Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The UK is "deeply elitist" do you agree?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So when was the last time a private school paid a dividend ? That's what businesses do. Yes let's make it unviable for a lot of these schools to operate and force more kids to use the state system that their parents are already paying for but not using , let's add even more kids to the register without any extra money to pay for them, typical flawed left wing politics of envy.

I'd be curious to know what portion of fee paying parents would no longer consider private schooling if they or the school didn't get tax breaks, forcing fees upwards? I know these people are not all millionaires, but money is really not an object for most of them. Being pragmatic and removing any envy (or accusations of envy) from this, the answer to that question should provide the answer as to whether tax breaks are sensible. It should come down to what costs the government more money - the loss of tax income, or the extra burden of those kids to the state, who would go to private schools if the tax breaks existed. I don't know the answer to that question.

Incidentally, why is it that in an industrial powerhouse like Germany, the idea of paying to send your child to a private school is completely laughable whereas here it appears to be something to aspire to for some?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'd be curious to know what portion of fee paying parents would no longer consider private schooling if they or the school didn't get tax breaks, forcing fees upwards? I know these people are not all millionaires, but money is really not an object for most of them. Being pragmatic and removing any envy (or accusations of envy) from this, the answer to that question should provide the answer as to whether tax breaks are sensible. It should come down to what costs the government more money - the loss of tax income, or the extra burden of those kids to the state, who would go to private schools if the tax breaks existed. I don't know the answer to that question.

Incidentally, why is it that in an industrial powerhouse like Germany, the idea of paying to send your child to a private school is completely laughable whereas here it appears to be something to aspire to for some?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...he-credit-crunch-is-closing-down-schools.html
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/educ...ing-closure-over-fall-in-numbers-8522282.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/money/...hools-as-the-recession-bites-8099974.htmlWith regards to your comment about Germany , see my post about grammar schools

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

As an aside die Frau works at a fee paying private international school but it is means tested so the rich are, in effect, subsidising the poor. Everyone has to pay but it's a fairly low entry level; cannot remember the exact amount but recall thinking if you have a job it is certainly within scope. The thing which interests me the most is that there is seemingly no issue with very rich and privilidged parents sending their children to a school with the great unwashed. I'm not sure this is, or would be, the case in the UK.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

You've not answered my question at all. These schools are closing because of the downturn in the economy over the past 5 years which means lots of parents aren't able to pay regardless, not because tax credits are being withdrawn. I'm ONLY interested in what that small margin of people is, who will make a decision on whether or not to go private based on whether or not a fee paying school has charity status.

I kind of agree with the grammar school idea - it's not ideal though. In Kent, where that system still exists, the driven parents pay for tutoring to ensure their kids are coached to pass the 11+. I'd be fine with that if grammar schools could be a LOT more flexible on the number of entrants. Instead, it's a total bunfight, which means that talented kids do miss out and end up at the wrong school.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
So when was the last time a private school paid a dividend ? That's what businesses do. Yes let's make it unviable for a lot of these schools to operate and force more kids to use the state system that their parents are already paying for but not using , let's add even more kids to the register without any extra money to pay for them, typical flawed left wing politics of envy.

Oh dear oh dear! That hoary old cliché "politics of envy". The classic rejoinder from people who cannot articulate a proper argument. Do yourself a favour and never use it again

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As an aside die Frau works at a fee paying private international school but it is means tested so the rich are, in effect, subsidising the poor. Everyone has to pay but it's a fairly low entry level; cannot remember the exact amount but recall thinking if you have a job it is certainly within scope. The thing which interests me the most is that there is seemingly no issue with very rich and privilidged parents sending their children to a school with the great unwashed. I'm not sure this is, or would be, the case in the UK.

Interesting thought. The school my children attend(ed) gives out about 5 bursaries a year in a school of 200 children. While not massive it does mean the richer parents are paying for some poorer parents to send their children there. On the reverse side, my partner used to work at Great Walstead school - I name them because you would expect better of a Christian School - and the Head proposed a bursary scheme. The horror and disgust from the parents and governors was heart breaking. Rich Mid-Sussex Christians would appear to object helping those less fortunate than themselves.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You've not answered my question at all. These schools are closing because of the downturn in the economy over the past 5 years which means lots of parents aren't able to pay regardless, not because tax credits are being withdrawn. I'm ONLY interested in what that small margin of people is, who will make a decision on whether or not to go private based on whether or not a fee paying school has charity status.

