Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worrying stat on Football League Show ( Apologies if fixtures)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Nothing to do with the stadium novelty wearing off and every thing to do with entertainment. Oscar was dire, and now Sammi has lost all his star players. People will stop forking out unless they are entertained. It's been few and far between since we lost Poyet.

Treat fans like customers for long enough and they'll start acting like them.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
You're going to have to help me out here, because I hope I have the wrong end of the stick, which I'd like you to reassure me.

It seems that you are systematically chipping away at your own status within the group that can justifiably call themselves 'saviours of the Albion'.

It appears to me that not a week goes by without you popping up here, having a little dig at the club and wander off again.

The club is different now, but that doesn't change the fact if you were offered everything that the Albion now is, all those years ago, you'd have bitten their hand off, and yet you don't seem happy.

It doesn't half seem like sour grapes now that Tony is playing his and the clubs cards close to his chest, so to speak.

Stat Brother hopefully I will reassure you.

I have no real axe to grind with the Albion, but as people we all change, I was 24 when Gulls Eye came out and I'm 50 now.

The same can be said for the club, whilst I proud of what collectively we all did as supporters, the club we all help saved has moved on.

Apologies if you deem some my posts as digs, but whatever ones age the fanzine mentality never really leaves.

I am however seriously concerned, as I previously stated the club has moved on from the one we all loved at The Goldstone, Gillingham and The Withdean, in the last two years we have after 46 games found ourselves effectively 270 minutes away from Premiership football.

One thing hasn't changed over the years are the complexities of the Albion, and clearly there are things that we will never get to hear about, but prior to 3pm last Saturday we were the best supported club outside the Premeirship, if we don't maintain the levels and standards we have set ourselves, 27,000 will soon turn into 22,000, closely followed by 18,000 and before you know it the stadium Tony Bloom built us will be half full, which bearing in mind the postion we got ourselves into over the last three years would be a disaster.

Like everyone else to a degree I'm frustrated by recent events, but far worse situations have been turned around at the club so as Albion fans, and I don't buy into the JCL thing, as we all at one time or other have watched the club for the first time, we will always be ever optimistic.

The squad at the closing of the window will be the acid test, if it's better than the day of the Derby home tie, then we will move forward.

Re my some of my recent posts as I said to Barry Lloyd when he asked me 26 years ago "What gives you the right to have a pop?"

I replied. "my admission money"

And some things don't change........

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing

I have no real axe to grind with the Albion, but as people we all change, I was 24 when Gulls Eye came out and I'm 50 now.

The same can be said for the club, whilst I proud of what collectively we all did as supporters, the club we all help saved has moved on.

Apologies if you deem some my posts as digs, but whatever ones age the fanzine mentality never really leaves.

I am however seriously concerned, as I previously stated the club has moved on from the one we all loved at The Goldstone, Gillingham and The Withdean, in the last two years we have after 46 games found ourselves effectively 270 minutes away from Premiership football.

One thing hasn't changed over the years are the complexities of the Albion, and clearly there are things that we will never get to hear about, but prior to 3pm last Saturday we were the best supported club outside the Premeirship, if we don't maintain the levels and standards we have set ourselves, 27,000 will soon turn into 22,000, closely followed by 18,000 and before you know it the stadium Tony Bloom built us will be half full, which bearing in mind the postion we got ourselves into over the last three years would be a disaster.

Like everyone else to a degree I'm frustrated by recent events, but far worse situations have been turned around at the club so as Albion fans, and I don't buy into the JCL thing, as we all at one time or other have watched the club for the first time, we will always be ever optimistic.

The squad at the closing of the window will be the acid test, if it's better than the day of the Derby home tie, then we will move forward.

Re my some of my recent posts as I said to Barry Lloyd when he asked me 26 years ago "What gives you the right to have a pop?"

Spot on once again

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
So if Tonywants to pocket the Leo £8m and wait for the proceeds of the training ground then good luck to him!

