Harveys = £4.20?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Just paid £3.80 in Hastings Old Town for pint of Spitfire. Once discount comes off the Amex doesn't seem quite so expensive.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
They have tested the waters with previous price rises. This one might just be the limit. I stopped buying the program, now I sometimes don't buy food and maybe now I'll leave earlier and have a beer at home. It's all fine until you get the feeling you're being taken. This is just on the limit now. Another rise next year and that's me out of buying beers.
The funny thing is it could potentially damage atmosphere. You only need a few hundred deciding not to buy drink in the ground before the game and how much do you affect atmosphere?
Cheaper beer=more fans drinking=better louder atmosphere.
I really think the club are going backward with this price rise. What's next a loan shark or mobile phone shop sponsor? £5 Fosters and sponsored substitutes? I mean we aren't that far away from that now are we? Push prices over that in pubs and you get the feeling fans are subsidising the club. Harvey's is 80-40p cheaper all over Sussex at the very least. I'm disappointed that Harvey's allow Bhafc to charge that much for their beer.

feel the same, sorry BHA , but you can shove it ..........

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Pukka pies are absolutely disgusting, but anyone willing to pay north of £4 for a Piglets pie is an idiot.

I await the flaming...

Piglet's were good in the first season at The Amex, since then they've been getting progressively poorer in quality to the point that many will not be buying this season-me included. And that was before the £4.20 price tag.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Most stadiums don't make a song and dance about getting people there early and leaving late to eat and drink due to their sustainable transport plan depending on it
That's it in a nutshell. People saying "Well it's still cheaper than London" or "It's only another 30p what's the problem?" or "We need to maximise all revenue streams" are missing the point. The club wanted us to stagger our departures and arrivals, and providing good food and drink at a reasonable price was the 'carrot' to make us do that. Either that need has now gone (perhaps due to the increased capacity on the railways), or they reckon that for most people this increase won't in fact be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I only go to a few games so I thought I'd probably halve my intake, but talking it over with my son we've decided to dip out altogether. We'll get dropped off and picked up at the Hikers and, sadly, will forgo the delights of queueng for the privilige of standing up to drink out of plastic whilst simultaneously trying to eat a pie. The upshot of that is as I will now be treating the Amex like any other football ground (i.e. I won't eat or drink there) I no longer give a toss what they serve. John Smiths and Pukka Pies instead of Harveys and Piglets? Fine, I don't give a shit now.

EDIT: Just editing to add that we're not STHs, so how do we go about getting this discount that keeps getting mentioned, or is it a STH-only thing?

Last edited:

Piglet's were good in the first season at The Amex, since then they've been getting progressively poorer in quality to the point that many will not be buying this season-me included. And that was before the £4.20 price tag.

I know I'm in a minority of 1 or 2 here, but apart from the Lancashire Hot pot pie I thought they were all overhyped, even in the first season.

I certainly won't be buying anything at all to eat now and limiting myself to 1 pint rather than 4 or 5.

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
I must admit I haven't read the whole thread, but let's remember that if you do stay back straight after the final whistle and have a beer to try and "help the club out" to ease crowd congestion, they cut the discount to 5%, so you're still talking about £4 pints. It's not a great incentive to be honest...

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
Half time brews only now, Hikers or Bear win. Hiker's edges it because of the chippy nearby

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This. I remember purchasing a set of their pies from the shop in Shoreham just before the AMEX opened and it was a very different item to what you get now. Still better than Pukka though.

paul & shark

Sep 17, 2013
Its standard, we are customers, the days football customers being seen as football fans by clubs are long gone in this country

££££££££££££££££££££

AMF.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
It's the same with any successful pie company. Pieminister for example used to be chock full of filling, they then got supermarket gigs and the quality decreased. Piglets are the same now they've expanded so rapidly. I like some of the specials, but I can't see me ever buying one of the regulars ever again.

If I want a pie, I'll get a box from the Real Pie Co, whose fill level is ridiculous. We also have an amazing butchers nearby who do really good pies for about half the price.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Its standard, we are customers, the days football customers being seen as football fans by clubs are long gone in this country

££££££££££££££££££££

AMF.

Which is funny, because for years, football folk complained about being treated like fans (as in: stupid, unfailingly loyal, gullible) rather than customers (which is, in the context of most public-facing businesses, a type of person to be treated well, whose opinions should be sought and valued).

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Like a lot of things Albion right now the SUPER fans, UBER supporters, the LICKERS decided that Piglets Pies were FANTASTIC when like anything else done mass catering in a stadium were average at best, anyone criticising them and they come out with the go to Old Trafford whatever as they're afraid to say they were WRONG

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Think I'll get the bus to the Hare and Hounds after a game. Decent range of beers and great food. I don't really like Harvey's or any of the others and cannot imagine paying 4.20 for a beer.

My mate went in the Hare and Hounds shortly after it reopened. Two largers and a pint of guniess £14.80

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It's the same with any successful pie company. Pieminister for example used to be chock full of filling, they then got supermarket gigs and the quality decreased. Piglets are the same now they've expanded so rapidly. I like some of the specials, but I can't see me ever buying one of the regulars ever again.

If I want a pie, I'll get a box from the Real Pie Co, whose fill level is ridiculous. We also have an amazing butchers nearby who do really good pies for about half the price.

Canhams Butchers on Church Rd does a lovely Angus Steak pie, makes Piglets look like the mass produced shite they are

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here