I kind of agree with the grammar school idea - it's not ideal though. In Kent, where that system still exists, the driven parents pay for tutoring to ensure their kids are coached to pass the 11+. I'd be fine with that if grammar schools could be a LOT more flexible on the number of entrants. Instead, it's a total bunfight, which means that talented kids do miss out and end up at the wrong school.

Fair enough , I'll look for evidence when I have the time , anecdotally I know several sets of parents who struggle with school fees , who knows if they would be able to pay if they were to rise due to schools losing their charity status, now you may not have any sympathy with their plight , but that wasn't the point I was making.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Oh dear oh dear! That hoary old cliché "politics of envy". The classic rejoinder from people who cannot articulate a proper argument. Do yourself a favour and never use it again

Unfortunately for you I have articulated an argument , its you who has posted a meaningless empty cliche.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fair enough , I'll look for evidence when I have the time , anecdotally I know several sets of parents who struggle with school fees , who knows if they would be able to pay if they were to rise due to schools losing their charity status, now you may not have any sympathy with their plight , but that wasn't the point I was making.
Obviously I don't have any more sympathy than they would have because I'm struggling to pay the mortgage on my oversized house. And I really don't care whether or not private schools close. There are other schools, private and state, that these kids can attend. We don't live in Kenya where a privately funded school closure means no education.

But I know the point you're making is that some people struggle to pay fees, and might not be able to if charity status was rescinded. So the question is whether the number of potential private school drop outs adding the burden to the state justifies the loss of tax income to the exchequer that the entire school would have to pay.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Obviously I don't have any more sympathy than they would have because I'm struggling to pay the mortgage on my oversized house. And I really don't care whether or not private schools close. There are other schools, private and state, that these kids can attend. We don't live in Kenya where a privately funded school closure means no education.

But I know the point you're making is that some people struggle to pay fees, and might not be able to if charity status was rescinded. So the question is whether the number of potential private school drop outs adding the burden to the state justifies the loss of tax income to the exchequer that the entire school would have to pay.
It is indeed, and its one I can't be bothered to research !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It is indeed, and its one I can't be bothered to research !
Me neither, and I'll bet the Conservatives would never bother researching it either, because any change to the status quo risks annoying their core vote - even if it is the right thing to do.

It's not hard to conclude that they'll do what they need to ensure their well-off natural voters are looked after with these tax breaks. Especially when you consider their half arsed attempt at means-testing child benefit, which affects a lot more people and for whom private schools are completely out of reach.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Me neither, and I'll bet the Conservatives would never bother researching it either, because any change to the status quo risks annoying their core vote - even if it is the right thing to do.

It's not hard to conclude that they'll do what they need to ensure their well-off natural voters are looked after with these tax breaks. Especially when you consider their half arsed attempt at means-testing child benefit, which affects a lot more people and for whom private schools are completely out of reach.

ALL 3 mainstream parties are in it for themselves and will prostitute their beliefs or actually 'doing the right thing' for a few extra votes, as evidenced by Denis mcshanes cringingly awful article on why he didn't dig deeper on the Yorkshire child abuse scandal, in don't know anyone who isn't deeply disillusioned with politicians.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting thought. The school my children attend(ed) gives out about 5 bursaries a year in a school of 200 children. While not massive it does mean the richer parents are paying for some poorer parents to send their children there. On the reverse side, my partner used to work at Great Walstead school - I name them because you would expect better of a Christian School - and the Head proposed a bursary scheme. The horror and disgust from the parents and governors was heart breaking. Rich Mid-Sussex Christians would appear to object helping those less fortunate than themselves.

It's an interesting concept die Frau is exposed to. The school is expanding as well so it seems to be a popular model. Whilst it sits within the regular bundes schooling system it is totally bereft of government melding and people checking up on you with clipboards.

And For the record I don't really have an issue with public schools per se.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I found within the public school system there to be microcosms of the adult elite world. I was on a scholarship and was paid for. Some parents not only paid fees but made donations yearly. It was no surprise to see the children of these parents being given positions on school boards, in First sports teams, in plays, orchestra, choir, receiving form prizes etc.

Of course it could have just been that I was crap at all of the above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here