Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Woodingdean Seagull - Tony Langridge

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
My thoughts are with you and your family at this terrible time. Tony made a lot of lives better than they would have otherwise been - not just those of the people he knew and loved, but countless of other lives around the world too, enriched through his deeds and selfless endeavours.

Good on you, Woodingdean Seagull. If only we could all be a bit more like you.

Not if only - we can all try to be a bit more like Tony - now that would indeed be a fitting tribute to a truly great man

cpfc remf captain

Jul 6, 2003
13 pages in less than 24 hours proves how special and well thought of you were mate.

However, Tony was a bit of a secret palace fan really. I remember one night in May a few years ago chatting to him at a massive Palace V Brighton fixture and his words were "kev i really hope your lot win tonight". Well ok it was an REMF game and we had lost about four years running on pens but him being such a nice guy really did mean it (I think we lost on pens again though).

He was massive in everything REMF but also the Prestonville golf society he organised four times a year and kindly invited me to join was so many great days that i will always remember.

Last edited:

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
I saw the name but didn't make a connection until seeing his NSC name who exactly it was. Never had the chance to meet him but had spoken to him several times over the years via pm. RIP

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Condolences to all of the family. I didn't have the privilege of knowing Tony but evidently a man with a big heart and a great loss to the wider Albion family.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I didn't know him personally but this is dreadful news. My thoughts are with his family. RIP Tony.

Arnies seagulls

Aug 14, 2014
I have just joined North Stand Chat just so I can join in the wonderful tributes to my mate Tony.
I have had tears in my eyes reading some of the messages .
He was one of life's good guys and I will always remember him as the "Easter Bunny". When my 2 kids were younger he would turn up on Easter Sunday and leave an Easter egg for both of them and the look on their faces was priceless. But that was Tony...always thinking of others.
He was a big golf fan and I remember when we shared a room on a golf trip to Portugal. Lovely bloke and good company ...BUT...he could snore for England!!
I will look out for news of a tribute to him at the Charlton match as I would like to show my appreciation.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Deepest sympathy and thinking of his family.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Thanks to everyone for the lovely tributes, as a big brother you couldnt wish for anyone better.
I am on holiday in Zante with my wife and daughter and whilst we knew the end was coming, the phone call from
my younger brother has left us all heartbroken.
Reading this thread, whilst reducing us to floods of tears, has helped because the sentiments and words make us even prouder of Tony.
He was a fantastic older brother who would do anything for anyone.
A leading member of the Brighton Mods in the early 60's, he would run me to school on bis Lambretta GT 200
and was always with his crew on Bank Holiday's when the Rockers came to town.
In 1969 Tony worked at the Sunblest near our house in Woodingdean as a wholesale delivery driver. He used to finish about 12-00 ish and on a Friday lunchtime the snow dumped down and there were no buses running to get home from school, i was at Westlain (falmer) so Tony walked through the snow over the Falmer road to bring me a coat and scarf. The weather was fine 1st thing so we didnt have winter clothing on. The headmaster wouldnt allow us to go over the Falmer road to get home. We had to go along Lewes road, up Bear road and around the racecourse to Woodingdean.Tony just gave the coat, wellys and scarf to a student from Sussex University who had just a jumper and trainers.
He was that sort of guy. He would help anyone.
I think that is why he enjoyed his work with the REMF so much.
I visited Tony every day at the RSCH when we new his time was short.The day before I came on holiday was the worst day of my life. I shook hands with Tony and said i would see him when I came back on the 18th, knowing in my heart that that was very unlikely. All he said was dont worry about me, have a great holiday.
Just about sums him up.
I will miss you so much Tony, i couldnt have wished for a better brother
RIP TONY
Wont be Druv Bruv.
X

My thoughts are with you and the family. Don't think I met Tony but his is-in law, Elaine, has been keeping me updated although I've been off this week. Sad loss for all.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Last time I met Tony was with Liz to collect a REMF cheque to fund projects out in Zambia. He will be greatly missed.View attachment 57394

