Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you spend as much on catering at the Amex as you would like?

Do you spend as much at the Amex as you would like to?

• Yes - I get what I want when I want it

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • No - I could spend more but the catering set-up doesn't allow me to

Votes: 151 79.1%

• Total voters

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I would send more too....I dont other than a single pie and pint before and sometimes a drink after if I am waiting for a train. Half time is a disaster, Dicks Bar can be a tad bland, and lacks enough space and seating to make us stay and spend.

Just my view.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Probably would spend more but I just can't be arsed with the queues at times. Soul destroying.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Firstly, this thread is not for the following:

- Those who think the pies and pints are too expensive
- Those who don't understand why people can't go to football without getting something to eat or drink

If the catering at the Amex has little interest to you for any reason, move on. There are other threads for you.

This thread is for those who are happy to buy food and drink at the Amex when they're there.

To this latter group of people I ask: do you spend as much at the Amex as you feel you could or may want to?

I don't. I'm happy to spend money at the Amex but I find I am repeatedly thwarted:

- Food being out of stock at key times
- Queues being too long (particularly at half-time. If you leave your seat when the first half ends, and not before, you're not getting a drink.)
- No 'quick service' drinks options. I'm told there are still uber-expensive Fosters bottle stalls, but I've not seen one in the WSU, and there used to be beer backpack dudes, but they've long since gone.

We hear that more people at the Amex buy food and drink than at other grounds and we also spend more than most/all other fans. There seems to be back-slapping galore at this, complacency even. I would spend more if the club made it possible for me to do so. How about you?

Sorry Bozza if I am wrong is this a question the club have asked you to ask, just seems a bit well only they would be interested on a marketing interest.

The answer to the question is yes I would spend more if I thought it was value for for money, sometimes I just feel I'm being gauged.

Oh and an after thought, I am damn sure when I visited the stadium for work during building I am sure there was going to be a booth or slot for a ladbrokes or someone on the concourse if so what happened to that idea ? I'm sure the club would make a mint of mugs that way.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I would buy a pint more often if it wasn't for the queues in the WSU, at the Derby play off game last season I queued up for 20 minutes for a pint, got to the front to be told no pint because it was too near kick off.
I would have to get to the stadium earlier to guarantee getting a couple of beers.

I have never tried to get a pint at half time as I'm sure I would miss the start of the second half.

I think it would be fair to say the WSU has plenty of fans that like a pint, what is needed is part of each kiosk to be BEER ONLY, I'm sure I have seen this at other stadiums.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry Bozza if I am wrong is this a question the club have asked you to ask, just seems a bit well only they would be interested on a marketing interest.

Quite the opposite.

I was genuinely shocked at what I took to be complacency around catering sales at the Amex. My impression is one of a management meeting at the Amex on a Monday morning following a home game where high-5s are exchanged at the stupendous catering sales. However, a little over 36 hours earlier I believe many are pulling their hair out as they desperately try to give the club money but can't.

It may be the nature of the beast and I fully concede half-times in well-attended sporting stadia are always going to be a challenge, but I fail to believe improvements can't be made based on what I witness most games.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Nothing (bar crisps/chocolate-hardly filling) for those of us who cant eat wheat with only options being burgers/hot dogs/pies! Was meant to be a Thai rice option once upon a time, but really poor there is nothing not wrapped in bread/bun or pastry in this day and age at such an otherwise great venue.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
We are forever being told about staying behind after the game so as to avoid the queues. Fine. However, when Harveys has run out around 5.30pm at both serving stations in the lower west as it did last Saturday, that rather answers one of the questions.......

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Quite the opposite.

I was genuinely shocked at what I took to be complacency around catering sales at the Amex. My impression is one of a management meeting at the Amex on a Monday morning following a home game where high-5s are exchanged at the stupendous catering sales. However, a little over 36 hours earlier I believe many are pulling their hair out as they desperately trying to give the club money but can't.

It may be the nature of the beast and I fully concede half-times in well-attending sporting stadia are always going to be a challenge, but I fail to believe improvements can't be made based on what I witness most games.