This doesn't really calculate when Tony has told the fans we are aiming for top 6 finish, charging premiership prices at the amex whilst selling off anyone of any value. You may be happy to keep lapping it up but I can assure you many aren't prepared to. That doesn't make them bedwetters or JCL's either. I will always be BHAFC (have been for over 30 years) but i'm not a mug who follows blind corporate faith and harps on about others doubt like a lively Jehovah's witness at the door...

You are welcome to be as happy clappy as you like... Some of us want to watch a decent game of football

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The most important time for any club is during the summer transfer window to make deals. This is where you shape your squad for the current campaign. I don't think many chairmen like the January window due to inflated prices but it's certainly an option.
With two weeks left of this window and less impressive signings to date the future doesn't look bright.
Whatever happens this season many people will remember this summer when it comes to renewing next year.
Look at our squad and the league table. The alarm bells are going off already.

if we end up having a good season (big if)...then most people (i'm not counting NSC) will forget all about this summer..imho ....

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
yes as me, but how many judge by what position we finish. if we finish midtable with no chance off getting to premiership would some sth not be will to wait the 2 -3 year or longer ride?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

That's just ifs and buts pal....this is the case for most clubs!!!
Let's be honest we may have been in the playoffs twice recently,but we have also not been a club hovering around the top 3 since we've been in the championship,late runs have seen us steal playoff spots.V
You don't have a clue what our crowds will be like in two years or 3,rather pointless presuming as we haven't had a fantastic stadium for decades and decades.The entertainment at the amex has been dire and that includes 90% of poyet's rein.
4 seasons of defensive boring football is taking its toll regardless of making the playoffs twice,this season has started the same way.It also must be noted that we are being charged to much compared to other clubs in this division.

We'll have 20k st holders next season im sure :)

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I'm a bit sad, I'll renew whatever. It's in the blood, can't be helped.
Definitely been a downward trend since the ego from Uruguay left though. How we got to the play offs last year I don't know. Seems like none of the other teams wanted it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nice reply Ian.

And like others have already said, Boring and Hove Albion are now in their 3rd season regardless of the play off finishes. We've played incredibly dull football for huge chunks of the time we've been at the Amex and that's a worry. People just won't come, we've gone entire months with barely a shot on target let alone goals. It's just so boring watching us and that's why people will stop coming. Got to change things. Sadly, it doesn't look like Sami's the man to do this either.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
That's just ifs and buts pal....this is the case for most clubs!!!
Let's be honest we may have been in the playoffs twice recently,but we have also not been a club hovering around the top 3 since we've been in the championship,late runs have seen us steal playoff spots.V
You don't have a clue what our crowds will be like in two years or 3,rather pointless presuming as we haven't had a fantastic stadium for decades and decades.The entertainment at the amex has been dire and that includes 90% of poyet's rein.
4 seasons of defensive boring football is taking its toll regardless of making the playoffs twice,this season has started the same way.It also must be noted that we are being charged to much compared to other clubs in this division.

We'll have 20k st holders next season im sure :)

Not interested in other clubs only ours.

I hope your final prediction is right.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Thanks for the reply.

I don't see anything that you've written that Tony isn't already acutely aware of.

He is on record as saying 'Sami will have a competitive squad by 01.09'.

If anyone has earned the benefit of the doubt it has to be the man who's paid a damn sight more than admission money.
It's hard to believe we have another boogie man at the helm.

Tony has laid down his strategy for the club and it's future, jeez if I know it, I'm very sure someone who paws over every detail like yourself understands Tony's ethos.
You certainly don't need me to describe the differences between the 'haves & have not's' in English football.

Come September Tony could well have valid and difficult questions to answer.

But with a clear path set out through the academy and stadium investment, having a pop now while echoing the ghosts of The Goldstone, Gillingham & Withdean seems a little churlish.

Lets at least have some proper failure first, we are Brighton fans it can't be too far away.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Two strong looking signings in the last 3 days (Portuguese Joe in particular) makes me think it's all going to come together. Call it blind faith if you want. Comfortably mid-table or above at Christmas and in the play-offs come May.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
You were then, same as I was bunking off from the school football team bus to watch the Albion at Aldershot in the FA cup in 1967

A JCL to me is someone who's supported another team and have only recently started following the Albion because we have the Amex and played attractive football. I'm hopeful that most of these people will have caught the bug and realize going to watch football live, no matter how dire it can be will always be better than "supporting" a premier league team from their sofa.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

I don't see anything that you've written that Tony isn't already acutely aware of.

