Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This team will go down as it stands. Some people need to wake up.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He said what every one else knows. We have done very badly and need to turn it around and hope it isn't too little too late

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
My concern is that any new additions who do arrive in the next 2 weeks are likely to be panic signings. As much as I hope Teixeira does well, you can't tell me they had been considering him over the last couple of months. This was a reactionary signing just to bolster the numbers. There may well be a few good players still out there but the pool to choose from is dwindling fast and I suspect we will be left with the dregs at the bottom.

I'm not a big fan of loan players and our record in this department is pretty poor as we all know.

Just desperately hoping a major signing or 4 is made in the next fortnight otherwise it's pretty obvious at which end of the table we'll be battling this season.

Pretty pissed off having travelled up to Brum this weekend and I too noted the lack of thanks Sammi gave the great away support yesterday. At least a gesture of acknowledgment would have been nice. I like many have spent a small fortune this weekend. The club are running the risk of losing a lot of goodwill if they're not careful.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
All you need to do is look the body language of the players!!! Says it all they know and we all know that this is a below average side! Still chin up people as Bloom said he will be happy with our squad come Sept 1st :banana:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Warren Aspinall who is part of our recruitment team made three statements yesterday that surprised me, as it could be taken as criticism of his bosses.

1. He stated that the club knew what players would and could be going and he stated that they should have got players in before letting the ones they sold go.

The downside to that is you may be left with players who do not want to be there, something Hyppia was getting across in the press conference last Friday regarding the lack of effort Buckley was putting in at training. On top of that, depending on the player's personality, they can then become a poisonous influence in the dressing room, undermining team spirit. You either shift them out or isolate them with the youth team, both ways that player is no longer available to you.

gumbo43

gumbo
Jun 9, 2011
hove
Why throw 4 or so games in the process. We are playing with a relegation team at present plain and simple.

The club ask for patience. And all we get in turn is book your f@@king Christmas dinner.

Quick to take our money and throw commercial sh@t and stupid slogans at us, too slow to get a team capable of beating 2 poor teams.

Really poor show.

They have managed to shatter the feelgood factor that's been about since our return to Brighton.

Haven't felt so unlike watching football for decades.

Agree with this 100% - all very depressing, got five season tickets and already wavering if can be bothered to go next week to be humiliated, ruins me weekend

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
I thought Aspinall talked a lot of sense yesterday. I don't know how influential he is in the recruitment process (and sometimes he talks nonsense) but he made some shrewd and highly relevant points, as the above poster has pointed out. Maybe it's time for Burke et al to take notice.

Ive often thought Aspinall makes some good, knowledgable comments. Obviously being wasted as a scout in a club too cautious and slow in recruitment! Perhaps he could do a better job than Nathan Jones! Oh yeah, he speaks Spanish though?
Aspinall comes across as a guy who probably speaks his mind!!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We lost these:

Peter Brezovan, Will Hoskins, Tomasz Kuszczak, Andrea Orlandi, David Lopez and David Rodriguez.
And had these loanees returned:
Stephen Ward, Keith Andrews, Leroy Lita, Jonathan Obika and Jesse Lingard
Plus we sold : Bridcutt, Ulloa & Buckley
Brezovan- was always considered a liability by most posters
Hoskins- played how many times?
Kuszczak- Replaced with similar if not better?
Orlandi- hardly ever fit although good on his day
Lopez- source of constant criticism from NSC
Rodriguez- as above but again hardly played.

Of the loanees
Ward- a great loss DESPERATELY NEEDS REPLACING
Lingard- not really rated although has potential.
Andrews, Lita and Obika- source of constant criticism from NSC

Sold:
Bridcutt didn't play for us last season even when he did get one pitch.We have two potential replacements Toko and now Holla.
Ulloa Good player but good business to sell -DESPERATELY NEEDS REPLACING
Buckley- Good player but good business to sell as he has gone backwards since Gus left. Replaced by Teixeira first impressions seem good?

So 2 class replacements needed and play Ince as a CB if needed. I believe that would do it . I do agree that we should have had these in before the season started but do we really think the club is not aware and doing everything they can to get these players in?

Or should it be at any cost? Forget wage structure?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
We lost these:

Peter Brezovan, Will Hoskins, Tomasz Kuszczak, Andrea Orlandi, David Lopez and David Rodriguez.
And had these loanees returned:
Stephen Ward, Keith Andrews, Leroy Lita, Jonathan Obika and Jesse Lingard
Plus we sold : Bridcutt, Ulloa & Buckley
Brezovan- was always considered a liability by most posters
Hoskins- played how many times?
Kuszczak- Replaced with similar if not better?
Orlandi- hardly ever fit although good on his day
Lopez- source of constant criticism from NSC
Rodriguez- as above but again hardly played.

