Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am F********

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I agree that once you are on your chosen A-level course, the GCSE results become irrelevant*, in much the way that the A-level results themselves become irrelevant if you then go on to do a degree.

*BUT - Maths and English. Apart from the fact you probably need them to get onto your A-level course, they are important in their own right.

Please help me. I remember bugger all about my degree course, but still wander about quoting lines from "A" level English.
And is this a dagger I see before me ?

Good luck to everybody in exam result mode. Relax, life is in front of you.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Like others said I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you get maths and English the rest aren't really that important. Unless you are wanting to go and be an expert in a certain field. Abit like degrees. Most companies take on people with degrees as it shows you are prepared to put the effort in. I've got mates that have degrees and the jobs they do have no connection with their degree. For example one has a degree in geography but works in private banking.

I think I managed to get more qualifications after leaving education than I did during my time at school and college. Two top end wine qualifications, qualified pyrotechnic and stack loads of work related ones.

So don't stress too much over your results

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
I really wouldn't let it worry you until you get the results. Also, once you've started working qualifications like GCSEs become irrelevant. There's far too much emphasis on passing exams in this country's education system.

Agree with this. I found when I was at school, the focus was very much on teaching how to pass exams rather than the practical application of what you are being taught. I was always terrible at exams and totally lacked focus at school and sixth form (mostly because I wasn't ever the academic sort). I came out of sixth form with two U's and one D. After that I found a Music Tech course I was interested in at City College, went to University a year later and have been working at an audio post production studio in Soho for the last three years. So even though I came out with the worst grades in my year in sixth form I just took a different route. Grades aren't the be all and end all, its more about finding something you're good at and going with it, in my opinion.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Agree with this. I found when I was at school, the focus was very much on teaching how to pass exams rather than the practical application of what you are being taught. I was always terrible at exams and totally lacked focus at school and sixth form (mostly because I wasn't ever the academic sort). I came out of sixth form with two U's and one D. After that I found a Music Tech course I was interested in at City College, went to University a year later and have been working at an audio post production studio in Soho for the last three years. So even though I came out with the worst grades in my year in sixth form I just took a different route. Grades aren't the be all and end all, its more about finding something you're good at and going with it, in my opinion.

Great reply. There never seemed to be enough guidence around what other options you had either, it was always very focused on what results you got, to improve your futher education.

The people who do best for themselves now are generally the people who got themselves trades and now own their own companies, I have several friends who all fell into this and Im sure it would suit plenty more kids out there instead of being forced into further education.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Great reply. There never seemed to be enough guidence around what other options you had either, it was always very focused on what results you got, to improve your futher education.

The people who do best for themselves now are generally the people who got themselves trades and now own their own companies, I have several friends who all fell into this and Im sure it would suit plenty more kids out there instead of being forced into further education.

What annoys me ( and did when I was in education ) is the assumption that after O levels you would do A levels and then after A levels you would do a degree. Rarely was there ever any mention of alternatives to an academic path. I've often wondered if I might have done something at a college like Plumpton ..... if I'd known those types of options existed.

Aug 4, 2011
I have never had to rely on my GCSE results for anything. Jobs sometimes ask but they rarely look into it and I think most employers seek the right ' can do attitude ' or ' willingness to learn ' above anything else. I wouldn't worry too mx uh about it

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Don't worry about it mate. They are a stepping stone to the next stage in education. I had a lot of mates that ended up resitting one or two GCSEs while they were in 6th form. It isn't a massive deal and you just have to make sure that you learn from it and don't mess up second time round.

Like others have said, I haven't been asked once about my GCSE's and I am only 26. They want either A-Levels, Degree or any relevant work experience.

My other half recently decided to retrain as a nurse but she didn't have the maths GCSE to do it. All she had to do was attend a college course for a year which was an access course to the main one. Even if you get bad grades there is always a way to rectify it if you want to. Chin up and good luck for results day as I am sure they will be better than you expect

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Macbeth is 'A' Level these days?

When I was a boy, it was an 'O' level item.

#Dumbing down.

Don't know about these days, Highness, but I think it was in those days. King Lear was the "O" level. Out, vial jelly.
Damn.......there I go again.

I learnt about Macbeth in primary school.

Learning about Macbeth is very different from studying it. I did as a GCSE that was 13 years ago though...

GCSE's don't mean an awful lot. I have the grand total of 3 GCSE's (all 'D's) and 1 AS level (an E). I've got a degree and am working in my chosen profession.

There is too much pressure on 15/16 year olds to know what they want to do for the next 40/50 years. Bollocks to it.

I'm not gonna say it doesn't matter but its really not even close to the worst thing that could happen in your life. You'll work out what you want to at some point, if not now, then you can find the best path to do it, studying only relevant subjects and gaining real world practical experience. I'm an example of that.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Fair point, I completely ****ed up my GCSE's 12 years ago, the World Cup was on and I was sure I had the grades in the bag. I walked away with the shitest GCSE results we are talking literally a couple of pass grades, sorted things out with the sixth form, dropped an A-Level and had to retake English. I learnt my lesson and Left with Alright results.

Dont worry about it, at worst you will have to re-sit a year at sixth form, now if there was a year of my life I'd like to relive it would be my last year of Sixth form, turning 18 birds everywhereIDEAL.

Well I am seriously ancient, and there is still birds everywhere, more now than ever in fact. Unfortunately the *******s shit all over my car on a daily basis ! And I'm so stupid I still feed them. :rolleyes:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I agree that GCSE's are largely irrelevant in later life, because they are overtaken by other things like A Levels, practical experience etc.

BUT, depending on what Carteater wants to do, they would/might be taken in to account by University if you were applying to follow that course in a couple of years' time. But a decent Further Education establishment will help you on your way, give good advice and so on and so forth, as long as they are not like some round here (Winchester and parts of Hampshire) which are in practice selective, and are then known to drop people like stones on occasion if they are not up to scratch after the first year.

In Southampton you would be alright, I would imagine in Brighton you would be OK. My wife is the principal of a sixth form college which has a very inclusive outlook, takes each kid seriously (as long as they are prepared to make the effort), supports them, often through difficult circumstances and wants to help each one be the best that they can be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here