Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excellent transfer policy

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A fair enough comment but can you answer me this, we are second in the stats for shots on goal and the three strikers in your list, who have now played 28 league games between them and scored Nil goals. How does that fit in with the style of play

What you really have to wonder, is what counts in a shot at goal stat these days?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
What you really have to wonder, is what counts in a shot at goal stat these days?

I agree with you, as I think a 3mph daisy cutter that trickles into the goalies arms if he is in the frame of the goal counts. But it counts even though a player doesn't hit it properly, which I think we have experts at.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
A fair enough comment but can you answer me this, we are second in the stats for shots on goal and the three strikers in your list, who have now played 28 league games between them and scored Nil goals. How does that fit in with the style of play

Difficult to comment too much on the stats for shots on goal because it depends who's doing the shooting, In regards of strikers not scoring goals all strikers go through lean spells but when it's happening to all of your strikers at the same time that's not down to bad luck, that's down to poor management and tactics that are obviously not suited to the type of strikers we have.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Could it not be a little late to judge at the end of the season?

Well thats when you judge the success of a season. If you'd concluded how we were doing before Game 46 of last season and Game 48 of the season before then it would have been premature. In 2011/12 we were in the top 6 with 10 games to go...

Concluding now that this is a poor run and that things need to change is not the same as concluding that all our signings in the summer were a failure. (even if some of them might have been)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The fact is we have too many lightweight players who are constantly being muscled off the ball. Tex is like a little boy lost just waiting for the next clatter to come in before he eventually limps off with his tail between his legs. Colunga is too small and is always eased off the ball. Likewise Bennett and JFC who both struggle with the physical side of the game.
Crofts is out for the season, so we've lost that element of aggression. Ince is being used sparingly and Toko and Agustien who could provide that muscle are both out in the cold.
Teams now realise that they can ' out muscle ' us very easily and apart from Greer and Dunk at the back and COG in a rather crude way upfront, we have no presence.
Its just pretty, ineffectual, lightweight football going nowhere. No drive, no power, no end product.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Well thats when you judge the success of a season. If you'd concluded how we were doing before Game 46 of last season and Game 48 of the season before then it would have been premature. In 2011/12 we were in the top 6 with 10 games to go...

Concluding now that this is a poor run and that things need to change is not the same as concluding that all our signings in the summer were a failure. (even if some of them might have been)

Yes but if you read this thread, lots of posters were all creaming themselves about what a great transfer window it was and how we have improved the squad and at least the play off's could be expected. Now we can only wait till the end of the season for them to be proved wrong. OK I will wait.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes but if you read this thread, lots of posters were all creaming themselves about what a great transfer window it was and how we have improved the squad and at least the play off's could be expected. Now we can only wait till the end of the season for them to be proved wrong. OK I will wait.

Yep. I've read the thread. Also fair to point out that there's a difference between recruiting a competitive squad (on paper it looks like it) and then tactics, team, coaching and perhaps luck...

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
You, I'd imagine, with your constant stream of bullshit.

For what it's worth, I don't think the players we have are the problem. The squad is good enough to challenge for the play-offs, but the man in charge, who I wasn't convinced about when he was appointed, isn't getting the best out of them.

Still can't admit you're wrong, not man enough ? I admitted I was wrong about Oscar so instead of making a bigger fool of yourself just admit you were wrong like many others and I was right

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Toko and Agustien who could provide that muscle are both out in the cold.

We have a first team squad of 23/24 players. We can only ever pick 18 in the match day squad. There will always be players who don't make the squad. Both Toko and Agustien have been on the bench in recent weeks and Toko is continuing to get game time in the DS. Agustien featured prominently in our best display of the season and probably his since joining the club (against Leeds) before getting injured. Not sure they are out "in the cold", just currently squad players.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Still can't admit you're wrong, not man enough ? I admitted I was wrong about Oscar so instead of making a bigger fool of yourself just admit you were wrong like many others and I was right

I am always happy to admit I was wrong, when I was wrong. How can you say, categorically, that the Summer transfer window was a disaster in October? You can't. Well, you personally probably can, but you're full of shit. A normal, intelligent, fully functioning human can't.

When exactly did you admit you were wrong about Oscar? I must have missed that.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I am always happy to admit I was wrong, when I was wrong. How can you say, categorically, that the Summer transfer window was a disaster in October? You can't. Well, you personally probably can, but you're full of shit. A normal, intelligent, fully functioning human can't.

When exactly did you admit you were wrong about Oscar? I must have missed that.

Keep on licking, you're just making a bigger idiot out of yourself. Our esteemed chairman said to judge him at the end of the transfer window and said he expected a top 6 finish which I pointed out yesterday after our pathetic start is near on impossible now so if that is not a disaster what is ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Keep on licking, you're just making a bigger idiot out of yourself. Our esteemed chairman said to judge him at the end of the transfer window and said he expected a top 6 finish which I pointed out yesterday after our pathetic start is near on impossible now so if that is not a disaster what is ?

'Now near impossible'. 10 points off the play-offs with 96 to play for. This is why you are stupid, with the constant stream of drivel you come out with. 10 points off the play-offs in April is near on impossible to make up, not in October.

The disaster appears to be the hiring of a manager who has no idea how to get the best out of a decent group of players. But as usual, you're too thick to see the bigger picture.

