Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 guess the food is back!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Looks like a decent meal at a reasonable price, maybe a dish I'd prefer in colder months though.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but I suggest the OP was expecting an outcry of 'look at the state of that' and 'how bloody much' when the reality is that it apears to be a decent enough meal at slightly inflated pub prices, something you'd expect taking into account its being served in a football lounge.

I appreciate there's almost certainly room for improvement in our lounges but when I read these criticisms or pick up on these subtle digs and moans I imagine a small and brattish clique of 1901ers who would still moan if they were served Michelin stared dishes by the finest, most attractive french waitresses.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
brought in yorkie 9p,3 pork and leef sos 39p x3 ,one portion of buttered(maybe)mash potato 30p and red wine and onion gravy with cheap wine and red onions 35p=food cost 1.91

Surely this is irrelevant. Anyone can get a pack of bacon containing 48 rashers for £11 from Malpass which equates to 23p per rasher. Go into a cafe and you will be charged around £3.00 for a bacon sandwich, do you complain that it only cost them around 60p (with bread/butter) to make? Also, remember that they will get the bacon at trade price which is around £7-8 so even cheaper.

My only qualm with my statement is that the last pack of bacon I got was that there was only 38 rashers! I think they may be doing a Cadbury's and making the portion smaller but keeping the same price! :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If someone could be bothered to trawl back through your various 1901 food posts over the last three years, do you believe they'd think the same?

I was in the past but you'll just have to trust me these posts are just for fun these days. I even had two requests to re-instate them last season so they even had a small following; I presumed these were for amusement value although I think one was sarcastic.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Surely this is irrelevant. Anyone can get a pack of bacon containing 48 rashers for £11 from Malpass which equates to 23p per rasher. Go into a cafe and you will be charged around £3.00 for a bacon sandwich, do you complain that it only cost them around 60p (with bread/butter) to make? Also, remember that they will get the bacon at trade price which is around £7-8 so even cheaper.

My only qualm with my statement is that the last pack of bacon I got was that there was only 38 rashers! I think they may be doing a Cadbury's and making the portion smaller but keeping the same price! :(

11.00 quid !!!!your paying 3.50 to much!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Those in 1901 now - what is the take up of the various dining options?

It sounds like it plummeted a year or so back but it's important for the club and us that it works - are more people eating now?

Smeagull

Mar 20, 2012
Here is the swill from last night's game. A virtual pat on the back to the first person who can name all the items. And what do you reckon the cost is?

About 8 years ago I used to work in a chain pub and this looks almost identical to what used to be served, including the way it's presented. Every item was microwaved except the burnt onion (or was it parsnip) that was placed on top for presentation. Cost about £5 and was actually edible but once I found out how it was cooked (and that the mash came in pellet form that looked like animal feed) I no longer wanted to eat it.

I would have thought that the food on offer in the 1901 would look a lot better than cheap pub food especially at those prices.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
About 8 years ago I used to work in a chain pub and this looks almost identical to what used to be served, including the way it's presented. Every item was microwaved except the burnt onion (or was it parsnip) that was placed on top for presentation. Cost about £5 and was actually edible but once I found out how it was cooked (and that the mash came in pellet form that looked like animal feed) I no longer wanted to eat it.

I would have thought that the food on offer in the 1901 would look a lot better than cheap pub food especially at those prices.

Pellet form mash. Reminds me of Smash, a popular meal in my student house was to get a pint glass, pop some smash, gravy granules and frozen peas into it, top with water and stir. Lovely.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

It sounds like it plummeted a year or so back but it's important for the club and us that it works - are more people eating now?

In the Overline Lounge, for the past 2 games, there has been 10-15 tables used by those taking the 3 course meal. Last season towards the end there was about a 100 eating for most meals.

For the buffet (theatre) meals last night looked like there was a lot of food left over, I'm taking a guess, but maybe 30+ people taking the option, a friend of ours has it most games, says it's fine. I've not tried it, but the missus did a couple of times last season, she thought it was nice enough.

As I understand it, the quality of the meals is a decent improvement over the first couple of seasons, they've adjusted the pricing a number of times, and I think the 3 course meals are now very competetive compared with other clubs offering for match day hospitality. I think for the 1901 members it seems quite pricey (it does to me) because I was expecting more of a "club" type arrangement (how it was sold to us), whereas it is now most definately "matchday hospitality".

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
In the Overline Lounge, for the past 2 games, there has been 10-15 tables used by those taking the 3 course meal. Last season towards the end there was about a 100 eating for most meals.

For the buffet (theatre) meals last night looked like there was a lot of food left over, I'm taking a guess, but maybe 30+ people taking the option, a friend of ours has it most games, says it's fine. I've not tried it, but the missus did a couple of times last season, she thought it was nice enough.

As I understand it, the quality of the meals is a decent improvement over the first couple of seasons, they've adjusted the pricing a number of times, and I think the 3 course meals are now very competetive compared with other clubs offering for match day hospitality. I think for the 1901 members it seems quite pricey (it does to me) because I was expecting more of a "club" type arrangement (how it was sold to us), whereas it is now most definately "matchday hospitality".

So is that an increase or decrease? 10-15 tables with 10 people on each table = 100-150 people? Or 10-15 tables with 2 people on each table = 20-30 people? Presumably somewhere in between so not much of a decrease, if any?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So is that an increase or decrease? 10-15 tables with 10 people on each table = 100-150 people? Or 10-15 tables with 2 people on each table = 20-30 people? Presumably somewhere in between so not much of a decrease, if any?

I think tables are bewtween 4-6 mainly, not many big ones. I'd say, for the 1st 2 games of this season it's a decrease for sure, towards the end of last season I'd guess it was double the number. Then again, the end of last season was exciting, but since then we lost the manager, we haven't replaced the players who've gone, and the prices have gone up, so I guess there is a bit of goodwill for the club to win back there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Based on my experience I don't eat, just the occasional pie.

I would say in the lounges I've been into in the last season or so hardly anyone is having a meal. Sat next to a guy last night who got his sandwiches out at half time. We both agreed that giving the club any more money at the moment on top of what we have already paid just isn't worth it.

I hear a kids meal is now £17 in the concourse? How can that be right?

They're screwing us too far now. Fees and price increases all over the place. I even got charged a £1 a ticket for going to collect my Leeds away tickets. How do they justify that?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Lincolnshire pork sausages on a bed of champ potato with Yorkshire and a red onion gravy?

9.95 probably about the going rate.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Pellet form mash. Reminds me of Smash, a popular meal in my student house was to get a pint glass, pop some smash, gravy granules and frozen peas into it, top with water and stir. Lovely.

Pellet mash has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years - It's pretty good quality nowadays, just add butter and seasoning (no water required). The traditionalists won't ever accept it. It does keep the prices of dishes down though, much less labour intensive. Which can only be good.

A few years ago it was like eating wallpaper paste

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here