Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you spend as much on catering at the Amex as you would like?

Do you spend as much at the Amex as you would like to?

• Yes - I get what I want when I want it

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • No - I could spend more but the catering set-up doesn't allow me to

Votes: 151 79.1%

• Total voters

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm not that interested in buying food at the stadium, unless I've been unable to get some lunch, for some reason. However, I always get a half-time cup of tea and drinks for the children. This is in ESL. There is never any Capri Sun. Twice there hasn't been any tea. Chocolate bars are occasionally unavailable. Generally things are ok, but obviously the queues are annoying and things take longer than you think. Teas, coffees and beers being prepared all the time behind the counter would be much better and turnover would surely be swift. I would guess that quite a lot more would be purchased as impulse buys if the process was slicker and faster. As it is, at HT anyway, you're thankful if what you want is available, let alone done and dusted within 2-3 mins rather than 10.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We used to arrive in plenty of time for a few drinks and on occasion a meal in the Overline Lounge, when the meal prices doubled in price we changed to the pies. After the game we would hang about for an hour or so.

Now, and for most of last season, the service is so diabolical that we go out in Brighton pre match, or occasionally to the Swan, and get to the ground for around 2:30-2:45. Maybe have a pint, (if they haven't run out), but no pies any more, they seem to be either run out or completely overcooked and inedible.

After the game we are more likely to move to the WSL bars or Dicks, which seem somewhat more competent at pouring a pint, or serving an edible pie if there are any left.

In answer to the question, no, I don't spend as much as I'd be prepared to at the Amex, due to the appalling service and poor quality.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Half time is the major problem for me. I don t want to miss the football so i will wait till half time. If this happens though the line for a pint is massive in the north and you miss the start of the 2nd half. They have started doing bottles and i occasionally go for them but not often.
Before and after i generally get what i want to.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Queues at halftime are a complete put off the only reason we get a pint at ht is as others say we leave on the 40th minute and there are 4 of us taking turns if I for any reason am on my own I don't bother.

The other point I used to use the beer kiosk in ESL but now with the price increase I only buy with my season ticket as the discount makes it viable and the beer kiosk for some ridiculous reason are incapable of paying with eCard.

Agree that the quality of the pies has dropped greatly and are now more convenience food than a treat.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
For an oldie like me queing for a long time and then being faced wih incompetent staff, plus balancing pie/burger and pint whilst having to stand has put me off. If I see a short q in WSl before the game I might be tempted as I was last Saturday but the guy did not know what Bovril was and took over a minute to find a Cheeseburger only to come back and tell me there were none. I shall not bother again just as I have stopped buying a programme. Too dear.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
At Glorious Goodwood a fair few years ago they installed a machine that you loaded up with (I think) 24 glasses, pressed a button and it poured 24 pints of lager at the same time. Can't see any reason why they couldn't do the same at the Amex. I'm sure such machines are not cheap, but would probably pay for themselves pretty quickly over the course of a season on increased half-time revenue alone.

They use these at Reading FC, where I saw them for the first time and I was so surprised not to see them at the Amex after being told the club had visited all the new grounds and got the best ideas from all of them. Well these machines definitely worked at Reading and the queue's just moved along quickly, At the Amex your server walks away and just stands in front of a guy who is trying to pull pints for all the servers, so stupid.

Last edited:

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I had to vote 'no'.

Other than on a rare occasions where they have run out of pies (more so in the early days) I have found the service to be fine. The reason I have voted 'no' is the 'pie & drink' offer that has been in place since the Amex opened has vanished...So has the excellent 'pie, drink & snack' meal deal that was around last season.

So now, I only satisfy myself with a single pie so I am spending less but would part with more cash if these deals returned.

I am guessing this threads results are being fed back into the club so I hope they take note!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

This.

Just can't be arsed anymore and the final straw was Saturday WSU North end kiosk at half time, three of the tills not staffed, queue back to windows, and this was before the half had finished.

Seriously, if you want my money you can have it, just try not to make it a chore for me to give it to you.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They started selling bottles of bulmers (and the red bulmers- raspberry?) in (280ml?) bottles at the stalls in the WSL last season (or at least they did at the main drinks stall by the gents at the north end of the concourse). This season I've moved to the WSU. Haven't noticed any up there yet.

Bulmers. I thought you said they served cider?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They use these at Reading FC, where I saw them for the first time and I was so surprised not to see them at the Amex after being told the club had visited all the new grounds and got the best ideas from all of them. Well these machines definitely worked at Reading and the queue's just moved along quickly, At the Amex your server walks away and just stands in front of a guy who is trying to feed all the servers with pints, so stupid.

This. I really do not buy the club's argument about it being difficult to serve customers due to the massive peaks and short windows of time etc. I have been to plenty of stadia and Arenas in the UK and across the world where they have got it right. There must be plenty of serving models which the club can borrow for their needs. This is not new or unique to the Albion. I dread to think how much the club is losing because of their poor set up.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
This. I really do not buy the club's argument about it being difficult to serve customers due to the massive peaks and short windows of time etc. I have been to plenty of stadia and Arenas in the UK and across the world where they have got it right. There must be plenty of serving models which the club can borrow for their needs. This is not new or unique to the Albion. I dread to think how much the club is losing because of their poor set up.

If the club reads only one post on this thread, let it be this one.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Always get a cuppa when we get there but gave up on the idea of getting food and drink at half time a long time ago and take my own flask now, there have been many occasions when I've fancied some warm food at half time but going anywhere near the kiosk in a wheelchair is far too risky without a hard hat and full set of waterproofs.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I would have had a pint at half time on Saturday but the queues were too long. What happened to the Harveys Beer points - they have gone from ESL.

Definitely spend less than I would.

(You can add the price of the pies to that - but don't tell Bozza).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Always get a cuppa when we get there but gave up on the idea of getting food and drink at half time a long time ago and take my own flask now, there have been many occasions when I've fancied some warm food at half time but going anywhere near the kiosk in a wheelchair is far too risky without a hard hat and full set of waterproofs.

I guess you could slip a hot dog in your flask, hey ho, warm food, and a delicious savoury drink too.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Often hungry at half time, however no chance of getting a pie so have to give it a swerve.

The complancey of the staff in the west lower after the game also puts me off. First home game i bit into 3 pies before eventually getting the correct one, Bolton game they only had a few tills open after the whistle so queues where big. Eventually they cottoned on and opened more.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No, still waiting for the express £5 strong lager outlet
Adam Smith solved this issue as recently as 1776... Division of Labour. When the person serving you has as varied options as chips, beer, tea, hot dogs & crisps to gather it will be slow..
Eg Dedicated beer only areas concentrate all minds
Anyway, employing Uni staff knowing they are off til mid Sept is part of the issue right now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here