Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do I really need to buy a train ticket london rd to falmer return?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Another example of ticket office cock up. Mine also says "transport levy adult £4"

Then you adopt a totally deadpan expression when challenged by railway officialdom, shrug your shoulders and refer them to the club. Obviously. It's the only way the amateurs on the club's commercial side will ever learn to raise their game, when it starts significantly hitting them in the pocket.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
£3.40 or a £20 penalty fare? Or maybe worse? Its your call.........

do-you-feel-lucky-punk.png

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
£3.40 or a prison sentence, the choice is yours.

Prosecution for fare evasion
The Railway Byelaws make it an offence to travel without holding a valid ticket and being able to show it on request. A breach of this byelaw is punishable in law and, if found guilty, you would be subject at present to a fine of up to £1000.

An operator can also prosecute for ‘intent to avoid a rail fare’ under the Regulation of Railways Act 1889, s.5 (3) and you may be fined or sentenced to imprisonment for up to three months.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Look at it this way. Are you a gambling man?

If you are then lets say hyperthetically you didnt buy a ticket for tonight. Chances they will check you and all other 7000 people I would imagine are very slim.

If you win you gain £4.

If you lose and you are checked without a ticket your looking at about a £20 fine.

For me it would be option A everytime.

There won't be 7000 travelling by train. I'd be surprised if there weren't checks.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

It's not though, is it, for any ticket for tonight that bears the words "transport levy adult £4"? Not that it would be a prison sentence by any stretch of the imagination anyways, but those words on your printed ticket are a Get Out Of Jail Free card. As it were.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

The Railway Byelaws make it an offence to travel without holding a valid ticket and being able to show it on request. A breach of this byelaw is punishable in law and, if found guilty, you would be subject at present to a fine of up to £1000.

An operator can also prosecute for ‘intent to avoid a rail fare’ under the Regulation of Railways Act 1889, s.5 (3) and you may be fined or sentenced to imprisonment for up to three months.

And by the same logic its still legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow inside the walls of York. Quoting legal acts from the 1800s does not mean you would go to prison today for bunking the bloody train.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014

But you can go out and rape some poor teenage girl and get a caution. Our laws are a complete joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here