He is on record as saying 'Sami will have a competitive squad by 01.09'.

If anyone has earned the benefit of the doubt it has to be the man who's paid a damn sight more than admission money.
It's hard to believe we have another boogie man at the helm.

Tony has laid down his strategy for the club and it's future, jeez if I know it, I'm very sure someone who paws over every detail like yourself understands Tony's ethos.
You certainly don't need me to describe the differences between the 'haves & have not's' in English football.

Come September Tony could well have valid and difficult questions to answer.

But with a clear path set out through the academy and stadium investment, having a pop now while echoing the ghosts of The Goldstone, Gillingham & Withdean seems a little churlish.

Lets at least have some proper failure first, we are Brighton fans it can't be too far away.

Thanks for your reply SB.

It's not really churlish more the ramblings of a middle aged man, how many of us on here would like to be 30 or so years younger, 3 stone lighter, watching Foster, Case, Smith and Robinson from the North Terrace, before going home to watch Jimmy Saville make a nations dreams come true, oh and 75p for a pint?

As a fan I, like thousands of others, am eternally grateful to Tony Bloom for effectively saving the Albion in the same manner in their own way as Messrs Bamber and Knight did before him.

On the flip side as fans, of all ages, we are now paying more to sit and watch, programmes, pints, burger etc than ever before, if there is an issue with the end product as consumers are we not allowed to ask questions?

Is this the Albion or the old Moscow Spartak?

My main point was, and is, if the product isn't right then perhaps some of the new fans, even some of the old will stop coming, and then we do have a real problem

Roll on 1st September, then we will all be happy, the bed sheets of the county bone dry and we can move forward to hopefully another season a the right end of the Championship.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for your reply SB.

It's not really churlish more the ramblings of a middle aged man, how many of us on here would like to be 30 or so years younger, 3 stone lighter, watching Foster, Case, Smith and Robinson from the North Terrace, before going home to watch Jimmy Saville make a nations dreams come true, oh and 75p for a pint?

As a fan I, like thousands of others, am eternally grateful to Tony Bloom for effectively saving the Albion in the same manner in their own way as Messrs Bamber and Knight did before him.

On the flip side as fans, of all ages, we are now paying more to sit and watch, programmes, pints, burger etc than ever before, if there is an issue with the end product as consumers are we not allowed to ask questions?

Is this the Albion or the old Moscow Spartak?

My main point was, and is, if the product isn't right then perhaps some of the new fans, even some of the old will stop coming, and then we do have a real problem

Roll on 1st September, then we will all be happy, the bed sheets of the county bone dry and we can move forward to hopefully another season a the right end of the Championship.
I guess you've hit upon some huge bugbears of mine, while it would appear that I hold you to a higher standard, which isn't fair.

'Back in the good old days' bar occasional spikes, which we all remember, it actually wasn't that good.
I bet you a lot of money back in the day we all stood around moaning that it wasn't as good then as it was 'back in the good old days'.
For every Steve Foster and Michael Robinson there's 5 Ashley Neal's and Mike Trusson's

Tony Bloom isn't responsible for inflation, and he isn't making you sit in your seat, eat your pie and drink your beer.
If you don't want to pay it then don't.
Pie and a pint have now gone from my Saturday routine, programmes went last year.
The club has no divine right to 'give' me food and drink.
If others like yourself are still prepared/aqble to pay, through gritted teeth, then c'est la vie.

Nobody looked up at a half finished Sistine Chapel and said 'Oi Mike as you haven't finished just artex over what you've done and we'll end it now, oh and they're not even touching'.
We're very lucky, we actually have a hard date set by the chairman on which he can be judged.

Why is it so difficult to wait until the job is finished and all the facts (that we're ever going to get) are available before becoming a monger of doom.

The point that I'm pussy footing around (again out of respect), but on reflection I'm just going to come right out and say is:-

I can't help but wonder if you'd be making such negative little digs if you still had the ear of the clubs top table.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here