Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth season and transport, catering issues are still not sorted!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I find it bizarre that there are so many reports of "staff can't tell the fillings apart" when the pies themselves have a label on them telling you what flavour they are. I've NEVER had the wrong one given to me!
!

I once had the wrong pie given to me three times in a row - after the third time, I just got my money back. I've not bothered with a pie since then

There's no 'of course' about it. The beer used to be reasonably priced and now it's overpriced. I could be wrong but I think it's gone up by about 90p a pint since we've been there. And no, I don't expect to pay more in a sporting venue ...

But why not? Every sporting venue I've ever been to tends to have above-average prices: beer at Twickenham and Lord's is eye-wateringly expensive (and crap beer to boot). I really have no objection to paying a few pence above the norm (although I would if it were a couple of pounds).

Mind you, I arrived on Saturday having been roped into a game of touch rugby with the Lewes women's rugby team. I was hot, sweaty and gagging for a pint - I'd have willingly paid a fiver for that.

Where I do agree with you is the doing away with the ST holder's discount after the game: the 15% off was a nice inducement to hang around for a while. There's no reason now: I don't understand how Barber can talk about getting people to stay afterwards to take the pressure off the traffic, while simultaneously removing incentives to do so

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
This is all about elasticity of demand which is what this is all about: by how much does demand drop when you put the price up.

So the club has clearly calculated that beer demand shouldn't drop off that much if prices go up: isn't it a captive market, all those unquestioning, boozy blokes, crammed into those concourses?

Except that it clearly isn't: as the 1901 food consumers have already demonstrated, people already have plenty of other options at their fingertips if they feel they're being ripped off. I think fans are far cleverer than the club is taking them for.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Got to the ground around 2.30pm after seamless train travel as usual. Had a pint at half time, had a pint afterwards, got on train to Brighton after about a 5 minute wait. Is there another stadium in the country that works as well as that for that size crowd? I'm yet to visit one if there is.

Got to the ground around 2.30pm after seamless train travel as usual. Had a pint at half time, had a pint afterwards, got on train to Brighton after about a 5 minute wait. Is there another stadium in the country that works as well as that for that size crowd? I'm yet to visit one if there is.

Probably still about 7,000 short of capacity,but its good to know the commander is premier ready! :rolleyes:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Yeah! That is exactly how they get you! If you think it is too expensive don't buy it. Stand up to them! People power!

Exactly.

I can't really afford to pay £4.20 a pint, so I don't, and have a few beers before and after in town. I'm also yet to understand this 'pub snobbery', whereby someone would rather pay £4.50 for a pint that would cost £2.30 somewhere else. I couldn't care less where I drink, as long as my mates are there.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This is all about elasticity of demand which is what this is all about: by how much does demand drop when you put the price up.

So the club has clearly calculated that beer demand shouldn't drop off that much if prices go up: isn't it a captive market, all those unquestioning, boozy blokes, crammed into those concourses?

Except that it clearly isn't: as the 1901 food consumers have already demonstrated, people already have plenty of other options at their fingertips if they feel they're being ripped off. I think fans are far cleverer than the club is taking them for.

But if that's true then they'll have to put the prices back down again. If people genuinely feel they are being ripped off then they should stop buying the beer. Personally, I don't, so I'll keep buying it. The price of a pint is only a few pence more than it is in the pubs around the station. I'm happy to pay a few pence more to be able to drink it in the stadium. Maybe they made it too cheap to begin with.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Probably still about 7,000 short of capacity,but its good to know the commander is premier ready! :rolleyes:

Which grounds have you visited that do it better for that sized crowd? Middlesbrough on a Tuesday night in February 1974?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I find it bizarre that there are so many reports of "staff can't tell the fillings apart" when the pies themselves have a label on them telling you what flavour they are. I've NEVER had the wrong one given to me!

They've only been doing that relatively recently because of the issues with 'pie roulette' in the early Amex days. I've never been given the wrong pie, which is fortunate as I'm a veggie weirdo, but I was given a box marked as a veggie pie once, only to open it and find it contained a cheeseburger. I took it back, swapped it over, and retreated to enjoy my pie. Another cheeseburger. I think it was a case of third time lucky in the end.

Where I do agree with you is the doing away with the ST holder's discount after the game: the 15% off was a nice inducement to hang around for a while. There's no reason now: I don't understand how Barber can talk about getting people to stay afterwards to take the pressure off the traffic, while simultaneously removing incentives to do so

Have they? Essentially the only time you will pay full price for a pint is if you buy at half-time.

60 minutes or more prior to kick off – 15% cashback
30-60 minutes prior to kick off – 10% cashback
0-30 minutes prior to kick off – 5% cashback
Kick off – full time – 0% cashback
Full time – 30 minutes post match – 5% cashback
30 minutes – 60 minutes post match – 10% cashback
60 minutes or more post match – 15% cashback

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Exactly.

