Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys = £4.20?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Whereas I think you'll find they won't. People go to the football, they buy a pint. After that first pint, the second & third & fourth don't look so expensive, oddly enough.

We all spend a fortune on football these days. I'm not saying that's right, but I doubt many people are going to refuse to buy their regular pint because it's £4.20 compared to the (bargain!) £3.90 it was last season.

Hiking up ticket prices might put off the match-by-match goer, because the ultimate investment is a significant one (£30- £40).

The price of a pint isn't, because if all your mates are standing around knocking back a beer, the vast majority of regular drinkers aren't going to decline because of a 30p increase. If there is genuinely somebody on here who cannot afford a pint of beer at a Championship football game that they've bought a £36 ticket for because it's going to cost them 30p more than last season: PM me. I'll give you that 30p myself.

Very true!

It's just a shame the Amex had gone from very reasonable drinks prices to this in such a short space of time. Harvey's had gone up 60p in 3 years. Surely there is a tipping point.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The club sell the concourse areas, they do have control.

Unless it's stated in the contract that the club has special price capping restrictions (which I highly doubt, hence the increase), they actually have no control. The club has already been paid for the space. What profits the company makes doesn't effect that price, so it's not in their interest about the profits they make (to an extent) because it doesn't benefit them.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Wasn't £3.90 last season? A bit bloody steep to rise by 30p, around 7.5%, in 3 months. No doubt I will still pay it, presuming the STH discount it still there.

are they still reducing the meat content too?
first season pies were excellent. by end of last season i'd lost the faith in them.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Very true!

It's just a shame the Amex had gone from very reasonable drinks prices to this in such a short space of time. Harvey's had gone up 60p in 3 years. Surely there is a tipping point.

Of course there is. And I hope that's not coming across like some wanky City banker who lights £50 notes at the bar & pays £40k for a bottle of Chateau Lafite with lunch. I earn what normal people earn. And I don't think we're at the quantum pricing point yet where people say "No, I won't pay it". 30p- to most people- is such an insignificant amount that this argument that sales will plummet seems flimsy at best. As has been pointed out- there are places (most cinemas, a number of Brighton bars/pubs/clubs, the theatre, concerts, many Premier League clubs, major & not-so-major sporting events) where you will pay in excess of £4.20 for a beer.

I don't think that's great value or anything, and I'd be more than happy with £2.50. But it's not going to happen, ever again. That's just what happens. It would only change if sales dropped. And they won't, not at current prices.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm probably, along with others, the reason prices increase. I might groan, but in the company of friends, what is 30p or an extra £1.20 plus for a round?

I'd not baulk at those prices, if I were to spend money at an event. We have, sadly, come to expect that maximising profits is an accepted occurrence.

The most I have paid for a pint was £5.20 in a Fulham pub. The price in itself is ludicrous, but how much less would be acceptable? The price of a packet of chewing gum? That's now 52p or something ridiculous.

Stop buying and hope others do the same if you want prices to drop. Not overly helpful, considering the vast majority will still buy. The 30p is a loss of pintage, if you buy 14 of the buggers.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I'm probably, along with others, the reason prices increase. I might groan, but in the company of friends, what is 30p or an extra £1.20 plus for a round?

I'd not baulk at those prices, if I were to spend money at an event. We have, sadly, come to expect that maximising profits is an accepted occurrence.

The most I have paid for a pint was £5.20 in a Fulham pub. The price in itself is ludicrous, but how much less would be acceptable? The price of a packet of chewing gum? That's now 52p or something ridiculous.

Stop buying and hope others do the same if you want prices to drop. Not overly helpful, considering the vast majority will still buy. The 30p is a loss of pintage, if you buy 14 of the buggers.

In all fairness, a 5% increase (of an already inflated price) is a significant one. If someone drinks two pints a game, that's and extra £9.20 a year. That's £9.20 which hasn't been justified yet.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
In all fairness, a 5% increase (of an already inflated price) is a significant one. If someone drinks two pints a game, that's and extra £9.20 a year. That's £9.20 which hasn't be justified yet.

10,000 fans paying an extra £92,000 is enough to sign er.... no one. I see your point.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In all fairness, a 5% increase (of an already inflated price) is a significant one. If someone drinks two pints a game, that's and extra £9.20 a year. That's £9.20 which hasn't be justified yet.

Listen to that again. £9.20. In a YEAR. Two & a half pence a day. Many of us would spend four times that on a single night out in the pub. It costs me nearly seven times more than that to fill my car up with petrol, once.

They won't justify it at all, as you well know. I don't like being taken for granted but I think the Albion have done far worse over the years than that. Me, I'd rather worry about the cost of football tickets than pints, as that's what will kill the game off in the end, not 20p on a beer.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
10,000 fans paying an extra £92,000 is enough to sign er.... no one. I see your point.

Unjustifiably increasing the price of something by 5% (higher than the current inflation rate) is actually significant, so no. You don't see my point.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Unjustifiably increasing the price of something by 5% (higher than the current inflation rate) is actually significant, so no. You don't see my point.

I do. That price increase equates to bugger all in the grander scheme of things and I doubt the club would see all that profit. We're being squeezed left, right and centre to pay players fabulous wages, when I would suggest much, much less than 1% of the crowd earn more than the lowliest paid, excluding the rookies.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I do. That price increase equates to bugger all in the grander scheme of things and I doubt the club would see all that profit. We're being squeezed left, right and centre to pay players fabulous wages, when I would suggest much, much less than 1% of the crowd earn more than the lowliest paid, excluding the rookies.

The club are not profiting from this though, because all sales go towards the contractors of the concourse spaces. It's the principle of a 5% increase which is annoying me, and the money isn't even going towards the club, though they've already made 9M (I think) from leasing the spaces. You're already paying an inflated price too, so now it's an inflated price + 5%. That's quite a lot for some people, especially students like myself.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
£4.20 though. £4.20! Yes it's only 30p more than last seasons for each pint. Are we willing to say it again next year? It's only 60p a pint more. It's only 90p a pint more. 3 pints a match x 23 matches = over £50 a season in a couple of years. That's extra.
Yes it's lovely to have a local beer at the local stadium, we're lucky. Why then bloody take the piss?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Can anyone name a league ground with cheaper ale?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Nice. Queues should be half the size this season then.

Maybe I'm just used to London prices, but £4.20 doesn't seem outrageous to me. About £3.80-£4.00 seems to be the going rate, so an extra 20p for a captive audience in a football stadium seems about right. I paid £5.20 in a pub the other day. £5.20!! Now that is taking the piss. You used to be able to get 8 cans for that. Imagine what the atmosphere at the Amex would be like if you could get 8 cans for a fiver.
Forget the atmosphere, think of the que for the toilets :ohmy:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
It's not the overall price that is the main issue (although it is on the high end) it's the increase of 30p. Last season it went up 10p which was ok, the same again this year would have been ok too. I'd be interested to know if any local pubs raise their pints by 30p a time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here