Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia doesn't speak Spanish

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Considering the large amount of Spanish speakers in the squad and at the club in general does anyone else think this should have been a key requirement to finding a manager?

I think this and Jones as assistant (as a Spanish speaker) helped Oscar last season.

If Sami (as he admitted last night) can't communicate with some of the players directly, how can he be expected to get his message across successfully?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Considering the large amount of Spanish speakers in the squad and at the club in general does anyone else think this should have been a key requirement to finding a manager?

I think this and Jones as assistant (as a Spanish speaker) helped Oscar last season.

If Sami (as he admitted last night) can't communicate with some of the players directly, how can he be expected to get his message across successfully?

By getting Jones to do it.

Next.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He seems to have done alright in the past few games. Moaning just for the sake of it? A lot of the top clubs in the Premiership have a range of nationalities amongst their players, I doubt all managers are bilingual, they have others to translate for them, in this case Jones.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I wonder how all the top clubs that have numerous nationalities to deal with. It just ruin their chances of winning anything. Oh, hang on

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Do we actually have that many now that Orlandi, Lopez, Rodriguez and Ulloa have all left?

Bruno and Calde, both of whom speak English, plus Colunga... anyone else? Obviously Tex is Portugese but he also speaks English.

Basically, we have one player that requires translating.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Do we actually have that many now that Orlandi, Lopez, Rodriguez and Ulloa have all left?

Bruno and Calde, both of whom speak English, plus Colunga... anyone else? Obviously Tex is Portugese but, having been in England for a couple of years, you'd have thought he'd have a working knowledge of English.

I think Colunga is the only one that does not speak English.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Calde looks after the Spanish players when they arrive, as shown previously, so he can translate instructions, but Nathan Jones is also fluent in Spanish.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

What a load of rubbish. Except for Colunga, with other players having left, the only two Spanish players are Calderon and Bruno and they both speak good English. Surely, on your basis, the new manager should know every language in case we get a new signing who doesn't speak English.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Coolunga will be speaking and understanding intermediate english in no time, Ulloa could only muster a few words when he came and now has an ok command of English. Even Calderon's english was pretty poor at first and now albeit after five years, he's fluent.

Also I think Sami, being bilingual will pick up a fair bit of spanish in his time here.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

I think you're looking for a problem that doesn't exist tbh.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding

At least we know things are on the up, when people are clearly running out of things to moan/worry about.

We are an English club, Sami speaks good English, so do the vast majority of the players. Plus we have an array of senior players/coaches who can speak more than one language. Think we have it covered.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Oscar is Spanish, so not really. The point was more that he isn't communicating directly with the players in detail about tactics, positioning, strengths, weaknesses etc.

I could see this being a hindrance as the season goes on... but no one else seems to so maybe I'm just scraping the barrel.

All I will say is I could see why we chose Oscar over other managers, it seemed consistent with the decision making process at the time. Appointing Hyypia seems slightly inconsistent. A slightly lazier choice maybe... Not that it won't work, just think the club will have to adapt to him a lot more than it did with Oscar who slotted in quite easily.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here