Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sciatica

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No painkillers seem to help and I've tried most. Most sleep I've had is 2 hours a night for the last week. Still I'll try manning up.

I got mine because I used to run quite a bit and was never careful enough about stretching afterwards, so the muscles up the back of my right leg became too tight and actually pulled the hip joint out of position and trapped the nerve.

Once you have got through this, you should presumably be able to avoid it happening again with the right advice.

I am aware that Ibuprofen needs to be taken with food, as mentioned above, but I found prolonged taking of it also gives me mouth ulcers. I haven't needed it for a long time, though.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There is a book called treat your own back (i think by Robin McKenzie) it describes the mechanics of the condition and some exercises. Its not a replacement for medical advise but I found it useful. As others have said, a Physio is a good idea if you can afford it (i'm not a fan of Chiropractors etc). and if you are really suffering go see a doctor, they can prescribe stronger pain killers.
Like another poster on here I ended up with an operation but i know from others that exercise and strengthening your core is also a good solution.
Best of luck, i know it hurts like a b@5tard

I was always rude about people being off work with a bad back....... until I experienced it myself!

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
Pretty much this. I went down the fitness route of running, core muscle training and weights, plus a lot of stretching at the end of the session.

There is no quick fix, I'm afraid you just have to put the effort in. However this does of course have significant other benefits as well as controlling the sciatica.

Same for me but lots of swimming as well. 40-50 lengths 3 times a week got rid of it. I use to have it really bad.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What medication or exercise helps dull the pain? Any experiences?
As a fellow sufferer I can only wish you well....and thank you to everyone else for the tips. I'm off out for a yoga book and a big box of ibuprofen!

May 27, 2014
What medication or exercise helps dull the pain? Any experiences?

Yeah - ten years ago I had a slipped disc and murderous sciatica. Gavin Hastings, rugby player, co-wrote a book on it which states on the cover - 'if you want to manage your back pain - take pain killers - if you want to get rid of it follow the exercises in this book'. It lived up to it's promise. Within a few weeks I was moving and living normally again rather than lying on the floor sobbing with pain. I can't remember the exact title of the book but I'm sure a bit delving on the 'net will reveal it.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Amusing that not many people want to help dougdeep.

Well deserved - one too many glib one line dullard responses to other people's threads I should imagine.

P.S. Man up you boring prick.

Always believed in the saying "takes one to know one". Is it ever well deserved to have a go at someone looking for help on here? Er no, not if you have a brain d'oh!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Amusing that not many people want to help dougdeep.

Well deserved - one too many glib one line dullard responses to other people's threads I should imagine.

P.S. Man up you boring prick.

Pot, kettle, black. We're you bullied as a child?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
[/B]

Always believed in the saying "takes one to know one". Is it ever well deserved to have a go at someone looking for help on here? Er no, not if you have a brain d'oh!
I don't offer boring glib one liners indiscriminately. dougdeep does though, so it's hardly surprising he gets so many people treating his request for help with disdain.

Pot, kettle, black. We're you bullied as a child?
Not really. Nearly every one of your posts is about the same length as that, and usually vaguely unpleasant. I'm not arguing I don't do the same from time to time, just that you do it ALL the time, so it's pretty galling seeing you request help when you're such a nob.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I don't offer boring glib one liners indiscriminately. dougdeep does though, so it's hardly surprising he gets so many people treating his request for help with disdain.

How much disdain do you see?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Having had sciatica so badly at one point many years ago that I was woken up by the pain in the middle of the night when the painkillers wore off, and where I found myself lying in bed plucking up to courage to turn over because I knew how much it would hurt, and where it took me about 20 minutes to get out of bed and go to the loo (about 5 yards), I can't help feeling this is an inadequate response.

PS - although he might be a right feeble individual with a bit of a twinge........

My sympathy as I suffered very similar. Took me 2 years to get an xray done and eventually paid myself. Had a slipped disc and had to have keyhole surgery.

Never felt so fit since. So good luck!!!

Bucharest49

May 12, 2014
I've just had it also bad I ended up in hospital the g p there put me on CO-CODAMAL and diazepam,, which eloped good also I am on diclofenac each day now ,exec rises also ,I stil have it slightly takes time and it will clear up nasty it is ,

Hope it goes soon for u

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
I would recommend Peter Butcher in Bexhill, he is a Physiotherapist of the highest quality despite his disability of being blind. I had to go last year and only £32 per treatment. He said one session should suffice with the additional exercises he gave me, although I did take the option of a second session. Well worth every penny!!!!

Oh! forgot to mention his other disability, he is a Southampton supporter.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
As mentioned by at least one other poster, "manning up " simply isn't an option. Mine was caused by a prolapsed disc trapping the sciatic nerve. Absolute agony. 6 weeks without being able to do much except having an MRI scan to confirm my chiropractors fears. She felt that her best efforts would not benefit my particular condition and as many as 2% of people may only be cured by surgery.I went on a ( 9 month ) waiting list for a laser discechtomy , a keyhole process whereby a laser is used to burn away the offending piece of disc. It's slightly risky but far less so than " opening you up ". Whilst awaiting the procedure a friend offered me the use of his Inversion table. A clever device allowing you to ,under your own control. basically suspend yourself upside down. Google them and read some reviews. The thinking behind it is that as human beings and evolved from apes we are actually not designed to walk on our "hind" legs but on all fours. Standing upright for long periods of time, often with a poor posture, compresses the discs in our spines which can then trap the nerve in 3 places in the lower back.The inversion table, by suspending you upside down, uses your body weight as traction to gently stretch the spine out again, relieving the pressure on the discs. It worked eventually for me to the point where I could cancel the surgical procedure. I have since bought a table myself which, when I get the inevitable back twinge ( I work as a car mechanic ) I use it to sort myself out. PM me if you want to know more and the best of luck.
Simster, I'm very disappointed with your reply whatever your beef with the poster, I really hope sciatica never strikes you! A little compassion reqd. IMHO

May 27, 2014
As mentioned by at least one other poster, "manning up " simply isn't an option. Mine was caused by a prolapsed disc trapping the sciatic nerve. Absolute agony. 6 weeks without being able to do much except having an MRI scan to confirm my chiropractors fears. She felt that her best efforts would not benefit my particular condition and as many as 2% of people may only be cured by surgery.I went on a ( 9 month ) waiting list for a laser discechtomy , a keyhole process whereby a laser is used to burn away the offending piece of disc. It's slightly risky but far less so than " opening you up ". Whilst awaiting the procedure a friend offered me the use of his Inversion table. A clever device allowing you to ,under your own control. basically suspend yourself upside down. Google them and read some reviews. The thinking behind it is that as human beings and evolved from apes we are actually not designed to walk on our "hind" legs but on all fours. Standing upright for long periods of time, often with a poor posture, compresses the discs in our spines which can then trap the nerve in 3 places in the lower back.The inversion table, by suspending you upside down, uses your body weight as traction to gently stretch the spine out again, relieving the pressure on the discs. It worked eventually for me to the point where I could cancel the surgical procedure. I have since bought a table myself which, when I get the inevitable back twinge ( I work as a car mechanic ) I use it to sort myself out. PM me if you want to know more and the best of luck.
Simster, I'm very disappointed with your reply whatever your beef with the poster, I really hope sciatica never strikes you! A little compassion reqd. IMHO

Asolutely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here