Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you done the ice bucket yet?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Its still a lot better than all those people who ask to be sponsored to skydive, bungee jump, climb Kilimanjaro and the like. They seem most aggrieved when I suggest they pay for their own fun and I give money to charity directly instead.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Did mine earlier today. Did it in last years away strip too. Don't know why people are being so holier than thou about it though. Just get over yourself and have a bit of fun whilst raising awareness and money for charity.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
But isn't that mainly because it's called MND in the UK

That's because we know it as motor neurone disease in the UK. ALS is the american name for it, where it is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

MND is the generic term for Motor Neurone Disease. ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) is actually a subgroup of MND. In some countries however, ALS is the generic term used.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
What annoys me about it is it's supposed to raise awareness for a disease which doesn't receive much attention or funding, ALS/motor neurone disease. However, Macmillan seem to have tried to take over the whole thing. I've even seem adverts for "take the iced bucket challenge for Macmillan" by the charity.

Very much this, the fact a big charity have 'jumped on the wagon' of a smaller charity is quite low.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I'm doing it tomorrow.

Do you get the feeling some people are having nice warm buckets of water chucked over them?

Yes, especially the 'look at me celebrities'. Not a bit of ice in site for some of them.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
MND is the generic term for Motor Neurone Disease. ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) is actually a subgroup of MND. In some countries however, ALS is the generic term used.

Not quite, MND can refer either to ALS or be used to refer to a group of diseases known as the Motor Neurone Diseases

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Did mine yesterday after a 10 mile run so the cold water was a shock but very refreshing! Each to there own, do it and enjoy and have a laugh, dont moan at others doing it! I see that the quiet givers by DD are publicly announcing what great givers they are! What harm do things like this do? Shows how many miserable ****** frequent NSC!

Nearest boozer 5 miles away is it...Hardly time for the tyres to warm up...!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not quite, MND can refer either to ALS or be used to refer to a group of diseases known as the Motor Neurone Diseases

What I mean is ALS is MND but MND isn't necessarily ALS. It could be ALS but it could also be PMA, PBP or PLS.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did mine yesterday after a 10 mile run so the cold water was a shock but very refreshing! Each to there own, do it and enjoy and have a laugh, dont moan at others doing it! I see that the quiet givers by DD are publicly announcing what great givers they are! What harm do things like this do? Shows how many miserable ****** frequent NSC!

Are you marathon training again?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
What annoys me about it is it's supposed to raise awareness for a disease which doesn't receive much attention or funding, ALS/motor neurone disease. However, Macmillan seem to have tried to take over the whole thing. I've even seem adverts for "take the iced bucket challenge for Macmillan" by the charity.

I've been nominated today but will be choosing my own charity to donate to. Is that frowned upon?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I've yet to see one where it was the full 'NFL head coach drenched by large bucket of Gatorade experience.' Most seem to involve the participant being 'splashed' with a half full bucket of water that only partially hits the target.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I've yet to see one where it was the full 'NFL head coach drenched by large bucket of Gatorade experience.' Most seem to involve the participant being 'splashed' with a half full bucket of water that only partially hits the target.

I have seen a video of one on a building site where he gets a jcb bucket of water over him with enough force to break the chair he was sitting on, that was a proper one

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I've been nominated today but will be choosing my own charity to donate to. Is that frowned upon?

The whole idea of the ice is to mimic the symptoms of ALS.

Raise and donate money as you like, of course I wouldn't frown upon you for donating money, but the fact is this is a campaign to raise money and awareness for a disease which is relatively unknown and under-funded. Another charity, for example, Macmillan, is very well known as is the disease it is fighting. By hi-jacking this campaign, it takes away from the initial idea.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mrs Hut just has, she is very cold

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'll be honest, I'm bored to tears with my Facebook timeline being clogged up with these videos, worthy cause though it may be.

That said, Paul Camillin has just challenged Glenn Murray and Prince Charming at Palace to do it, so I might actually watch that.

Parish: "Not the hair! NOT THE HAIR!"

[tweet]504251528472199168[/tweet]

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Got mine tonight... It's all very gimmicky but it is raising awareness and is making the charities cash. I don't every month to four charities but I shall be donating a bit more tonight when I wouldn't have if this challenge didn't exist.

Can I nominate like 10 people? most do three. It is bad form to nominate 10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here