Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T. Are Liverpool FC actually mentalists?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't think it will effect them as a business, but they are a club who "pride" themselves on their anti racist stand and work they do. Whether it's Liverpool, another team, a company or an individual, if you say you believe in something such as anti racism and you support someone who was being racist because you've invested money in them, or because they represent an investment, you are essentially saying you value £ money over your principles, that is selling out. That is selling your soul. Just my oinion, and yeah it probably is a tiny proporption of people who feel that way. Sadly.

Football clubs sold out many years ago, sadly

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Certainly am. Not sure I recognize it anymore though.

Trouble is to continue to be a football fan I am required to turn a blind eye to a whole range of shite currently associated with the sport.
Spot on!

I would stop in a flash if I didn't love Albion so much. I hate what football has become.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
According to SSN HQ HD:lolol: Liverpool are in talks with AC Milan over the possible signing of Mario Balotelli. Have they learned anything from Suarez, or do they have a clause that states they must have a nutcase in the team?
Shirley, they are asking for trouble, but at least we can all have a good laugh on a regular basis again :wrong:

What was there to learn about Suarez? A massive profit and they've made the Champions League. I'd say that deal was one of the better ones in the club's history.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Makes sense to me, bearing in mind his wages would have been sponsored by Brocks Fireworks.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
What ever the benefits of having Suarez at the club were, Liverpool damaged their reputation beyond repair. Because of Suarez they will always be a club that supported a player who was banned for violence and racism. They nailed their colours to the mast and saying that world cup was the final straw isn't good enough, they're way way too late to come out of it with any credit. People may say it was good business, others will say that was the price for selling the soul of their club.

So what lesson should they have learnt? Maybe you're right, for a club that stood on the side of racism and violent behaviour in exchange for a champions league spot and some cash, then maybe the lesson is just wasted on them.

Are you about 12?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
All overblown nonsense about morality and doing the right thing. Anyone who understands exactly what happened with Suarez will know that Liverpool didn't support a racist like the terrible rags peddled; all in order to sell more papers to the usual tits who love to lap all that rubbish up.

Rodgers has a track record of getting the best out of players with supposed attitude problems, and has been responsible for extracting the undoubted talent out of troubled players like Sturridge, Sterling and the aforementioned Suarez. Not forgetting they have Dr Steve Peters, one of the best psychologists in the world (the same man employed by the England football team at the World Cup and Team GB at the Olympics) and is well equipped to deal with misfit players. His arrival coincided with a better behaved Suarez, who if you remember, had a relatively trouble free year last year for Liverpool. It was only after he had been subjected to propaganda from the press over there and the quite frankly crazy pressure from the Uruguayan population, to whom he is a talisman, that he cracked.

In terms of Balotelli, it seems like the perfect move for both parties. A Balotelli who's right in the head is one hell of a player.

This ^^
Although you're sounding like a closet LFC fan a bit......

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Balotelli is one of the most over rated players in world football

Personally, I don't care less how good he is, the bloke is a complete idiot and I wouldn't want him anywhere near a team of mine, even if he guarateed promotion, I like to have some standards, and they don't include that muppet.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
£16M for a proven, top quality striker is a great deal IF they can keep him out of trouble, especially when you look at just some of the transfer fees this window...

Lukaku - £28M
McCormack - £11M
Shaw - £31.5M
Long - £12M

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Rodgers has already done it a few times. Players with problems off the pitch have been dealt with and turned on their full potential.

Sturridge
Coutihno
Sakho

Most notably Suarez, who after mere weeks away from the set up bit someone again:lolol:

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
They won't find a better striker in his twenties for that kind of money. Yes, he's an petulant egotist with an overdeveloped victim complex, but Brendan probably thinks he can cure that ailment with his management speak.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Seee I don't understand how people have sympathy for Liverpool over this. They backed him over the racism, they backed him over the biting. You make you bed you lie in it. Like I say they nailed their colours to the mast, they knew what they were doing. I thought they were a disgrace at the time and I still think they are. The funny thing is I find who wins the premier league largely irrelevant, and all the bickering between managers. I genuinely didn't used to care who won it, but I find myself now thinking anyone as long as it's not Liverpool, purely becasue of their defence of Suarez.

What do you think they should do then? Release him for free?

No business would let an asset worth £65m just walk out the door!

They backed him at first and he let them down again so they they helped him and last season he won every honour going from the press and fellow players.

When he did it again, Liverpool sold him. Can't see that they acted badly, maybe Dalglish overdid it a bit with the t-shirts etc. but everyone deserves a second chance.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
And £6m more than Ross McCormack. I know which deal sounds better. Balotelli has scored goals at every club he's been at, this seems like great value.

Absolutely THIS.

Mario has won FOUR major trophies, including the Prem and the Champs League and he is only 24!

30 goals in 54 games in Italy as well.

Hmm, McCormack or Mario......

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
What do you think they should do then? Release him for free?

No business would let an asset worth £65m just walk out the door!

They backed him at first and he let them down again so they they helped him and last season he won every honour going from the press and fellow players.

When he did it again, Liverpool sold him. Can't see that they acted badly, maybe Dalglish overdid it a bit with the t-shirts etc. but everyone deserves a second chance.

I didn't say they should release him for free, but there should be no claim they did "the right thing" by selling after the world cup, when that's what they should have done during the racism row. It's all too late in the day to claim moral high ground now. Like I've said in previous posts, yes they made money and great business, but in my opinion they sold out their principles and I also acknowledge that doesn't mean a lot to most people.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Because of Suarez they will always be a club that supported a player who was banned for violence and racism. They nailed their colours to the mast and saying that world cup was the final straw isn't good enough, they're way way too late to come out of it with any credit. People may say it was good business, others will say that was the price for selling the soul of their club.

As much as I'd like this to be true, I realy don't think it is. I doubt their global fanbase has been affected one iota.

Football is just really, really horrible. I'm not even sure why I love it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here