Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes playing in the Premier League

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For now though that will be on the bench. He's been there since January and has so far started one match...
11 starts AND 11 sub appearances, scoring 3 goals. That's about one goal every 4 or 5 90 min matches.

Don't try amending the facts to suit your argument. He's far better than you care to remember.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
11 starts AND 11 sub appearances, scoring 3 goals. That's about one goal every 4 or 5 90 min matches.

Don't try amending the facts to suit your argument. He's far better than you care to remember.

Apols. Its those brackets that are confusing. Yes. He's played a fair bit due to Danny Ings injury. Who said i didn't rate him ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was talking about Poyet you dullard.....can you read?
Hahahahaha, erm YOU spent his whole time SLAUGHTERING Barnes when he was with us. Just because you are referring to one Poyet post on this thread, that doesn't make him wrong. You should feel a bit silly - Barnes is clearly far better than you told us he was.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I was talking about Poyet you dullard.....can you read?

Yes, I can read. I was just wondering how you felt after you slated Barnes for years and persistently said he was shit and not good enough for us, and now he's playing in the Premier League and we don't have a striker that can score goals? Would you agree we could do with him now?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In the mean time, they probably wanted a Barnes replacement to lead the line while the next Leo was found. That man was COG, and he hasn't been good yet.

Have you actually seen COG play yet?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The fans had diddley-squat to do with Barnes leaving. Good luck to the bloke - I hope it works out well for him.

Had he been able able to resist tripping a ref it could have been us up there.

Or had he got punishment less than someone pushing a ref or threatening and trying to attack a linesman

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yes, I can read. I was just wondering how you felt after you slated Barnes for years and persistently said he was shit and not good enough for us, and now he's playing in the Premier League and we don't have a striker that can score goals? Would you agree we could do with him now?
How I feel, well I don't really, if you are singing his praises after 12 mins of Prem football, then you are obviously an expert of the highest order,..... if after half a season he is knocking then in against all comers, I will tip my hat in acknowledgment,.... I don't however, expect to be dusting off my panama any time soon.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
How I feel, well I don't really, if you are singing his praises after 12 mins of Prem football, then you are obviously an expert of the highest order,..... if after half a season he is knocking then in against all comers, I will tip my hat in acknowledgment,.... I don't however, expect to be dusting off my panama any time soon.

Do you think we could do with him now?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When Barnes was with us, I often wondered if the Barnes haters on NSC (thankfully just a noisy minority) were regular supporters in the Withdean years. If they were, then they would have seen the Barnes 'journey' over his entire time with us.

A young and raw Barnes arrived for a minuscule fee, but almost immediately fitted into our game, always gave his all, score plenty of goals, make the most of his abilities, improved his game, showed tenacity in games where teams tried to intimidate us (never scared of bigger older opponents) and never complained when moved into midfield to accommodate far less flexible players/people such as CMS and Ulloa. He also took a mean penalty or two.

In that same time, we experimented with a whole host of forwards who couldn't put the ball in the net at anywhere like Barnes's regularity. Vokes, Dobbie, Sandaza, Paynter, R.Bergkamp, CMS, Agdastein, Woods, Holroyd ....

Good luck to Barnes. I understand that he was on very modest pay at the Albion, far far less than most of the first team squad at the time he left. He has a family to support, and on hard-work alone deserves everything he earns out of football.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When Barnes was with us, I often wondered if the Barnes haters on NSC (thankfully just a noisy minority) were regular supporters in the Withdean years. If they were, then they would have seen the Barnes 'journey' over his entire time with us.

A young and raw Barnes arrived for a minuscule fee, but almost immediately fitted into our game, always gave his all, score plenty of goals, make the most of his abilities, improved his game, showed tenacity in games where teams tried to intimidate us (never scared of bigger older opponents) and never complained when moved into midfield to accommodate far less flexible players/people such as CMS and Ulloa. He also took a mean penalty or two.

In that same time, we experimented with a whole host of forwards who couldn't put the ball in the net at anywhere like Barnes's regularity. Vokes, Dobbie, Sandaza, Paynter, R.Bergkamp, CMS, Agdastein, Woods, Holroyd ....

Good luck to Barnes. I understand that he was on very modest pay at the Albion, far far less than most of the first team squad at the time he left. He has a family to support, and on hard-work alone deserves everything he earns out of football.

Don't recall Barnes getting any stick at all from the fans at Withdean. That only started at the Amex. I blame the customer.

Disgraceful to have let him go in January with no replacement coming in. Always looked dangerous in the box, much more so than anyone who cost a high multiple of what he cost. Young player who is still improving. Probably would have stayed if we'd offered him thruppence a week more. It's the Albion's loss.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Lost a gem when we let him go, I have no doubt we could have kept him if we wanted to, just like we could have kept Murray.

Never mind just stand back and drool at the quality we now have up front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here