Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we happy about the club giving the rest of the league a potential 5 game head start?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I am pleased with the squad we have, but I do think that points have and will still be lost because the team have not had time to gel.
There was a free kick on the edge of the box yesterday when three players Gardner, Holla and Lualua were all fighting for the ball to take the kick, just a little thing but does show that players are not sure who does what. So I still think it will take a few games before Sami will even know what his best team is and points will be dropped in the process.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am pleased with the squad we have, but I do think that points have and will still be lost because the team have not had time to gel.
There was a free kick on the edge of the box yesterday when three players Gardner, Holla and Lualua were all fighting for the ball to take the kick, just a little thing but does show that players are not sure who does what. So I still think it will take a few games before Sami will even know what his best team is and points will be dropped in the process.

True. The squad now looks good, but is still 'work in progress' I guess. Yes it would have been nice to have got some of the new players in earlier (there was an interesting quote in the Birmingham programme from Grant Hall, one of the ten new players added to the Birmingham squad...."He (the Manager) has got everyone in from the start of pre-season so we can gel as a team together - with ten new signings, that is the key") but I guess changing the manager at the end of the season must disrupt the recruitment process - the players, or type of players, that OG might have wanted could be quite different from Sammi's ideas of what's required.
Onwards and upwards! Let's hope Sammi does well, and if he does, that he doesn't depart next May!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
We'll you got that right. And it's not too bad is it, two points from the playoffs? I was wondering what the head start we have given actually is, and I think it's one point, which would have been a draw against Birmingham, had we had a couple of more players in sooner. Eight points would have been par for me, given we have a new manager, new system, new players. So, I'm feeling happy and wondering what the point of the extreme angst of some on here three weeks ago.

I love a good bump and attempt at humiliation on a Sunday :thumbsup:

Whether you like it or not we effectively did give up those first six points. We had a poor squad with little to no depth and it's taken over half a dozen signings to get us into a position to look like a solid Championship side again. We now have to watch them gel for another month or so getting to know our style of play etc, that will cost us points too and now we've made those signings I'm less worried than I was but I am still disappointed at just how underprepared we were. We gave away 6 points and we will surrender some more due to the situation we placed ourselves in, the difference between you and me is that I won't be bumping this if we miss out on top 2/6 by 6 points :cool:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I love a good bump and attempt at humiliation on a Sunday :thumbsup:

Whether you like it or not we effectively did give up those first six points. We had a poor squad with little to no depth and it's taken over half a dozen signings to get us into a position to look like a solid Championship side again. We now have to watch them gel for another month or so getting to know our style of play etc, that will cost us points too and now we've made those signings I'm less worried than I was but I am still disappointed at just how underprepared we were. We gave away 6 points and we will surrender some more due to the situation we placed ourselves in, the difference between you and me is that I won't be bumping this if we miss out on top 2/6 by 6 points :cool:

You got a thumbs down the first time. Have another!
Hyypia was still assessing the team, players may not have been on the market. The transfer window doesn't finish until tomorrow. No-one surrendered anything. Stop talking utter arse.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Hyypia was still assessing the team, players may not have been on the market. The transfer window doesn't finish until tomorrow. No-one surrendered anything. Stop talking utter arse.

Oh, like a knife through the heart is that thumbs down :bla:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah, you're wasting your time i'm afraid. Logic and sense have no place with people like that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a cheap shot to bounce threads like this after the event. We certainly gave the rest of the division a six point lead. Who's to say threads like this didn't cumulatively play some part in focusing the minds of the 3B's? They almost certainly weren't expecting the level of criticism aimed at them at the start of the month.

Quality imaginative signings by the way :thumbsup:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Those 6pts will more likely than not deprive Albion of the playoffs for sure this season let alone aotomatic promotion.
I think most people who know anything about football at all will understand this.
It's great we are getting there with a squad but it's no where near complete and we still need a 30 + a season goal scorer.
Eh hem Assombalonga !! Oh didn't I mention that months ago.
All these signings are good but could have been done far far sooner than they were.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Those 6pts will more likely than not deprive Albion of the playoffs for sure this season let alone aotomatic promotion.
I think most people who know anything about football at all will understand this.
It's great we are getting there with a squad but it's no where near complete and we still need a 30 + a season goal scorer.
All these signings are good but could have been done far far sooner than they were.

Would I be right in thinking that maybe that select group who knows anything about football includes such visionaries as yourself? :dunce:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Would I be right in thinking that maybe that select group who knows anything about football includes such visionaries as yourself? :dunce:

It's true though isn't it !!!
Or are you just one of those great Oracles who think only their opinion counts on all things Albion ?
Quite a few of those on here.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

There's only one players that's scored 30 goals in this division in the past 10 years.

Still, you're funny. I like that you've got a sense of humour when you post.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yesterday proves we have a long way to go,we are going to get topsy turvy results for the foreseeable future,perhaps up to the festive period,hopefully not,but Sami will have to keep the squad happy,find his best starting team and players as individuals have to settle,and that means a lot of players...

We have in reality,regardless of when the new signings were made,given ourselves a season deficit by the sheer amount of changes,time will tell if we get lucky and find our feet quicker..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why didn't we win yesterday then ?

Because Charlton were quite good? Can't comment on the Sheffield Wednesday game, but if we'd had a couple more of the new signings settled in at Birmingham, Birmingham were there for the taking - we were just abysmal that day.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Chelsea once walked this division by not winning any of their first 6 games-99 points in 1988-89.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm still amazed that everyone talks about this mythical 6 points we've apparently binned from the first 2 games, as if all we had to do was rock up and claim them.

Wednesday have had a decent start too the season, and whilst Brum are undoubtedly poor, you can never get a nailed-on 3 points in ANY away game in this league.

In a 46 game season there's going to be plenty of points we piss up the wall, as well as a fair few we fluke. The arrogance of assuming we "threw away" 6 points in those first two games is ridiculous.

If the squad was fully assembled in July then we'd have had a better chance of getting something, for sure. But not many teams are fully assembled by that stage anyway, and we were not one of them. Deal with it.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I'm still amazed that everyone talks about this mythical 6 points we've apparently binned from the first 2 games, as if all we had to do was rock up and claim them.

Wednesday have had a decent start too the season, and whilst Brum are undoubtedly poor, you can never get a nailed-on 3 points in ANY away game in this league.

In a 46 game season there's going to be plenty of points we piss up the wall, as well as a fair few we fluke. The arrogance of assuming we "threw away" 6 points in those first two games is ridiculous.

If the squad was fully assembled in July then we'd have had a better chance of getting something, for sure. But not many teams are fully assembled by that stage anyway, and we were not one of them. Deal with it.

Quite right the so called 6 points.

You are pushed to call a nailed on HOME 3 points to be honest.

We lost them games. Move on. Look forward

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here