Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inigo Calderon tweeting about the thoroughly deserved standing ovation

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Unavoidably not there today but would have loved to have seen this ovation, sounds like quite a moment.

We can squabble all we like on here on different stuff but no-one could ever dissent from Calde being an absolute god amongst men. This thread's a cracking read btw.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What was the game, towards the end of last season, were Calde came on as a sub.

Bruno was already and stayed right back.
So I assumed Calde would play just in front.

Calde runs onto the pitch, muscles Ulloa out of the way, and played the remaining 15 minutes as centre forward.

Truly bizarre, and very very Calde.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What was the game, towards the end of last season, were Calde came on as a sub.

Bruno was already and stayed right back.
So I assumed Calde would play just in front.

Calde runs onto the pitch, muscles Ulloa out of the way, and played the remaining 15 minutes as centre forward.

Truly bizarre, and very very Calde.

Charlton, at home?

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
calde is a gent. he is articulate in a language that is not his mother tongue. he is humble and exudes empathy and commitment to improving the lives of others. I was unaware until recently that he was a teacher - which maybe explains his passion for community work and his innate ability to easily hold court and motivate / public speak to inspire others. HE is what a footballer should be; using privilege to its maximum - not for self-gain, but in thinking about others.
he may stay in later years, he may move on, but.. he will not be forgotten and the club need to recognise the fan voice on this matter and do something appropriate when the time comes. bloody love you!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Standing ovation....waving to the crowd....wiping away a tear.....then a tweet......really hope I'm wrong but that sounds almost like a farewell.

IF SH has decided he hasn't got the legs any more to play the role Sami wants, and is no longer going to play at all (third choice fullback behind the Irish lad and Bruno) -
IF SH is happy with NJ as assistant (or has someone already lined up) -
IF there isn't a coaching role available (or if there is, but Calde wants to keep on playing for another year or two) -

All those would make sense for him to be shipped out this week - please let me be wrong on this one!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Standing ovation....waving to the crowd....wiping away a tear.....then a tweet......really hope I'm wrong but that sounds almost like a farewell.

IF SH has decided he hasn't got the legs any more to play the role Sami wants, and is no longer going to play at all (third choice fullback behind the Irish lad and Bruno) -
IF there isn't a coaching role available (or if there is, but Calde wants to keep on playing for another year or two) -

All those would make sense for him to be shipped out this week - please let me be wrong on this one!
Don't say things like that!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
How appropriate this thread is. We were talking about Calde on our way home, not particularly about the ovation, which was fantastic to hear.

We were saying what an absolute smashing servant he has been to the club and all sincerely hope he is kept in some capacity when hanging up boots tlme eventually arrives.

We all love him.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

I think you are reading too much into his substitution! But even if he is relegated to third choice if the Irish lad signs I think he will still be at the club in some capacity.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'm sure he will be involved in our Youth development/Academy in the years to come. Obviously he will make a great first team coach one day, but maybe he could take charge of our development squad or something, I really like the idea of him working with/inspiring our younger players, I think that role would fit him perfectly when the time comes to hang up his boots.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Where this idea falls down is at the very beginning. The standing ovation was a completely spontaneous reaction from the crowd and I doubt one person did it because they thought he was off. It was VERY loud and it was clear that he was touched. You are reading too much into it...I hope.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Over the years I have spoken to many Albion players... from Bobby Smith,Barry Rees and many others and continue to do so in the 1901.
The real gentleman is Calde....all round nice guy and a good egg!...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TB's respect for Calde has been alluded to on here many time, I wonder what he was doing and thinking.

Clearly no player or person is bigger than the club, but that was a pretty special and spontaneous.

We see it at the end of every season somewhere, a false 'moment to savour'.
I don't think I've ever seen a genuine one before.

Calde must be thinking 'what do they know that I don't' :lol:
If we now bought him a trip to Disneyland he'd be down the doctors like a shot.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The day Calde leaves the club is a day when a little bit of me dies inside and I lose a bit of the club I love.

Amem to that.

It could have been a lot different. When Southampton courted him, Gus proclaimed that he was gone, bile thrown in his direction and the eventual modern day prodigal son parable.

Whether he does eventually leave or not, he joins an elite bunch of Albion legends.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I do agree that perhaps his best days are now behind him. That said, his commitment to the club and the area will merit a standing ovation eternal. I love the man, and I hope the club show some sentiment and consider a future role for him sooner rather than later.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here