I can't really afford to pay £4.20 a pint, so I don't, and have a few beers before and after in town. I'm also yet to understand this 'pub snobbery', whereby someone would rather pay £4.50 for a pint that would cost £2.30 somewhere else. I couldn't care less where I drink, as long as my mates are there.

Can you really get a Kronie for £2:30somewhere else it's £4:05p in my local. Magners at £5 is taking the piss a bit though

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They've only been doing that relatively recently because of the issues with 'pie roulette' in the early Amex days. I've never been given the wrong pie, which is fortunate as I'm a veggie weirdo, but I was given a box marked as a veggie pie once, only to open it and find it contained a cheeseburger. I took it back, swapped it over, and retreated to enjoy my pie. Another cheeseburger. I think it was a case of third time lucky in the end.

I'm a veggie too, which is why getting the meat pie was such a balls-ache. I'm glad to hear the process has changed

Have they? Essentially the only time you will pay full price for a pint is if you buy at half-time.

60 minutes or more prior to kick off – 15% cashback
30-60 minutes prior to kick off – 10% cashback
0-30 minutes prior to kick off – 5% cashback
Kick off – full time – 0% cashback
Full time – 30 minutes post match – 5% cashback
30 minutes – 60 minutes post match – 10% cashback
60 minutes or more post match – 15% cashback

But that shows they have done away with the 15% discount, it's now 5%, so we have to pay 10% more.

As I said, I'm too fussed about the price, it's not that outrageous, but as the thread has people threatening mutiny over a 30p rise, a 42p increase must be petty larceny to them

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
They're the most up to date figures available.

Taking those figures, a pint is more expensive at the Amex than every single London club, (bar Fulham, with whom we are level). That's comparing with a more expensive location than Brighton, and given those are Premiership grounds, one would expect to pay a premium.

The closest Championship club, Charlton, charge £3.35.

Not strictly true, a pint of fosters last season cost £4.70 at Stamford bridge.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

staben94

Jun 11, 2012
Greenwich/Hastings
Whatever you do, don't go to West Lower Concourse next to Block D, the staff there are absolutely useless. Joined a queue of about 6 people in front at 14:31, finally was served at 14:51. 20 minutes to wait, was a bit annoyed with that as the game was nearing very closer to kick off. Got served and ask for a Balti Pie and Sprite for me, Cheeseburger and Coke for my brother as part of the £6 meal deals. £6 x 2 = £12. Our female cashier we went to, said that'll be £14. After questioning her about the price, she went through it and said, yes because you've ordered 2 beers with that. At this point we were completely shocked, and point out we had a coke and a sprite. So she went through it and changed it all and then said, that'll be £12.60. Once again, we reminded her we ordered two £6 meal deals. (Soft Drink and a food item). So she restarted again, for the 3rd time. Next came, that'll be £13.10. I'm sorry but did we employ young people without the ability to add up simple figures and use an electronic cash till?

At this point, as it was 2 minutes before kick off, my brother paid for it by card and was set to pay £13.10, to then find out on the machine, it read: Total Cost: £12.30. Not to mention, after waiting 30 minutes for food and drink to nearly miss kick off, she then said "Sorry about the wait."

We seriously need to sort this out, fast.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Mill Road P&R was fine on Saturday. Left a couple of minutes before full time purely because I needed to get home in good time.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think that is how the world works. You expect to be compensated for purchasing a pint ?

It is expensive but being at the ground with friends I am happy to purchase a pint and enjoy the moment. I am not going to be thinking about the few more pence.
To a certain extent - yes. After all beer is much cheaper in supermarkets because they aren't providing you with glasses and somewhere nice to drink it. And neither are the football club as the draughty concrete concourses would have to be there whether there were bars there or not.

But your second point is fair comment, Each to their own and I know loads think like you, and I'm also sure the club have done their sums. Selling Harveys at a vastly-inflated price may well result in a few scratchers like me dipping out, but this will be more than compensated for by the overall increased revenue from the ones who don't care, and also if the catering queues are shorter they'll get less complaints!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But why not? Every sporting venue I've ever been to tends to have above-average prices: beer at Twickenham and Lord's is eye-wateringly expensive (and crap beer to boot). I really have no objection to paying a few pence above the norm (although I would if it were a couple of pounds).

Without wishing to sound like Herr Tubthumper in Germany the beer is no more expensive inside the grounds than it is outside, something that is manifestly not true at the Amex. The bar at Gillingham was reasonable (although I only got let in a couple of times), and of course the Sportsman was ok price-wise. What is it about the British that makes us accept rip-off prices because 'everybody else does it'?

... and I never mentiond the ST holder's discount. I'm not a STH and as you don't care about my plight I don't care about yours! Well done Mr Barber, make those STHs pay the proper price! :lolol:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

It's also about capacity, since at HT demand exceeds supply constrained by queuing, hence no discount at HT. Different demand curve for same product at different times in different locations.

When the weather's decent, my preference is outside The Swan at £3.40 per pint even if they don't do Harvey's. Harder to do at HT(!), hence the more inelastic demand then due to lack of close substitutes.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here