Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst state you've been in due to substance abuse

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
So taking drugs and giving in to the fact your kids will take drugs is normal. Glad my dad wasn't like you.

It is more about being honest and open with your children. Give them the benefit of your experience and knowledge, lay the facts in front of them, and let them make their own decisions in life, and be there for them regardless of what happens.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
This thread made me think of this. Bloke working as an elf for a charity at Christmas did 3 days off his nut on Coke, acid and ketamine in that order and filmed the results. The ket one is particularly good.

[video]http://sabotagetimes.com/funny/happens-youre-tits-work/[/video]

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I've concluded that the best thing I can do as a parent is ensure that my child is honest with me. If my kids want to try drugs, there really is very little I can do about that - but I'd rather they were able to tell me they had done so.

As for Uncle C, all his posts are exactly the same - angry, sanctimonious, tedious and dull. This subject matter was always going to attract him like a fly around shìt. Why he couldn't just f*ck off and leave us normal people to enjoy it, I really don't know.

Agree entirely - but with a caveat that you let them know you will always be there for them, whatever they do. I have two daughters - 32 and 30 - who have both grown up in to happy and sensible people, partly perhaps because we allowed them freedom, showed them we trusted them, let them know what we thought about various things without getting too heavy about it, and listened to them.

Had we laid down the law, I would have half expected them to rebel. I think either or both of them would read the tales on here and think "What a load of to55ers", but each to his own.

I never did anything illegal when I was at University, nearly 40 years ago, but that was my choice. In my first year I was put off by the experience of one of my group of friends having a bad trip two days after one of his friends was killed in a motorcycle accident. All Phil was seeing was his friend's head floating round the room wearing a crash helmet. I will never forget the look of sheer terror on his face.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Yep, that place was my Friday pub for a couple of years in the 90's. I had to knock it on the head, even just a normal night on a few ales would turn into chaos by 10 pm. You ever drink in the Desert Rat? Odd place!

I think the castle is a cocktail bar now! Reigate has always been a nice town but its even more gentrified these days.

Yeah the desert rat was an ocasional drinking hole for me, up until very recently I still saw Jim D and his son until very recently..

Reigate is a funny place these days, arguably one of the nicest towns you could choose to live in but kind of died as a place for pubs and nightlife. It used to attract people from all over and have a real buzz, when I moved away in the early 00's the night life was on its knees and now I understand its more of a bar and restaurant vibe.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
So taking drugs and giving in to the fact your kids will take drugs is normal. Glad my dad wasn't like you.

Normal is unquantifiable. What's 'normal' for you is most likely (or definitely) not 'normal' for me.

Maybe a better way to approach it would be to say that for large swathes of the English youth taking drugs is, more or less, a given, just part of growing up.

As others on here have said the way to handle it as a parent is to not demonise the behaviour. By enforcing a negative connotation on these substances all you do is implant a "Dad said they're bad so they must be good" mentality. Being honest and open with your kid about their dangers, and benefits, would be the most pragmatic approach.

Having said all that: I'm not a parent and it's certainly not my place to tell others how to raise their children. My own mindset comes from the fact that my own parents took the stance of "whatever you do on your nights out, just be sensible about it" and that's exactly what I did.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This thread made me think of this. Bloke working as an elf for a charity at Christmas did 3 days off his nut on Coke, acid and ketamine in that order and filmed the results. The ket one is particularly good.

[video]http://sabotagetimes.com/funny/happens-youre-tits-work/[/video]

The Ket one is great. "I'm a loooonely little elf". Chuckling away here at nibble towers.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have never spoken to my children aged 7 and 12 about drugs and have absolutely no plans too, if he wants to know something he will ask me.
Schools are in my opinion doing a very good job in educating children on the dangers of drugs and other vices.

My 12 year old could not be more anti drugs, smoking, alchohol and all its effects for which I am eternally grateful, he clearly has his head screwed on.
I have however informed him that im sure his opinions will relax somewhat over time, he assures me they wont.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think the castle is a cocktail bar now! Reigate has always been a nice town but its even more gentrified these days.

Yeah the desert rat was an ocasional drinking hole for me, up until very recently I still saw Jim D and his son until very recently..

Reigate is a funny place these days, arguably one of the nicest towns you could choose to live in but kind of died as a place for pubs and nightlife. It used to attract people from all over and have a real buzz, when I moved away in the early 00's the night life was on its knees and now I understand its more of a bar and restaurant vibe.

Yeah, it's a lovely place. I went to 6th form college there while living in Dorking. Many a memorable night out in a The Red Cross, The Market and Black Horse other end if town. Some of the best nights out of my life. Happy days. Moved to Brighton in 98 and never went back, shame really.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I have never spoken to my children aged 7 and 12 about drugs and have absolutely no plans too, if he wants to know something he will ask me.
Schools are in my opinion doing a very good job in educating children on the dangers of drugs and other vices.

My 12 year old could not be more anti drugs, smoking, alchohol and all its effects for which I am eternally grateful, he clearly has his head screwed on.
I have however informed him that im sure his opinions will relax somewhat over time, he assures me they wont.

Well done.

What most of the morons on here seem to ignore is that I have never said I am against individuals taking drugs. Some way back I did say that as far as I was concerned they could take them till it kills them and good riddance.

What I am against is the gratification of drugs on a public forum frequented particularly at this time of year by youngsters. If it pursuades just one kid to have a go that's one too many.

Without my postings (and a couple of others) this thread would be far from balanced.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

I was like that.

Got bang on it from 18 ish though

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

He's 12. Wait until he's 17 and at a mate's house party, some fitty he wants to shag offers him some Ketamine. Of course he's anti it at 12, so was I, things changed when I got older.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well done.

What most of the morons on here seem to ignore is that I have never said I am against individuals taking drugs. Some way back I did say that as far as I was concerned they could take them till it kills them and good riddance.

What I am against is the gratification of drugs on a public forum frequented particularly at this time of year by youngsters. If it pursuades just one kid to have a go that's one too many.

Without my postings (and a couple of others) this thread would be far from balanced.

Get over yourself, you're the met unreasonable guy on here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It died as a night place once Tickled Ivory got shafted. Before then, *everybody* ended up in Tickled Ivory, but it's replacement (JJ Whispers) is absolute gash.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Gambling addiction is a massive problem in this country. I assume you post your vitriol on the weekly "what bets have you done" thread? After all it's gratifying betting surely? Or can the majority of people be trusted to bet responsibly?

How have your posts been balanced? You've categorically stated that one kid taking drugs is too many. Hardly balanced.

We all can only speak from personal experiences and speaking from my own drugs can be good fun and I wouldn't put anyone off going to experiment with what ever they feel comfortable doing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well done.

FFS. A kid will read this and think why do I want to drink a pint of whiskey and shit myself, or take a pile of K and end up as a circuit board in a fabric world? Hardly gratifying nor a great advert.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
FFS. A kid will read this and think why do I want to drink a pint of whiskey and shit myself, or take a pile of K and end up as a circuit board in a fabric world? Hardly gratifying nor a great advert.

That's it, be very selective with your quotes. You're so transparent.

I was like that.

Got bang on it from 18 ish though

So was I, took me until my early 20's to take my first E. Good god I made up for lost time, some of the best nights of my life.

But now I'm mid forties, sensible family man and a hell of a lot more broad minded than I would have been.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Didn't think he'd answer. Hypocritical old fool.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
I think we should come back to this thread on Monday morning and everyone can list what was consumed or smoked over the weekend. I,d like to think we could get at least 7 different ones up. Quiet one for me this weekend so I am anticipating only a few drinks preceeded by a bit of bud.

but who knows ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here