Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ward Off to Burnley?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Burke has got to go.

Our transfer dealings and player recruitment are totally unacceptable and ultimately he needs to take responsibility.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I'd like to hear from the club now

It's not bed wetting as some call it. It's real justified concern about inept dealing in the transfer window.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
You are right. Maybe we were just unlucky with Grabban, Ward, Clayton.... Or maybe we are just inept penny pinchers, trying to screw down on every deal to save money. I did hear that agents hate dealing with us because of it, and will always try and find another deal.

Grabban was poor, I admit - we should have coughed up, no excuses.
Ward may or may not be down to the club - they need to open up about this, same with Clayton.

Inept penny pinchers ? Id rather our club were sensible with money and didnt over pay and spunk it on stupidly high wages and fees, but hey, if you want our club to be running up massive losses then thats you. Id rather be supporting a sustainable club than one that could end up becoming the next Portsmouth.

Ah yes of course, the club not spending itself into massive debts is bad these days, such is the delusion with football fans.......

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
if this does materialise into something true then burke really needs to take a look at himself. it also wouldn't hurt for him to jump off the top of the west-upper.

BURKE DOES NOT HOLD THE PURSE STRINGS FFS! I really don't understand how our chairman is so immune from blame. Bet a load of the lickers on here were also the ones lapping up the shit Archer & co were giving out when they came in..

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Baldock would cost FOUR MILLION, id say not coughing up for that is actually bloody sensible, but still, slate them off for that if you want :facepalm:

Got a source for that, or are you making it up? No doubt that procrastination cost us at least Clayton and Ward, and being outdone on wages by a club with gates of half ours cost us Grabban. Who, incidentally, went for three times the fee we'd agreed in this window.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Everyday is a new worst day for a long time . Absolute shit that .

Blame club for fannying about well into august

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Burnley presumably didn't come in from nowhere. The players and agents tend to hold all the cards (assuming they are in demand) with the transfer window quivering.

Oh well.

That's the point. We (well the club) think they are being smart holding out on deals, trying to save a few quid. While all the time the days are ticking past, one by one and we are getting more desperate. We don't hold the aces, the clubs and the agents do. We either pay up or miss out and end up with a load of shite. Which I suspect is what's going to happen.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Burke has got to go.

Our transfer dealings and player recruitment are totally unacceptable and ultimately he needs to take responsibility.
Sack him, bring in another; have the same problem then what?

I don't think this is Burke, I think this is board level. They have to approve every deal, if Burke's been bringing them to the table and the board saying no, what can Burke do?

EDIT: I'd also wish people would stop these poker analogies. Aces are only the best hand pre-flop, if the flop is wet. I.e flush, paired or straight draws ridden; then the aces are the underdog. Bloom maybe a poker player, but that doesn't mean he'll win every hand.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Grabban was poor, I admit - we should have coughed up, no excuses.
Ward may or may not be down to the club - they need to open up about this, same with Clayton.

Inept penny pinchers ? Id rather our club were sensible with money and didnt over pay and spunk it on stupidly high wages and fees, but hey, if you want our club to be running up massive losses then thats you. Id rather be supporting a sustainable club than one that could end up becoming the next Portsmouth.

Ah yes of course, the club not spending itself into massive debts is bad these days, such is the delusion with football fans.......

I am not saying we should be paying stupid wages doing a Portsmouth, but we often get lauded about how great attendances are, how much beer is drunk, how many pies eaten, WHILST having some of the most expensive tickets in the Championship, yet it has been CONFIRMED our budget is mid-table, and we are going backwards in our transfer dealings. How are all these other clubs managing on MUCH smaller attendances and income?

I really think Bloom is out of his depth, and doesn't know what he has let himself in for now. He has this ideal nirvana around FFP, but we've gone too far with it. By the time clubs are getting 'fined', we'll have lost a few thousand season ticket holders no doubt

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
An absolute farce. From start to finish this transfer window has been ****ing dreadful

No ifs buts or maybe's....****ing dreadful

Bloom, Barber and Burke need to take a long hard look at themselves tonight.

I appreciate what Mr Bloom had done for the club but that does not give him immunity from criticism. This window had been a **** up from start to finish. He needs to show some of his "leadership" qualities, grow a pair of balls and finally sort this recruitment policy out once and for all because there's clearly a fundament flaw in how we are doing things.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
That's the point. We (well the club) think they are being smart holding out on deals, trying to save a few quid. While all the time the days are ticking past, one by one and we are getting more desperate. We don't hold the aces, the clubs and the agents do. We either pay up or miss out and end up with a load of shite. Which I suspect is what's going to happen.

Don't worry Kev. We'll still have a "competitive" squad in place by 1 Sep. :rolleyes:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Is anybody really that suprised, we have a wages limit and our sticking to it hence the protracted negotiations. That is why I was suprised to find threads stating he was signing as I had heard the opposite due to the wage issue but no player is going to turn down the chance tp play in the premiership on probably double what we have offered. The clubs fault for dragging their heels

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here