Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is David Burke now under extreme pressure

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
TB has defended him so far, as you would expect, and to be fair he has done some great progressive things for the club. But, if I was his boss, I would be asking questions about how and why this transfer window has been so poor. Of course, it might not all be down to him, but there are definitely question marks over this. I still think there is more than meets the eye here - Hypia and Garcia both seem powerless to influence signings - did Hypia really want O'Grady? leave it out....

I agree with this. I couldn't believe in a month of Sundays that Oscar Garcia said last year go out and get me Andrews and Chicksen and Obika, and Hyypia won't have listed anyone like O'Grady. I cannot subscribe to the view that Bloom has blind faith in Burke - but I do believe it is his job to defend him in public until the moment it is clear he has not got the contacts or capability to attract decent players.

As many have said we have unbeatable facilities, but salaries really talk louder than all of that, which is sad but true. Our squad has become progressively weaker and weaker and it might be saved by a bunch of last minute "surplus to squad" premier league loanees - and that is a strategy that might or might not produce a team that can gel together. What I'm not sure about is when the circle wil be broken - can we really see FFP being a leveller (no!) - and why build Premier League facilities and populate them with League One quality players. Sometime the strategy will need amendment, and no doubt well before crowds like last night's become the norm.

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
the dreaded 'FFP' - am starting to think it is something Tony said to Barber 'Fleece Fans Paul'.......

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Part of the problem could be that a few players that would have fitted into a certain style but since hyypia that style is no longer in operation and so it's back to drawing board.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Been quoted on the radio today saying we're working hard to comply with FFP. We certainly are - by selling the whole f**king team.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
TB has defended him so far, as you would expect, and to be fair he has done some great progressive things for the club. But, if I was his boss, I would be asking questions about how and why this transfer window has been so poor. Of course, it might not all be down to him, but there are definitely question marks over this. I still think there is more than meets the eye here - Hypia and Garcia both seem powerless to influence signings - did Hypia really want O'Grady? leave it out....

Agree with this

Smeagull

Mar 20, 2012
From BBC's "Sportsday - football transfers latest" an 13:42:

Brighton & Hove Albion head of football operations David Burke hopes the Football League will clamp down heavily on those clubs who fail to abide by the new Financial Fair Play rules.
Championship clubs are permitted to make a loss of £8m this season, according to rules approved by member clubs last year, with those who fail to comply set to face sanctions from the League.
"We at Brighton have been planning and working hard to get in line with FFP," Burke told BBC Sussex. "There are a number of clubs that we know already will not be within the financial limits.
"We hope the Football League will be really strong with the transfer embargos and the fines, or taxes, are imposed properly. The idea is that these clubs will be penalised."

So there you have it, that's the latest transfer news, just more talk of FFP. Of course he's right and I hope that clubs that do break it get penalised but we all know it'll be a slap on the wrist anyway. Surely we're pretty safe for this year and can afford at least a couple of signings.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Bottom line is, if Burke cannot deliver the right players and do his job, then he need to be replaced. If not then the man above him is not doing his job either. The buck starts at the top i'm afraid.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Like yeah - lets blame Bloom for the mess we are in! :ffsparr:

It's is his club, he is the chairman and the man with the final say. If agents/clubs have a problem making deals with Burke for whatever reason, then this is a major problem and the man should be removed. Maybe that's down to Barber, but then who's Barber's boss???......Oh it's the chairman, Tony Bloom has done wonderful things for this football club. But that does not mean he is above reproach.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
It's is his club, he is the chairman and the man with the final say. If agents/clubs have a problem making deals with Burke for whatever reason, then this is a major problem and the man should be removed. Maybe that's down to Barber, but then who's Barber's boss???......Oh it's the chairman, Tony Bloom has done wonderful things fr this football club. But that does not mean he is above reproach.
Lets resume this chat when the window shuts shall we. If you really think he needs you to explain this to him then you either are a wind up merchant or think he was lucky to make his money

DavePage

Do we scout for the whole of English football.
It’s looking like we seem to find a good player, get strong ties, it gets leaked and then some larger (or smaller) club comes in and offers a better deal.
Or are we just Gull-able?
Cue the interest in Lee Wallace

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It's is his club, he is the chairman and the man with the final say. If agents/clubs have a problem making deals with Burke for whatever reason, then this is a major problem and the man should be removed. Maybe that's down to Barber, but then who's Barber's boss???......Oh it's the chairman, Tony Bloom has done wonderful things for this football club. But that does not mean he is above reproach.

Putting upwards of £150m into the club would say that he is. As it is he is covering an £8m loss, with are a previous loss of £14m.

I've lost count of how many players we need now given Buckley is going. Has it reached double figures now

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Lets resume this chat when the window shuts shall we. If you really think he needs you to explain this to him then you either are a wind up merchant or think he was lucky to make his money

I don't think he is lucky to get his money at all. He is clearly a very intelligent man, who knows when the time is right to fold. He called when giving Poyet the crown jewels to work with, it very nearly worked. Now maybe he thinks it's time to cut and run and recoup what you can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here