Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team for Charlton?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
With all due respect why on earth would you play JFC? He should be sent to a league one club on loan to find the confidence to do something positive with the ball

You mean like bust a gut to get in the box in the 120th minute, take on the last defender, win a penalty, get the defender sent off, get up and bury his second penalty of the night?

He's still learning, but I thought he played well v Blackburn.

Gareth Southgate and Sami Hyypia seem to rate him, but I'm sure you are better qualified.

PG

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
With all due respect, he's not missed a match yet so clearly you know more than Hyypia!

Don't think anyone is claiming to know more about football than Sami, but I agree that JFC is a weak link in this current line-up. He's not looked confident on the ball for a few months and has the annoying habit of giving the ball away even when he's not under pressure. I sometimes wonder if the pace of Championship football is too much for him. A spell at a lower league club could give him more time on the ball and may polish his distribution skills because in my view, he certainly needs to improve this area.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Don't think anyone is claiming to know more about football than Sami, but I agree that JFC is a weak link in this current line-up. He's not looked confident on the ball for a few months and has the annoying habit of giving the ball away even when he's not under pressure. I sometimes wonder if the pace of Championship football is too much for him. A spell at a lower league club could give him more time on the ball and may polish his distribution skills because in my view, he certainly needs to improve this area.

You're not but I've seen that poster moaning quite a lot recently about the club. It's a sign that we're doing well in the transfer market that people are turning their attacks on players (see the O'Grady thread).

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
You're not but I've seen that poster moaning quite a lot recently about the club. It's a sign that we're doing well in the transfer market that people are turning their attacks on players (see the O'Grady thread).

Fair point. Personally, I'm delighted with the competition for places. It took me 10 minutes to decide on my best team, not due to a dearth of quality players, but because we have choice AND quality. I'm sure there will always be those fans who refer to the 'Burnley model' when we talk about the need for strength in depth and strong squads, but they were quite clearly a one-off. There will be the usual suspensions, injuries and departures so the fact we have the likes of Ince, COG, March, Paddy, Hughes, Toko and Chicksen all waiting in the wings, can only benefit the Albion.

Still think JFC could do with some confidence-building in League 1 though!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Fair point. Personally, I'm delighted with the competition for places. It took me 10 minutes to decide on my best team, not due to a dearth of quality players, but because we have choice AND quality. I'm sure there will always be those fans who refer to the 'Burnley model' when we talk about the need for strength in depth and strong squads, but they were quite clearly a one-off. There will be the usual suspensions, injuries and departures so the fact we have the likes of Ince, COG, March, Paddy, Hughes, Toko and Chicksen all waiting in the wings, can only benefit the Albion.

Still think JFC could do with some confidence-building in League 1 though!

Absolutely. It makes a great change. I might rest JFC on Saturday as he played the full 120 minutes yesterday and has played every game this season but don't think they'll be loaning him out as Sami obviously rates him.

My team for Saturday would be:

Stockdale
Bruno
Greer
Dunk
Bennett
Holla
Gardner
Crofts
Texeira
McCourt
CMS

Subs: Ankergren, Calderon, Hughes, Ince, JFC, Colunga, O'Grady

I'm assuming LuaLua isn't fit and am trying to avoid playing many players who were on for the full 120 minutes yesterday hence Calderon, JFC and Colunga on the bench.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Stockdale

Calderon~Greer~Dunk~Bennett

Crofts~Holla~Caskey

Colunga~Teixera

Mackail-Smith​

Subs: Ankergren, Hughes, Bruno, Lualua, McCourt, O'Grady, Gardener

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
............................ Stockdale ............................

............... Greer .....................Dunk .................

Calderon.....................Holla .....................Bennett

.............. Bruno .......... .........Gardner.................

.............. Texiera ...................Colunga................

................................. CMS ................................

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not a big fan of CMS then?!!!!

He irritates me when he keeps on falling over and claiming foul, his conversion rate is not very good %, he is no good at the near post, and his weak foot is below what is needed for a Championship striker. However, he has got the necessary speed, can pass the ball OK, runs around a lot, not totally bad at heading, so he is OK as a reserve. If he did not fall to the ground at the slightest nudge he would be better.

Looks better this year, goal against Cheltenham was well taken and the shot against Bolton at the southern end could have been a spectacular goal. Not forgetting the cross for Ulloa at Forest. But I give most credit for the run from midfield by Lualua for that goal, so he gets the nod.

The trouble with my chosen side is that there is very little height up front. I think Ince has to play in midfield with three shorties up front.

Sam Baldock is a short arse as well. Shorter than the lot of them. Chris Wood as a mobile centre forward with a bit of pace seems to fit the bill better, although I was never impressed with him.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He irritates me when he keeps on falling over and claiming foul, his conversion rate is not very good %, he is no good at the near post, and his weak foot is below what is needed for a Championship striker. However, he has got the necessary speed, can pass the ball OK, runs around a lot, not totally bad at heading, so he is OK as a reserve. If he did not fall to the ground at the slightest nudge he would be better.

Looks better this year, goal against Cheltenham was well taken and the shot against Bolton at the southern end could have been a spectacular goal. Not forgetting the cross for Ulloa at Forest. But I give most credit for the run from midfield by Lualua for that goal, so he gets the nod.

The trouble with my chosen side is that there is very little height up front. I think Ince has to play in midfield with three shorties up front.
aSam Baldock is a short arse as well. Shorter than the lo t of them. Chris Wood as a mobile centre forward with a bit of pace seems to fit the bill better, although I was never impressed with him.[/ thQUOTE]

I have read, and probably posted some rubbish but that beats most of it.

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven

Stockdale
Bruno - Greer - Dunk - Bennett
Gardner - Holla - Ince
Teixiera - Colunga
CMS

Subs
Walton - Calderon - Hughes - Toko - LuaLua - O'Grady - Baldock

Think that is still a pretty strong line up and thats leaving Ankergren, Chicksen, Maxi, JFC, McCourt, Crofts out of the squad but it will be interesting to see who Sami goes with, a lot of selection problems which is good to see!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Stockdale
Gardner - Holla - Ince
Teixiera - Colunga
CMS

Subs

Think that is still a pretty strong line up and thats leaving Ankergren, Chicksen, Maxi, JFC, McCourt, Crofts out of the squad but it will be interesting to see who Sami goes with, a lot of selection problems which is good to see!

I was just thinking along the same lines - and an interesting selection situation for Sami. Unless a couple are about to be moved on there will be some disappointed players who don't even make the match day squad. Even new-ish boys O'Grady and McCourt might not see much game time and will have to fight to earn a place on the bench. A good test of their attitude.

The reality is that we need depth right across the squad in order to be competitive in the Championship - and it will be up to Sami to keep everyone happy.

That looks like a value for money squad that should punch well for it's weight and without breaking the bank so ticks the FFP boxes too. Ok there are no real marquee signings, although Teixeira looks like a real gem to be savoured while we have him. Maybe Colunga will surprise one or two.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Stockdale
Gardner - Holla - Ince
Teixiera - Colunga
CMS

Subs

This just sums what a pleasant headache Sami now has....competition for the bench let alone the starting lineup

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here