Attachments

• TL.jpg
    TL.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 287

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Very Sad news, had a few dealings with Tony, Lovely Bloke, Rip Tony

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thanks to everyone for the lovely tributes, as a big brother you couldnt wish for anyone better.
I am on holiday in Zante with my wife and daughter and whilst we knew the end was coming, the phone call from
Reading this thread, whilst reducing us to floods of tears, has helped because the sentiments and words make us even prouder of Tony.
A leading member of the Brighton Mods in the early 60's, he would run me to school on bis Lambretta GT 200
In 1969 Tony worked at the Sunblest near our house in Woodingdean as a wholesale delivery driver. He used to finish about 12-00 ish and on a Friday lunchtime the snow dumped down and there were no buses running to get home from school, i was at Westlain (falmer) so Tony walked through the snow over the Falmer road to bring me a coat and scarf. The weather was fine 1st thing so we didnt have winter clothing on. The headmaster wouldnt allow us to go over the Falmer road to get home. We had to go along Lewes road, up Bear road and around the racecourse to Woodingdean.Tony just gave the coat, wellys and scarf to a student from Sussex University who had just a jumper and trainers.
I visited Tony every day at the RSCH when we new his time was short.The day before I came on holiday was the worst day of my life. I shook hands with Tony and said i would see him when I came back on the 18th, knowing in my heart that that was very unlikely. All he said was dont worry about me, have a great holiday.
Just about sums him up.
RIP TONY
Wont be Druv Bruv.
X

Perfect.

Who wouldn't love those words to be written about them upon their passing? Perfect.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Tony with Doug Eaton at the 2014 REMF golf day, a wonderful day.

uzary3y9.jpg

I agree with the suggestion to call it 'Tonys Golf Day - a REMF fundraiser' or something similar next year.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just about sums him up.
RIP TONY
Wont be Druv Bruv.
X
It's always really sad when we lose one of our own, even if it's just someone you know through their posts on NSC, and it puts everything into perspective. My thoughts are with you and your family.

*Proud member of the 1st REMF squad*

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One thing I forgot that Tony told me he always did on matchday at the Amex - something he did from the first day - was 'toast' the second-last verse of Attila's 'Goldstone Ghosts' ('... the battle's only just begun, but we have won the war...') in Dick's Bar. The poem meant an awful lot to him, especially that verse.

Tony was the guest on the Albion Roar on the 6th August 2011 - the day of the Doncaster Rovers match. I've just put it up in the Archive Section of the Roar webiste. http://albionroar.co.uk/archive.php

Fat Langers

Dec 27, 2007
One thing I forgot that Tony told me he always did on matchday at the Amex - something he did from the first day - was 'toast' the second-last verse of Attila's 'Goldstone Ghosts' ('... the battle's only just begun, but we have won the war...') in Dick's Bar. The poem meant an awful lot to him, especially that verse.

Tony was the guest on the Albion Roar on the 6th August 2011 - the day of the Doncaster Rovers match. I've just put it up in the Archive Section of the Roar webiste. http://albionroar.co.uk/archive.php

That time he joined you on the show back in August 2011, he was really excited about it. After he finished I picked him up outside the studio and we drove back to the house, grabbed some bits and went to the Downs in Woodingdean. Had a quick beer and jumped on the minibus down to the Amex.
We queued up to get in there, grabbed a beer and went straight to that poem. He read it with a tear in his eye, and toasted to it. It meant a lot to him as we were there through the bad and the good. It always struck a chord with him. Every single game he went to he would always toast to that verse. Even on the last playoff game he turned up with 20 mins till kick off, grabbed a 1664, and went to toast it. He stood with me and my mates like we always did and had a quick laugh and gave our score prediction. We knew he had cancer at that point. I didn't realise it would be the last game I went to with him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here