General Election 2015

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Billions wasted on a failed IT system for the NHS
Uncontrolled immigration from outside the EU

It pains me to pull up an fellow anti-EU'er but ....

Even under Labour we had controlled immigration from outside the EU and the Tories are following exactly the same rules.

The NHS IT system failure wasn't exactly Labours fault. I was working with one of the suppliers at the time. The failure came from the trusts and the staff themselves. There was a power struggle and many didn't want to give up the systems they already had in place ( mostly incompatible with each other ). They couldn't even agree on a universal email system. You see loads of people say the NHS should be removed from political control ( which I tend to agree with ) but it takes no account of the fact that many decision makers within the NHS play politics anyway.

What was required was a diktat from central government that this was the system going in and every trust HAD to use it. Instead they left it to the trusts to agree and the suppliers were left with an impossible task of trying to marry up many opposing requirements. Typical public sector really.

D

Deleted member 22389

It pains me to pull up an fellow anti-EU'er but ....

Even under Labour we had controlled immigration from outside the EU and the Tories are following exactly the same rules.

The NHS IT system failure wasn't exactly Labours fault. I was working with one of the suppliers at the time. The failure came from the trusts and the staff themselves. There was a power struggle and many didn't want to give up the systems they already had in place ( mostly incompatible with each other ). They couldn't even agree on a universal email system. You see loads of people say the NHS should be removed from political control ( which I tend to agree with ) but it takes no account of the fact that many decision makers within the NHS play politics anyway.

What was required was a diktat from central government that this was the system going in and every trust HAD to use it. Instead they left it to the trusts to agree and the suppliers were left with an impossible task of trying to marry up many opposing requirements. Typical public sector really.

Noted on these things. May be I should rephrase that part about uncontrolled migration from outside the EU, and may be focus on the quality.
Sometimes you need other opinions on these things.

D

Deleted member 22389

I just hope that enough people who are angry with the Tories for whatever reason pause when they are in the voting booth and ask themselves whether they really want Milliband, Balls, Cooper, Harman etc. + perhaps Nicola Sturgeon running this country.

That's the problem isn't it. All these pre-election promises and people who get sucked in at the last minute.

Glad I have worked out of my options beforehand, glad to say Labour will definately not be getting a vote from me. We have voted Labour throughout our family, but not anymore.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I woke up this morning to the sound of Ed Miliband being interviewed on 5Live. The presenter asked him if he knew how long it took to become a GP. He guessed at 7 years and the presenter corrected him, telling him it was 10 years. Red Ed didn't come back at them, evidently accepting his ignorance.

And the NHS is supposed to be Labour's baby, their "jewel in the crown". The man's a joke.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does anyone want to take my proxy vote to the ballot box for me?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I woke up this morning to the sound of Ed Miliband being interviewed on 5Live. The presenter asked him if he knew how long it took to become a GP. He guessed at 7 years and the presenter corrected him, telling him it was 10 years. Red Ed didn't come back at them, evidently accepting his ignorance.

And the NHS is supposed to be Labour's baby, their "jewel in the crown". The man's a joke.
He certainly is. Frightening isn't it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I have to agree. That really is unforgiveable.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
UKIPs manifesto.

1517702_10153095017868115_8792885733237823086_n.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

He certainly is. Frightening isn't it.

I have to agree. That really is unforgiveable.

In fairness, and I'm not defending him, but it is a slightly leading question, and 10 years isn't a definitive answer either. The 10 years is dependent on your qualifications going into medical school, but it can be anything from a 4 to 6 yr medical degree (depending on specialities), 2 foundation years, then 3 years vocational training. But this is all dependent on certain choices and pathways your take. A hospital doctor can be considered qualified within 6 or 7 years. Many GP's will actually take 13 years to be a fully qualified GP, although some can do it as little as 9 depending on the courses and choices they make.

Not a straightforward answer at all. So in essence, both EM and the interviewer are wrong in trying to give definitive answers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In fairness, and I'm not defending him, but it is a slightly leading question, and 10 years isn't a definitive answer either. The 10 years is dependent on your qualifications going into medical school, but it can be anything from a 4 to 6 yr medical degree (depending on specialities), 2 foundation years, then 3 years vocational training. But this is all dependent on certain choices and pathways your take. A hospital doctor can be considered qualified within 6 or 7 years. Many GP's will actually take 13 years to be a fully qualified GP, although some can do it as little as 9 depending on the courses and choices they make.

Not a straightforward answer at all. So in essence, both EM and the interviewer are wrong in trying to give definitive answers.

I'd expect Miliband to be able to explain - in simple terms - that vocational training is a variable factor but, typically, it's 8-10 number of years to produce a GP.

He should know this stuff, just like he should have known his conference speech. It worries me that he seems to be "winging it" all of the time, and on a separate point I don't really want to hear a would-be prime minister using phrases like "bring it on" and "big up" either - it reminds me of life imitating art, in this case when Ali G Indahouse got elected to Parliament.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Good old Red Ed .... helping keep the cost of living down ..... NOT ! So not only did he lumber us with higher energy bills when he was part of the previous Labour government but now his ridiculous promise to fiddle with the free market means we still pay more than we would otherwise need to.

"Suppliers have also indicated that they are reluctant to cut bills significantly before the General Election in May.

Last year Ed Miliband pledged that a Labour government would freeze energy bills for two years. Suppliers say they are nervous of cutting bills and then being unable to raise them again in the event wholesale prices start to rise.
"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
YouGov/Sun poll tonight 29th Jan... Labour at 5 year low for YouGov polling, Greens at a new high:

CON 32%
LAB 30%
UKIP 15%
GRN 10%
LDEM 8%

As things stand, and as a natural Lib Dem voter, I shall be voting green for the first time in my life. I don't agree with all of their policies but they make a fine protest vote in my true blue seat and the others are all bigotted clowns (UKIP) or hypocritical unelectable muppets (Labour) or unprincipled sacks of shìt (the other two).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As things stand, and as a natural Lib Dem voter, I shall be voting green for the first time in my life. I don't agree with all of their policies but they make a fine protest vote in my true blue seat and the others are all bigotted clowns (UKIP) or hypocritical unelectable muppets (Labour) or unprincipled sacks of shìt (the other two).

I'm in the same boat. Sustainability is very close to my heart, so may well be where my cross ends up.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Good old Red Ed .... helping keep the cost of living down ..... NOT ! So not only did he lumber us with higher energy bills when he was part of the previous Labour government but now his ridiculous promise to fiddle with the free market means we still pay more than we would otherwise need to.

"Suppliers have also indicated that they are reluctant to cut bills significantly before the General Election in May.

Last year Ed Miliband pledged that a Labour government would freeze energy bills for two years. Suppliers say they are nervous of cutting bills and then being unable to raise them again in the event wholesale prices start to rise.
"

Anyone that didn't see this coming - presumably the entire Labour party - has no idea about economics and is not fit to run this country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here