Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excellent transfer policy

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Wouldn't disagree, but don't rate the loans and that includes Bennett (who can't defend), Texeirra (who is too light) and Gardner who is just abysmal.

In the right system they'd be fine, or at least the first two anyway. There's no such thing as 'too light', if you're good enough, you're good enough.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
In the right system they'd be fine, or at least the first two anyway. There's no such thing as 'too light', if you're good enough, you're good enough.

Not sure I agree at Championship level.

Just an opinion I know...
But Bennett defensively is lacking, at least 3 goals have been down to him. Maybe the best we can get though, good going forward....? Left midfielder.

Tex - very pretty on the ball, but the better teams in the championship, have more physical athletic players. He's only young I know, but his decision making is not the best. Impact sub for me.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You, I'd imagine, with your constant stream of bullshit.

For what it's worth, I don't think the players we have are the problem. The squad is good enough to challenge for the play-offs, but the man in charge, who I wasn't convinced about when he was appointed, isn't getting the best out of them.

Ow come on, man up and eat some humble pie. You and Giraffe got it spectacularly wrong so let Ernest and others tease you. Christ knows you give it enough in the other direction! Pride before a fall and all that...?!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You, I'd imagine, with your constant stream of bullshit.

For what it's worth, I don't think the players we have are the problem. The squad is good enough to challenge for the play-offs, but the man in charge, who I wasn't convinced about when he was appointed, isn't getting the best out of them.

Wouldn't disagree, but don't rate the loans and that includes Bennett (who can't defend), Texeirra (who is too light) and Gardner who is just abysmal.

I don't see Bennett as a problem as he fits the system Sami wants to play. The issues are why did we not ship out Toko and Augustien when it's clear Sami doesn't rate them (surely even a League 1 club covering half their wages would ease our financial worries), why did we not get in a right wing back similar to Bennett and leave Calde as cover and maybe learning the training ropes, why did we waste so much money on COG who must be the worst striker I've seen in this division (500k, what a joke) and signing the aforementioned Gardner who just can't be bothered. Even the most ardent of defenders of our recruitment system should see that as an awful waste of money and that's before we've addressed the fact that Baldock and Colunga are basically the same player and neither fit the system that we KNEW by the time we got them in we would be using.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

I think that is a little bit of wishful thinking on your part and that comment could be made to look a bit silly if they sack Sami and these players continue to fail under a new manager. But their are many in this thread who have been made to look silly.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
At the time, many of these players looked like good signings. Sami looked like a good appointment. That wasn't based on **** all. It was based on actual, real world evidence. People were right to be optimistic based on the facts. Turns out, it hasn't worked out. That's football.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Just shows how much blind faith we have in our club. What a turnip I am!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We're getting equal or better (compared to other Championship teams) quality, for a fraction of the price. With the sales on an inflated high within England, we're taking advantage of that too. Ulloa for 8M is a fantastic price, for example.

At the time, many of these players looked like good signings. Sami looked like a good appointment. That wasn't based on **** all. It was based on actual, real world evidence. People were right to be optimistic based on the facts. Turns out, it hasn't worked out. That's football.

Hmmmm...not sure the facts are your best defence in this instance. Someone else will provide the ammunition, I'm just pointing out the target here!

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

I had my blind faith knocked out of me when I believed Archer who said we would have a state of the art stadium in Brighton within two years. It takes a lot for me to believe business men, ex politicians and PR experts who run football clubs these days.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ow come on, man up and eat some humble pie. You and Giraffe got it spectacularly wrong so let Ernest and others tease you. Christ knows you give it enough in the other direction! Pride before a fall and all that...?!!

What?? We are in October, how can you say that the Summer transfer dealings were definitely terrible? Judge them at the end of the season, that's what I've always said, same as I've always said give the manager time, as long as we are showing signs of improving. Which we aren't. I don't think the players are the problem. Nobody was saying Tex was too light when he was banging the goals in.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
What?? We are in October, how can you say that the Summer transfer dealings were definitely terrible? Judge them at the end of the season, that's what I've always said, same as I've always said give the manager time, as long as we are showing signs of improving. Which we aren't. I don't think the players are the problem. Nobody was saying Tex was too light when he was banging the goals in.

Wow its the end of the season now, not the end of the window or September like Barber and Bloom anymore.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Despite our current position I really don't think the majority of our summer signings are as bad as they are being made to look at the moment and that has to come down to the person who is managing them, I can't comment on Toko because I hav'nt seen him and I don't particularly rate COG but in my opinion Stockdale, Hughes, Bennett, Holla, Gardener, McCourt, Tex, Colunga and Baldock are all good players who are being made to look very ordinary in the current set up. In fairness as much as I don't rate COG I think even he's got more to offer than he's shown so far.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Er, Ok...!

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Wow its the end of the season now, not the end of the window or September like Barber and Bloom anymore.

Judge the recruitment team at the end of the period they can recruit to. Judge the playing team at the end of the period they can play to. Is that really too hard to understand?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It turns out it hasn't worked out because most of us believed we were putting structures in place within the club where an incoming manager would be hired on the fact he plays similar or identical football to the outgoing one so that our recruitment can remain consistent even if the manager changes (re: Southampton or Swansea).

What we've ended up with is a manager who has bought anew system to the club that is completely alien to everything the squad has been working on for the last 4 years - and it really shows.

The manager hasn't just failed to get the best out of new signings, he's also draining the confidence of existing players like Greer who is having to relearn his role. It's crap. It's just so blindingly obvious it is painful.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Not at all. I still trust Bloom and Barber, nobody really knows exactly what Burke does unless they have inside dealings with the club, so I don't see how anyone can comment. I'm really not convinced about Sami though, and I've always been one to give the manager time.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Despite our current position I really don't think the majority of our summer signings are as bad as they are being made to look at the moment and that has to come down to the person who is managing them, I can't comment on Toko because I hav'nt seen him and I don't particularly rate COG but in my opinion Stockdale, Hughes, Bennett, Holla, Gardener, McCourt, Tex, Colunga and Baldock are all good players who are being made to look very ordinary in the current set up. In fairness as much as I don't rate COG I think even he's got more to offer than he's shown so far.

A fair enough comment but can you answer me this, we are second in the stats for shots on goal and the three strikers in your list, who have now played 28 league games between them and scored Nil goals. How does that fit in with the style of play

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Judge the recruitment team at the end of the period they can recruit to. Judge the playing team at the end of the period they can play to. Is that really too hard to understand?

As I've said above - not sure I can judge the players as I have no confidence or belief in the system they're being asked to play (I don't think many of them do either).

I think we've recruited with a mind on how we've played football for the last 3 or 4 years, and we've ended up with a manager not using the players in the same way. Something has gone wrong in the interview process, which should have been…"how do you like to play your football?"…."I like to use full backs for width, play holding midfielders……" "stop stop, thank you Mr Hyypia, we'll be in touch, next."...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here