Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is David Burke now under extreme pressure

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Tony Bloom stated we would have a competative squad in by the end of the tranfer window. For him to say this, he must feel that he has supplied David Burke with a budget that would fullfil that promise. Sami has stated that he has given the club his targets and we know now that money has been added to that original budget with sales. So will he now be under pressure to back up Tony Blooms statement and bring the quality in enough numbers to the club?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The pressure is on, but you can't force players to come here!

If we lose out for purely financial reasons then the fault lies with the policy of the money men on the board.

But there are dozens of scenarios of why a player would pick another club over us. I'm sure it will come good. :)

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

If we lose out for purely financial reasons then the fault lies with the policy of the money men on the board.

But there are dozens of scenarios of why a player would pick another club over us. I'm sure it will come good. :)

No there's not. It's all because Burke is terrible at his job, it's got (apparently) nothing to do with anything else.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I would suspect burks skills are not player recruiting,done a great job on the clubs infrastructure,but seriously doesn't have the skills or contacts to find quality players.I would suspect that poyet himself had very good contacts back in the day even though he's a nob.

He seems to follow one club at a time...
Swansea
Barnsley
Next it'll be barnet:lolol:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

No no no, it's obviously all the fault of Burke.

We could offer players a King's ransom to play for us and they'd say no, simply due to his mere presence within the club.

Or something like that anyway, I don't actually follow that logic at all so I can only guess at the mental reasoning of those that do.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Tony Bloom stated we would have a competative squad in by the end of the tranfer window. For him to say this, he must feel that he has supplied David Burke with a budget that would fullfil that promise. Sami has stated that he has given the club his targets and we know now that money has been added to that original budget with sales. So will he now be under pressure to back up Tony Blooms statement and bring the quality in enough numbers to the club?

...and so, the pish stained sheets need washing again

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Do people really think that our transfer dealings are siloed off from the rest of the club and David Burke is the only person who has anything to do with it?

Obviously I don't know if they are anymore than anyone else does, but it all just seems a bit far fetched that he is the only one involved with making bids and negotiating wages. I refuse to believe that Tony and Paul don't have a say in how much we offer to clubs and players, and that they're not all talking to each other every day.

Whatever our squad is on September 1st the responsibility lies with all of them.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
No there's not. It's all because Burke is terrible at his job, it's got (apparently) nothing to do with anything else.

So for Tony Bloom to make the statement at the forum, that players would be brought in to strengthen the squad he must feel that Burke, with the budget available, is capable of getting those players and has backed him to do so. I make that in my mind, that the pressure is on Burke to live up to his bosses expectations.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I don't remember seeing your name on the roster for starting the Burke thread this morning? ???

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I would suspect that poyet himself had very good contacts back in the day even though he's a nob.

I've posted this question before. I rekon Poyet is always on the lookout for players and has his own network of scouts/contacts to tip him off and he's probably built it up over a few years while at Swindon, Leeds and Spurs. He's more of an old school manager in that respect.

We did seem to struggle a bit more when Oscar came in, although Burke's record on signings isn't half as bad as people make out. Everyone uses Kemy and Obika as examples for Burke, but Poyet signed Harley on big wages and he let Murray leave on a free. Nobody in the history of the game has a 100% sucess rate in the transfer market.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It seems unlikely.
He has the backing of Barber and Bloom. He has a budget which he is sticking to. He is doing his job properly. If players are going elsewhere due to being offered greater wages there is little Burke can do about that. Like it or lump it we are going to stick to FFP and therefore the wage structure won't be broken and we won't be forced into making signings for inflated prices.
End of really.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
So for Tony Bloom to make the statement at the forum, that players would be brought in to strengthen the squad he must feel that Burke, with the budget available, is capable of getting those players and has backed him to do so. I make that in my mind, that the pressure is on Burke to live up to his bosses expectations.

We may have given him the financial backing, but as i mentioned in another thread there's far more to signing a player than the financial side - take Clayton, for example. We can clearly afford him, but Huddersfield want to replace him before losing him - if they can't do that then they won't sell. The reason he's going to 'Boro is that Huddersfield can get a player (Butterfield) to replace them. We're in a lose-lose situation.
Another example (and this is only an example) - Steve Harper. He was happy to come to us on a short term loan but wouldn't have ever been a permanent signing because he was settled in a different part of the country and didn't want to uproot, or be away from his family. In instances like that, there's absolutely nothing we can do about that. Another example is Ward - apparently he wants to be here, we can afford his wages but Wolves are being stubborn over a fee. We could throw them a few quid but it is harming them financially to keep him on their books, therefore making our bargaining position that much stronger.

If we are being priced out of the market for realistic targets then i can accept that is the clubs fault. Unfortunately we don't know the full details of every enquiry/transfer. It'd be awesome to know as then the fans can understand what goes into signing a player but the club will (rightly) not have that level of transparency.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

This really intrigues me. I dont know how the process works, but assuming we get an offer accepted, I would imagine the player would come down for a tour of the facilities and local area. Trying not to look through rose coloured specs, but the Amex is magnificent, the training ground is again magnificent, although not seen it, and can only go on the rating. So the player has fantastic state of the art work facilities and although an unproven manager a manager with a great footballing pedigree and experience that you would hope would encourage players to sign. I dont know if the club has a must live in sussex policy? However there are considerably worse places to live and London is very close, on the face of it, it seems that everything would be in place to encourage a prospetive player to want to sign for the Albion. So what is the issue? The logical conclusion would be wages. EG Grabban, apparently Clayton. Who knows maybe its Burke, Barber and Bloom perhaps they rub agents and players up the wrong way. It does seem the only conclusion is we are not competitive on the wages and not prepared to gamble with FFP. That is fair enough we know more that a lot of clubs about financial ruin. However what does worry me is the sale of the big stars if you like, without apparent replacements in place. I hope to be proved wrong, its a big big fourtnight for the club. It will be very interesting to see where we are come september 1st.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
It seems unlikely.
He has the backing of Barber and Bloom. He has a budget which he is sticking to. He is doing his job properly. If players are going elsewhere due to being offered greater wages there is little Burke can do about that. Like it or lump it we are going to stick to FFP and therefore the wage structure won't be broken and we won't be forced into making signings for inflated prices.
End of really.

This is what I find a bit of a puzzle, how can Tony Bloom tell the fans we will bring in many players in before the start of the season (as he stated in his video interview) if he knows we can't compete on fee's and wages?
If he said we will struglle to compete, then fans would accept this better. Has he not got his finger on the pulse or is he not getting the true picture from his staff?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here