is ruined, most of the money earned by Eastern Europeans from building works is being sent back to their country of origin to build their own houses. I know the construction industry is only one side of the immigration problem but how many more industries are going to be suffer before anyone in power takes action?

If I told you living standards in Poland have increased, I don't think you would be surprised. I said on another thread that Poland and possibly a few other countries are the only ones who have seen real benefits from being members of the EU. When the average wage in these countries where some of the worst in the EU zone before the global downturn, it was never going effect them. Every other country that enjoyed better living standards such as Spain, France, Italy, Greece have fallen off the cliff. If people can come to the UK and earn 5-6 times as much and put that money back in to their own economy it will eventually improve their own countries. What you highlight here is the same thing I have heard from my brother in law who also works in the industry.

http://www.krakowpost.com/article/592

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
yeah and because the poles etc have forced construction workers wages down or kept them at nearly the same level they have been for about 8 years its no wonder no-one can take on youngsters to teach them the skills as the bloody poles charge less than what a youngster would get. Imagine if say 100,000 polish solicitora xame over here and our solicitors had to slash there wages theyd be bloody uproar.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
let's cut to the chase and not dance around the issue like all the politicians do

alot of people feel were undergoing a silent invasion from islam,but are too scared to comment because they will be labelled racist
alot of people also are burying there heads in the sand,hoping that it'll all turn out OK
and you have a very small minority,mostly young single blokes with no kids that live in a flat,with no future generation to worry about,that don't give a shit

was Enoch Powell right? well yes and no

yes there was alot of racist undertones between blacks & whites from say the 60's through to the mid 80's,but not now,blacks integrate and have become British
but the problem with Asians is they don't and live in highly concentrated areas and basically keep themselves to themselves in private life and in business

i think there will be alot of trouble to come,when all these nutters get back from Syria & Iraq and start spearding their poison onto young Asians,Britain will know about it sooner or later,will make the IRA look like a load of fairies

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
let's cut to the chase and not dance around the issue like all the politicians do

alot of people feel were undergoing a silent invasion from islam,but are too scared to comment because they will be labelled racist
alot of people also are burying there heads in the sand,hoping that it'll all turn out OK
and you have a very small minority,mostly young single blokes with no kids that live in a flat,with no future generation to worry about,that don't give a shit

was Enoch Powell right? well yes and no

yes there was alot of racist undertones between blacks & whites from say the 60's through to the mid 80's,but not now,blacks integrate and have become British
but the problem with Asians is they don't and live in highly concentrated areas and basically keep themselves to themselves in private life and in business

i think there will be alot of trouble to come,when all these nutters get back from Syria & Iraq and start spearding their poison onto young Asians,Britain will know about it sooner or later,will make the IRA look like a load of fairies

You obviously don't have much experience with Africans.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
So let's cherry pick a few quotes from history and make them fit what we perceive to be an issue of today? What a complete load of bollocks. I admire Enoch Powell for his honesty (at the time) and he would be a great example to the politicians of today. But ... What EP was referring to was immigration of 'coloured' (sorry, can't think of a better descriptor) personnel but the issue today is white immigration from Eastern Europe. This quote is some 50 years old and is irrelevant in today's society.
Sorry but the main issue for me is the Islamic extremists having been fighting 'the cause' in Syria and Iraq are allowed to enter freely back into Britain. You couldn't make this shit up. Time for people to get their heads out the sand.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here