Fortunately, I don't think he'll be around much longer, and then I expect us to get someone in who can, and watch our fortunes turn around drastically. If they don't, then I will happily say I got it wrong. But I'll say it again, the players aren't the problem.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
'Now near impossible'. 10 points off the play-offs with 96 to play for. This is why you are stupid, with the constant stream of drivel you come out with. 10 points off the play-offs in April is near on impossible to make up, not in October.

The disaster appears to be the hiring of a manager who has no idea how to get the best out of a decent group of players. But as usual, you're too thick to see the bigger picture.

Fortunately, I don't think he'll be around much longer, and then I expect us to get someone in who can, and watch our fortunes turn around drastically. If they don't, then I will happily say I got it wrong. But I'll say it again, the players aren't the problem.

So you are very happy to back Bloom and Barber because you think they brought in good players, but not prepared to back them over the manager they employed and give him the same period of time to prove himself?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Keep denying the truth, you'll be saying the earth is flat next

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
You have to hand it to Bloom and Burke. They have had an incredible transfer window.

Assuming (yes I know) that Colunga is good then we have pocketed a good deal of money Buckley and Ulloa, let go some of the dead wood, and replaced them with what so far look very good signings that arguably make our squad stronger, despite being free, than at the end of the last season.

At the same time Hyypia appears to have turned us into a much more attacking team that is already more attractive than the turgid shit that Oscar kept forcing upon us.

I still think there may be a signing or two to come but even if there isn't we are now competitive. Any more and we are seriously challenging.

Is it April 1st?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Stockdale - A terrible start, but had a good game Saturday. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come. But at the moment, I'd have to say, BAD signing.
Bennett - Looks lively, good going forward and fits in to Sami's system (although I do not like it). GOOD signing.
Hughes - Not really seen much of him, but a decent back up player. OKAY signing.
Toko - Not played, clear that SH does not rate him. Waste of wages so have to say BAD signing.
Holla - Fits in well. Good in a challenge and a excellent passer. Form has dropped in last few matches, but GOOD signing.
Gardner - Had one good game where he looked brilliant, but below par in most. Too many half hearted long shots. BAD signing.
Texiera - Flashes of brilliance. Showed why he is a big prospect, then let his form slip. Looks like he has been Brightonized. GOOD signing.
McCourt - Fans favourite. Creative spark, why he is not starting is beyond me!? GOOD signing.
Colunga - Shown a few moments where he has looked good, but been mostly poor. I feel he is another victim of SH's system. BAD signing.
O'Grady - Non-existent first touch. Only started getting into the team after story about him being for sale surfaced. Almost like SH trying to prove it was just a rumour. BAD signing.
Baldock - Think we was all disappointed with him being our new number 9, after so much talk of an over seas player. Yet to score, But gave a good performance Saturday. Possibly a victim of a poor system. BAD signing.

My views so far, could all change. A new manager may well get better results out of these players.

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
Ow come on, man up and eat some humble pie. You and Giraffe got it spectacularly wrong so let Ernest and others tease you. Christ knows you give it enough in the other direction! Pride before a fall and all that...?!!

Agree 100% - Commander seems to have a very high opinion of himself and is never wrong it seems, funny old game.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So you are very happy to back Bloom and Barber because you think they brought in good players, but not prepared to back them over the manager they employed and give him the same period of time to prove himself?

I'm not completely in the Sami OUT camp yet, but I think I'm about two games away. I'm all for giving people time, but there don't seem to be any signs of improvement, if anything we're going backwards. The players don't seem to know what they're meant to be doing.

Keep denying the truth, you'll be saying the earth is flat next

And what is the truth, Ernest? Tell us.

Agree 100% - Commander seems to have a very high opinion of himself and is never wrong it seems, funny old game.

That's not true at all, I am wrong all the time. Wrong about CMS (turns out he's nowhere near good enough), wrong about Rodriguez (thought he looked quality the first couple of games), wrong about Oscar being with us for the long haul. Wrong about Harley- I thought he'd come good. I'll happily admit when I'm wrong, but you can't judge the players who signed in the Summer in October! Especially when they are playing under a manager who seems incapable of playing to their strengths. How can you judge a striker who has made a career out of scoring goals in La Liga, when you play him out of position on the wing?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The fact is we have too many lightweight players who are constantly being muscled off the ball. Tex is like a little boy lost just waiting for the next clatter to come in before he eventually limps off with his tail between his legs. Colunga is too small and is always eased off the ball. Likewise Bennett and JFC who both struggle with the physical side of the game.
Crofts is out for the season, so we've lost that element of aggression. Ince is being used sparingly and Toko and Agustien who could provide that muscle are both out in the cold.
Teams now realise that they can ' out muscle ' us very easily and apart from Greer and Dunk at the back and COG in a rather crude way upfront, we have no presence.
Its just pretty, ineffectual, lightweight football going nowhere. No drive, no power, no end product.

Bang on! If we were playing 1 or 2 of our technical but small players they would probably shine with others around them to protect them but when we put out 5/6/7 small players they have no chance and end up all looking poor.

Many seem to think there is 1 issue that is causing our pain at the moment I dont think the world works like this it is a number of contributing factors and these all cascade to cause the bigger problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here