Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train prices set to rise

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Train fares to increase by 3.5% in 2015

But under a "flex" rule, train companies can raise fares by 2% above the average, as long as the overall average stays at RPI plus 1%, so some fares could increase by 4.5% next year."

Feel sorry for those who use trains

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
"Train fares to increase by 3.5% in 2015

But under a "flex" rule, train companies can raise fares by 2% above the average, as long as the overall average stays at RPI plus 1%, so some fares could increase by 4.5% next year."

Feel sorry for those who use trains

Even if they got a £28,000 pay rise as part of the deal to take a train to work?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
That's what happens when governments insist on selling up and using "competition" to keep prices down as a cheap incentive. Which clearly does not work.

The Railways and the Energy are both examples where it should owned by us and made to run at a profit only used for investment not line the pockets of greedy bas****s.

Stumbled across a secret testing facility in France the other day and got a shot of some of the new stock for the Brighton line.

14841252581_904af6415c_o.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Railways and the Energy are both examples where it should owned by us and made to run at a profit only used for investment not line the pockets of greedy bas****s.

what you suggest means all you do is restructure equity into debt, so paying fixed interest on bonds rather than variable dividend on profits, which is cheaper in the long run.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
year on year increases. Bit of an outrage when announced , bit of an outrage nearer the time but they know it will never amount to much so easy money.

Bet the French wouldnt accept it

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Radio said that under the Tories train fares have risen by 25% since they came to power. That is a bit steep.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's getting silly now :(

I'd love to see a strong Government take back control of the rail/utilities. The constant prices rises seem to go hand in hand with a worsening service.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How much can train & bus fares go up before people just can't afford to use them anymore? It's beyond a joke now because they know most of their customers have no choice but to use them.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
That's what happens when governments insist on selling up and using "competition" to keep prices down as a cheap incentive. Which clearly does not work.

I've been commuting for 5 years now, in that time fares have increased 50%!!!!!!!!!!!!! If my salary followed that inflation, i'd be laughing! Follows inflation my arse! At what point did the government think privatisation would benefit the country?

Part of me likes to think that they knew the infrastructure was a helpless juggernaut, needed a complete overhaul and wanted to discourage people from London for the economical benefit of the regions. But then I realise that that probably wouldn't work and they dont give a f*** about lowley public transport types like me anyway.

D

Deleted member 18477

I commute to London 2/3 days a week and it's almost not worth working the fares are so high..

And surely this rise will mean house prices and rent in London/south east goes up as more people look to move closer to work...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Radio said that under the Tories train fares have risen by 25% since they came to power. That is a bit steep.

no they haven't, unless one cherry picks a few routes, and the increases have been the same for the past 10 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This wouldnt happen in Germany.

According to the official data (see here) in nominal terms prices have increased by 57.7% over 2004-13 (the last year of available data) and in real terms by 17.5% over the same period. Over 2011-13 (the period that the current government was responsible for) it increased by 10.7% in nominal terms, while wages were generally stagnating or falling (regardless of what RPI was doing).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
According to the official data (see here) in nominal terms prices have increased by 57.7% over 2004-13 (the last year of available data) and in real terms by 17.5% over the same period. Over 2011-13 (the period that the current government was responsible for) it increased by 10.7% in nominal terms, while wages were generally stagnating or falling (regardless of what RPI was doing).

That sounds about right. My season ticket to London has gone up about 60% since I started commuting in 2004 - my salary has gone about 2% in that time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here