Fair do's

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Nothing (bar crisps/chocolate-hardly filling) for those of us who cant eat wheat with only options being burgers/hot dogs/pies! Was meant to be a Thai rice option once upon a time, but really poor there is nothing not wrapped in bread/bun or pastry in this day and age at such an otherwise great venue.

There's chips now mate :moo:

Ruffy

Jun 24, 2014
My experiences, which are at around an hour to 45 minutes before kick off are that there are little prepoured drinks, staff that are slow or useless and a general lack of coordination, especially this season.

The first season seemed to be quite smooth - ie. someone pouring pints, making a line and then replenishing, meaning a drink could be obtained by the server in about ten seconds, plus someone else helping hand out the pies / drinks etc, thereby meaning the servers could simply worry about money in, refreshments out, quick queue turnaround.
This seems to have now disappeared, and the servers seem to flap around, either pouring it themselves, not being able to obtain a drink, scratching their heads where things are, plus trying to take payment, meaning the service has got around three times longer at least.

I've never brought anything at half time, simply due to the clusterf**k before the match starts just puts me off. And I'm tight....

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't have a burning desire to spend money at the ground. I will buy a pie if I'm hungry and the queues aren't too long, I rarely drink because it took a while for them to stock a cider other than Strongbow, and then when they did in the wsl it was at the cash only stalls, so I couldn't use my card.

I have always been able to get what I want, but my want for stuff at the stadium is affected by how easy it is to get. So, I'm a bit of both - I have been able to get what I want when I want it, but if it was easier to get what I wanted I might want it more frequently. (Though prices would affect it too).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It may be the nature of the beast and I fully concede half-times in well-attending sporting stadia are always going to be a challenge, but I fail to believe improvements can't be made based on what I witness most games.
That's the nub of it, and the identical 'problem' with transport.

Peoples expectations are unrealistic.
A high percentage of 25,000+ people all want the same thing at the same time, in a confined area.

When I was buying food, even the longest queues in the ESL were less than 15 minutes.
But rocking up 10 minutes into halftime and then moaning about queuing isn't the fault of the queue.

I've always felt the complaints from around the ground didn't really apply to 'us', in the ESL.
It'll be interesting to know what the ratio of seats/fans/kiosks/staff/ovens etc is, throughout the stadium.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't have a burning desire to spend money at the ground. I will buy a pie if I'm hungry and the queues aren't too long, I rarely drink because it took a while for them to stock a cider other than Strongbow, and then when they did in the wsl it was at the cash only stalls, so I couldn't use my card.

What?

I wasn't even going to mention the complete disregard shown to cider drinkers. What is this other cider and where can it be bought?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What?

I wasn't even going to mention the complete disregard shown to cider drinkers. What is this other cider and where can it be bought?

They started selling bottles of bulmers (and the red bulmers- raspberry?) in (280ml?) bottles at the stalls in the WSL last season (or at least they did at the main drinks stall by the gents at the north end of the concourse). This season I've moved to the WSU. Haven't noticed any up there yet.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Getting a pint in the WSU at half time pretty much impossible!

Many people want a couple of pints at half time, could they not take a 100 or so pre orders and have two queues that are used to pick up pre brought drinks.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Many people want a couple of pints at half time, could they not take a 100 or so pre orders and have two queues that are used to pick up pre brought drinks.

I've been sitting here mulling over how pre-bought drinks, theatre style, could work.

I hear there is a sizeable proportion of the Amex crowd who don't like a pre-poured drink. Fine - let them queue. I am sure many would happily swap a bit of pre-pouring for the convenience of actually being able to get a drink.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
When I was in ESU, the answer would have been no. The queueing times, lack of stock and general idiocy of many of the staff meant that I basically gave up buying anything.

Now I'm in 1901, the answer is yes. Queuing time is close to zero, they rarely (but not never) run out of stock and, perhaps because the staff:fan ratio is higher and thus the staff are not so stressed, the staff idiocy is considerably lower.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here