Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk - Disabled Fans?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I went to see England B play at QPR in the early 90s and took a ball straight on the swede. It was during the warm up and I was talking to a friend, turned around when I heard a fuss and saw (for what seeemed like an eternity) a ball sailing straight at me. It smacked me square on the forehead and left me rather dazed and then headachy for the rest of the evening. A programme stall once fell on my head at Wycombe as well. I had to have treatment for that.

Blimey, being smacked by a wayward football is all part of the game and to be taken on the chin (or wherever) - but a programme stall falling on your head was either a freak mishap and incredibly unlucky - or was the stall (ahem) being luzzed during a fracas on the terraces? I'm guessing it was probably the former if it was at Wycombe, which is hardly a hotbed of nawtiness. :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blimey, being smacked by a wayward football is all part of the game and to be taken on the chin (or wherever) - but a programme stall falling on your head was either a freak mishap and incredibly unlucky - or was the stall (ahem) being luzzed during a fracas on the terraces? I'm guessing it was probably the former if it was at Wycombe, which is hardly a hotbed of nawtiness. :thumbsup:

It was an old-school stand, like a London newspaper stand, but with two poles up either side of the front and a huge metal "Programmes" sign on the top. It was halfway up a residential drive and as I was queuing it fell over and the sign smacked me on the head. I got taken into the ground's medical centre and patched up and looked after until the game started. Freak and unlucky. This is a slightly different story to the one I told after the game: "you should have seen the state of the Wycombe fan's face" was my general response.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was an old-school stand, like a London newspaper stand, but with two poles up either side of the front and a huge metal "Programmes" sign on the top. It was halfway up a residential drive and as I was queuing it fell over and the sign smacked me on the head. I got taken into the ground's medical centre and patched up and looked after until the game started. Freak and unlucky. This is a slightly different story to the one I told after the game: "you should have seen the state of the Wycombe fan's face" was my general response.

If that had happened to anyone now, they'd have sued them (probably rightly!).

May 27, 2014
I went to see England B play at QPR in the early 90s and took a ball straight on the swede. It was during the warm up and I was talking to a friend, turned around when I heard a fuss and saw (for what seeemed like an eternity) a ball sailing straight at me. It smacked me square on the forehead and left me rather dazed and then headachy for the rest of the evening. A programme stall once fell on my head at Wycombe as well. I had to have treatment for that.

You're middle name's not lucky is it?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
As a disabled bloke myself, I would, and do regularly have a pop at opposition players, and expect them to coat me back. Being disabled has nothing whatsoever to do with it. I don't believe this non story anyway.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
As a disabled bloke myself, I would, and do regularly have a pop at opposition players, and expect them to coat me back. Being disabled has nothing whatsoever to do with it. I don't believe this non story anyway.

Genuine question: So you feel that some people may use their disability as a 'barrier'? In that they can shout what they want and feel safe, knowing that it would be wrong for someone to come back at them in that manner?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I'm exactly the same in being a disabled bloke who's happy to give it out and I expect take it back in return, like you say being disabled has nothing to do with it.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
If he did actually mock the disabled fan purely because they are disabled then I want Frankie Howerd to say, "It's wicked to mock the afflicted" Brighton player or not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If that had happened to anyone now, they'd have sued them (probably rightly!).

It was a genuine accident but it was a bit daft placing the stand on an sloping driveway; it was just waiting to topple over. But yes, in this day (and if it happened to someone else) I'm sure there would have been a solicitor involved. I did feel sorry for the programme seller, he seemed more shocked than me, and I had to reassure him a number of times it was not an issue.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Genuine question: So you feel that some people may use their disability as a 'barrier'? In that they can shout what they want and feel safe, knowing that it would be wrong for someone to come back at them in that manner?

Yes I do think it happens sometimes. Some, and I mean a very small amount do hide behind their disability. It is something I have never done. If I had a go at you for whatever reason, I'd certainly expect you to come back at me, and rightly so. But I have to say that I genuinely haven't seen any of The Albion's army of disabled supporters, being obnoxious or over the top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here