Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber Program Notes Today

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
:lolol:

I realise this was said in sarcasm, but it genuinely made me laugh, well done!

The age of the internet, even when people love the same thing, they love one thing more above anything else - hating and arguing with anyone who doesn't agree with them. What a time to be alive :thumbsup:

Mind you, NSC is a bible study compared to the social excrementalism that infects The Argus comments board.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That said, there is plenty of time for us to make more signings and should this not happen then the same people defending our transfer "policy" this window have no right to complain about the performances of said "like for like" signings in my opinion.
I don't agree, because having a good transfer policy does not guarantee that you will get stronger every year. Losing a player or two to PL clubs can be unavoidable and there's no guarantee we'll sign who we want, because some of our competitors are in a higher division and/or have more money to spend.

1901Phil

Feb 1, 2012
Tunbridge Wells
What nonsense.
Nice one PB

The old 'divide and rule' method

'Hysterical outpourings on social media' v. 'calm and supportive e-mails from fans'

Pitting fan against fan

The thing is Paul, we've been through the mill supporting BHA for years, and you can't pull the wool over our eyes...
What utter nonsense, the true fans are those who are grateful that Tony has put so much of his money in giving us a great stadium and academy and a team who have reached the play offs for the last two years.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Who knows whether we'll land a striker that's a worthy replacement to Ulloa but it's pretty obvious that, if not, it won't be for want of trying. You can't stop a player of his calibre taking a chance to move to the PL & the guys who've come in so far all look like they have a role to play with Teixeira & Holla very impressive. The trouble with getting a good forward is that the market is crazily over-inflated at the moment (McCormack £11m, Rhodes possible £12m, even Leo at £8m). So it's not going to be easy.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Who knows whether we'll land a striker that's a worthy replacement to Ulloa but it's pretty obvious that, if not, it won't be for want of trying. You can't stop a player of his calibre taking a chance to move to the PL & the guys who've come in so far all look like they have a role to play with Teixeira & Holla very impressive. The trouble with getting a good forward is that the market is crazily over-inflated at the moment (McCormack £11m, Rhodes possible £12m, even Leo at £8m). So it's not going to be easy.

Really, some people know we have £10M in the bank therefore it should be spunked all in one go

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
This is such an amusing thread.

A week ago, everyone was slagging the clubs transfer dealings and questioning Bloom Barber & Burke.

Now we have one person saying this and he's getting flamed.

If we lose at home next weekend will the pendulum swing the other way again?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is such an amusing thread.

A week ago, everyone was slagging the clubs transfer dealings and questioning Bloom Barber & Burke.

Now we have one person saying this and he's getting flamed.

If we lose at home next weekend will the pendulum swing the other way again?

Everyone ?

Care to show some evidence it really was everyone ?

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Intelligent programme notes from an intelligent man who, as a trusted aide of the Chairman, clearly has the best interests of the club at heart. The booing at half time was embarrassing.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Really, some people know we have £10M in the bank therefore it should be spunked all in one go

Same people think it should've been spunked mid July on the over inflated transfer fee and wages of an average player rather than waiting until someone decent is available for the same cost.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Even if you want to be overly pedantic about it by picking up on one word, you cannot ignore the fact that the overall feeling was one of negativity towards the clubs transfer dealings.

I think it was a very small minority who just posted the same crap all the time.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I respect your posts normally but have no idea what you're getting at with this analogy. Holla was available all pre-season and could have been signed and training with the squad throughout pre-season if we moved quicker. Surely that is preferable to putting him straight into the squad on a few days notice? Ditto Tex.

Either we knew about these players already and deliberately waited until the last minute to buy them (a tactic normally reserved for lowering transfer fees, which is not applicable on a freebie and a loan) OR we were made aware of the players then immediately snapped them up, opening more questions about the scouting network, due diligence in assessing the players prior to signing them, etc...

Either way, it's extremely hard to understand our "policy" this transfer window!

Great example of over-simplifing how transfers work.

Have you even considered that we may have tried earlier but it might be the players who decided to delay signing and instead choose to wait and see what other offers came along before deciding where to play? or do you really think the moment we make an offer to sign a player they immediately put pen to paper because we are Brighton & Hove Albion and have a nice stadium?

Kuszczak is still without a club, do you think that when he eventually signs for someone else that it will be his first offer recieved? or do you think he is hoping to get a better club by waiting?

There are plenty of potential qualitiy signings out there who still need a club, do you think that they too haven't recieved an offer yet and would sign for the first club to show an interest.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
which is a good thing, relieves preassure on the strike force! gives the team another dimension.

I'd also argue that three of our four league goals have come from midfield players.

Even if you want to be overly pedantic about it by picking up on one word, you cannot ignore the fact that the overall feeling was one of negativity towards the clubs transfer dealings.

Absolute nonsense - there is a minority of people on here who think if they shout the loudest and talk crap the rest of us will somehow agree with their ignorant and I'll informed rants. I can assure you that I, for one, didn't and I am sure that goes for many others.

D

Deleted member 22389

You know there a lot of people that still seem to think the club has an endless pot of money. All they see is a new stadium, new training ground, 20,000 season ticket holders, roughly work out how much money that is and immediately think this can all go on players transfer fees. They don't take in to account the running of the stadium, the staff costs, the players wages and how the club has to keep in line with FFP on top of this. Honestly does my head in. It's basic accounting.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You know there a lot of people that still seem to think the club has an endless pot of money. All they see is a new stadium, new training ground, 20,000 season ticket holders, roughly work out how much money that is and immediately think this can all go on players transfer fees. They don't take in to account the running of the stadium, the staff costs, the players wages and how the club has to keep in line with FFP on top of this. Honestly does my head in. It's basic accounting.

I'm not sure about any of that. Some (not me by the way) have been frustrated by the seemingly "sluggish" approach that we've taken but I've not seen anything that backs up your statement. But it's a good way of picking up on the general sentiment of the thread and knowing you're on safe ground

Really don't get the "have a go at other supporters stuff" without having anything objective

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So i think what you're saying is that if we invest in 2 quality attacking players before the window closes we will have a competitive squad.

As for attacking players then Paul Barber's notes in the programmes this week. "there's still some work for us to do before the window closes", we've sold Ashley Barnes, Ulloa and released Will Hoskins since January and only bought in Chris O Grady then er, it must be strikers left to fill.
Every other area (defence/GK, midfield) now looks filled so ...

Now does that mean we will make the top 6 ? I've no idea. Its a tough league, Sami is in his first season, luck might not go our way, injuries etc etc.
But whats left to argue about ?

We're going to make 2 big attacking signings in the next few days or so. Why wouldn't you think we wouldn't ?

We've signed 8 other players this window. 2 more to go...

Hope you're right about the "going to sign" two attacking players, but in am one who trusts that the club is working well in a difficult field.

But given the number of times people were complaining in recent times about how few shots we had on target in some matches, yesterday surely must have been a tonic. As my brother said, with a little bit of exaggeration, we had more goalmouth action in the first half than in the whole of last season.

We will come up against better teams, but we will get more striking options in, and we have players capable of scoring goals. I know it won't last, but Teixeira (sp?) is on for 40 in a season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What the Barber lickers don't realise is that if we had spent a huge sum on a striker as Fulham did with McCormack, we, like them, would now be top of the league and all the fans would be behind the management and team.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Good stuff: whilst he's often criticised here, this time he's been clear. My only criticism is that instead of waiting until now he might have said some or all of this earlier, when everyone was stunned with the outward movement of top players, especially Ulloa. He must be beginning to dread the close season when it comes round each year. Oh, and well done with the ice bucket!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here