Of the loanees
Ward- a great loss DESPERATELY NEEDS REPLACING
Lingard- not really rated although has potential.
Andrews, Lita and Obika- source of constant criticism from NSC

Sold:
Bridcutt didn't play for us last season even when he did get one pitch.We have two potential replacements Toko and now Holla.
Ulloa Good player but good business to sell -DESPERATELY NEEDS REPLACING
Buckley- Good player but good business to sell as he has gone backwards since Gus left. Replaced by Teixeira first impressions seem good?

So 2 class replacements needed and play Ince as a CB if needed. I believe that would do it . I do agree that we should have had these in before the season started but do we really think the club is not aware and doing everything they can to get these players in?

Or should it be at any cost? Forget wage structure?
You forgot Barnes and ElAbd but having read all that, what point of Warrens comments are you commenting on?

Points wise we are at the same point as last year but the difference in quality of the squad now compared with what we had last year is massive. Last year we had the players to get us out of trouble. This year we quite clearly do not.

And if you honestly think that within the next 2 weeks we will magically obtain 4,5,6 quality players then you are living in cloud cockoo land.

And the 'sign em whoever' is obvious. There's literally days left of this transfer window and if we haven't managed to secure out 'top' targets by now then we won't. Because try have either gone elsewhere, we can't afford them, or we never really had any in the first place.

Yes. We'll definitely make some signings but there's a huge danger there'll be very pressurised, reactive ones, knowing that the time has run out.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Just a point on the 'time needed for the new signings to gel', in that all (?) the other teams in the division have made signings, but seem to be able to win/draw/score/keep clean sheets etc. with their new team members, so that 'excuse' needs knocking on the head, innit ???

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
a little bit yes, as we have made some effort in the transfer market finally and brought in some quality.......

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
In Holla and Teixeira we have signed a couple of decent players. They aren't going to turn us into automatic promotion contenders overnight but it is a significant step in the right direction. I hope that McCourt might have a say in things too. But I think we are still one or two decent players shy of being more than a mid table side.

In the cold light of day following last nights excellent result I am reminding myself that it was against a poor Leeds team who in the first half let us play almost at will. We probably should have punished them more decisively. Our second goal was a bit slow in coming and absolutely vital to ensure eliminated the risk of an unjust draw.

At this stage, like most seasons I will relax once we have 50 points on the board and then see where that takes us. In the last two seasons we had poor starts but recovered strongly. There are some tricky games coming up and I feel we need to get 3 points from Bolton and Blackpool to build on this result.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I wonder if some of the people in this thread have since calmed down?

36 thumbs down I got on Saturday, sheesh

It's the nature of the NSC beast. After every result, five hundred posters will be right about the result and five hundred posters will be wrong about the result. Not many will be able to convincingly tell you WHY tho.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
On Saturday I went to the Norwich v Watford game with a Hornet supporting mate. It was interesting to judge where the Albion are in comparison. Watford opened brightly with Vydra and Deeney looking very lively. Sadly any chance of a decent game went with a very early straight red card after a bad Watford foul on Redmond, who was a real handful.

Norwich looked very comfortable going forward with Grabban and Lafferty all showing very incisive play. I was quite impressed by Lafferty who easily took the ball past defenders despite his size (think of a leaner and quicker Ulloa). Grabban clearly has an eye for the goal and was dangerous throughout. Bradley Johnson scored a decent goal. Watford let Hoolahan have the run of the pitch. Norwich may not be the force many punters expect now that Fer has gone and Redmond might go too.

Watford never really had any luck in the game. What struck me was the pace at which both teams moved the ball to attackers and how quickly they got support forward by comparison to the Albion. I think both teams would have taken Leeds apart last night, possibly more clinically than ourselves. However Albion's performance last night greatly encouraged me that we would not get (as) battered by the more fancied teams as I feared.

Elliott Bennett had a brief cameo as a Sub and did ok but at 3-0 Norwich were already out of sight. Nice to see him get a warm reception from the home crowd after his long layoff. Keith Andrews came on as sub for Watford and instantly reminded me of his attributes by passing a simple 25 yard ball into row Z and also made a panicked clearance straight to an opposing forward about 15 yards from goal. Deja vu.

Finally for a 26k crowd Carrow Road was like a morgue and for much of the game it was the Watford fans who made the noise, which was a real surprise.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
We still need at least 3/4 if not more permanent signings to mount a serious challenge again this season.
Tex and Holla are good signings but def not all we need by a long long way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here