Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion's summer signings

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
From what I understood he is, but generally in a more central role.

I think we could do with someone who can play a little wider - not perhaps an out-and-out winger as Sami doesn't seem to favour them, but someone who can whip in a good cross as necessary.

Isn't that the role of the full backs in this system? Bruno and Calde have both been good at getting down the line in the past, for how much longer remains to be seen, and their crossing isn't too bad.

As for the other side, the lad Anya at Watford would be ideal in my opinion, I'm sure he would cost a pretty penny but he is exactly what we need, again in my opinion. He plays this role for both Watford and Scotland and the difference he has made in confidence alone for Scotland is massive.

As for the striker, no bloody idea :lol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So the question is if these new players are so good as replacements for who we have sold why have we been playing so crap ? Got to be the manager and coaches fault then

Do you actually have any idea about the game of football at all? Have you ever even played it?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
More positive PR from the mods, I.e. the latest soundboard for the club. Very strange.

These quotes are all from articles on the same 'Read the Albion' section of the site, over the last week.

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?169-Hyypia-making-excuses-already
Having read Oscar Garcia’s barbed comments in The Argus exclusive shortly after he left the club, these words from our new manager could be cause for concern. Is the extent of Hyypia’s knowledge of Danny Holla limited to scouting reports that, presumably, passed over his desk from David Burke? Has he ever actually seen Holla play? Is he really a target of Sami himself?

With 14 days to go, it’s been a less then stellar Summer for the club in the transfer market which has led to questions being asked about the whole process of player acquisition at the club. David Burke, who largely works outside of the public eye, has become a popular target for the Albion’s keyboard boo boys but comments like Sami’s in relation to Holla will do little to dampen the negative sentiment that abounds.

If it all goes horribly wrong for Hyypia at Brighton, as it did for Oscar Garcia, it already feels as though he will be using the same scapegoat as his predecessor.

http://www.northstandchat.com/conte...ir-Play-we-re-top-of-the-league-true-or-false
The fourth position under Gus just 16 months ago, which seems light years ago now with so many of the team (and management) now elsewhere (mainly in the Premier League), was a good performance, and perhaps vindicates Poyet's view that the club had 'hit the ceiling' in terms of being competitive.

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?127-Albion-v-Sheffield-Wednesday-09-08-2014
Sami has got a big job on his hands. The player recruitment team need to get some deals completed to help him out, but that's not the full story. There's work to do on the training ground to get the best out of what we already have - because this was well short of it

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?140-Albion-2-0-Cheltenham-Capital-One-Cup-Round-1
So little happened in the first two thirds of this match, that it's only worth talking about it in general terms. It turns out that if you play no creative players, then you don't create anything. Who knew?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I tend not to judge players before they play for us, in our system, with our players. Too often I've seen us sign people who have produced the goods elsewhere, or who are expensive and have the expectations that come with the price tag only for them not to do with us, and too often I've seen us signing someone who I though would be a waste, or some freebie who isn't expected to do much, only for them to thrive with us.

My default position is always to wait, see what they do with us, maybe give them time to settle/get fit/find form if they don't shine right away.

I can see both view points. I can see the arguments that go with the negative views and also the positive views. I don't think just because someone is writing about why they think the signings are good necessarily means they are "club lickers", they might just be more optimistic.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This summer transfer window reminds me of the FAMOUS Dick Tight phone in 'I WILL sign 5 players' statement and we ended up with the likes of Jonny Dixon, Shame McFail and other no marks to simply say he signed some players

In light of the promise shown by Teixeira and Holla last night, is that still your view?

I'd say the article i referred to in my opening post, is looking pretty accurate.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In light of the promise shown by Teixeira and Holla last night, is that still your view?

I'd say the article i referred to in my opening post, is looking pretty accurate.

Isn't it now, with Bennett as well, four seemingly quality signings in the space of five days.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This summer transfer window reminds me of the FAMOUS Dick Tight phone in 'I WILL sign 5 players' statement and we ended up with the likes of Jonny Dixon, Shame McFail and other no marks to simply say he signed some players

You're only saying that because Jonny Dixon got Big Hilda dripping like an unplugged fridge and it made you jealous.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Ask me in May and I'll give you an answer, nobody judges a signing on one game. None of the 3 were the first choice but if they are successful and we play well then all is well in the end

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here